Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Cardiff 401 compared to Shimano Calcutta 201B  (Read 16208 times)

aaron600

Shimano Cardiff 401 compared to Shimano Calcutta 201B
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »

So I'm very new to baitcasting reels, and have only had my first one (Shimano Cardiff 401) for about a month now. I recently received a Shimano calcutta 201B (Gold version) I purchased online, and it seems that the drag on the Cardiff is much stronger than the Calcutta. With the Calcutta I can completely tighten the star drag and still pull line out (With some effort) but if I tighten the star drag on the Cardiff down there is no way I can pull the line out like I can on the Cardiff. So, is this normal because of the reel size difference or is something wrong with the Calcutta? I have also noticed the cast control knob on the Calcutta 201 is quite stiff when turning compared the to the Cardiff.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:30:15 PM by aaron600 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Shimano Cardiff 401 compared to Shimano Calcutta 201B
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:33 AM »

Hmmm...strikes me as a bit odd. Is the Calcutta new? I would say take it out and fish it and be very careful not to ding it up, and if the drag is really sucking then return it (if possible). Even though the 201 is a smaller reel it should have a pretty solid drag. The Calcutta is one of the best baitcasters out there IMO it just sucks you can't get a 401 (only 400) or else I would have bought one long ago :o

Check online on Shimano's website and see what the drag rating is in lbs from the 201 to the 401. Say they are both 12 lbs, well then they should both feel pretty similar when you torque them down.

It IS possible that some knob tightened the drag hard on this 201 and it sat that way for a while and the drag washers got compressed, in which case your max drag is now much less than specs.

If the drag does appear to suck and you got a good deal on the reel and want to keep it, it's not a huge deal to swap out the drag washers. I had the drag washers upgraded on my cardiff 401 and 6501C3 and noticed a big difference. Guy I take my reels to charged me about 25 bucks a reel I think.

The Shimano Currado E series has a GREAT drag I have a 301E and the factory drag is better than either of my two other baitcasters with upgraded drags. It is my fav reel by far :)

aaron600

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

Yeah the reel is brand new, but came with the drag super tight. Are there any local shops that repair Shimanos? Im close to Sea Run but I know they send there stuff out.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:28 AM »

Both the Calcutta 201B and the Cardiff 401 have a max drag of 11 lbs according to Shimano's website.  Go here to look up specs on each reel:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/round_baitcasting.html

Mike's Reel Repair in Abbotsford can do repairs, and they also sell parts as well (you can order them online).  I have a Calcutta 200B and it is one of my favorite reels! I'm not sure if I like it over my Lune 253, but it is a very nice reel to use for sure.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »

Any warranty ?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »

Here's what I would do. Take it to Sea Run as the staff there are awesome. Perhaps don't mention you bought it online  ;)They can check it out, compare the 201 to the 401, maybe hook a scale up to it and test the drag in lbs. If confirmed yes the drag is no good, then I would contact the seller and inquire about a return/exchange. AND I would contact Shimano Canada and see what they have to say. Chances are they will repair for free if you ship to them, or they might have an authorized repair centre in this area.

If none of this pans out well, or you just cant be bothered and dont mind paying a shop to fix it, then I would ask around and go to where others reccomend. I have used Mike's in Abby, no issues but I felt they overcharged on labor. For years I've been going to Express Reel Service which is just off the no.3rd exit (between Abby and Chwk). IMO he does fantastic work, reasonable prices, and great customer service.

aaron600

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »

Thanks for the advice Spawn Sack. Ill stop by Sea Run today and go from there.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Ya man no worries. They'll be able to tell after a few tugs on the line if, yup that's how it should feel, or nope this drag is NFG. Bring the Cardiff as a comparison. If you're lucky they'll have another 200/201 calcutta and you cant spool a bit of line on it, torque down the drag, and see how it compares to your same reel. Let us know how you make out.

aaron600

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »

Took it to Sea Run today, and they said it will be fine for now, but they can tell the drag washers were compressed from the star drag being kept cranked too tight during shipping etc... Just use it for now, and bring it in after next years fishing season and they will send it to Shimano for me. Very nice and informative as usual.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:16:52 PM by aaron600 »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »

Right on! Such great staff there. That souunds reasonable. Even though the reel seems to have less drag than factory specs, it more than likely has ENOUGH drag "left" to handle your average fish. Most of the time when my I'm fishing my drag is, I dunno, maybe 2/3rds or so as tight as it will go.

FYI you will likely have to pay a small ($20ish my guess) fee for them to sent the reel to Shimano, but surely less than taking it to a shop and paying them parts + labor. This is typical for most warranty claims on rods etc there is a flat fee for claims. I busted a fly rod this summer (my fault) and is was a $40 fee and in a month I got a new rod. Pretty fair IMO.

Also, in the event you don't know ALWAYS back your drag right off on any reel after a days fishing. I do this on my fly reel, everything. Not good for the drag washers to sit for days...weeks...months being compressed.

Lemme know how you like the 201. Now you kind of have me thinking of buying one as I LOVE the pervious generation Calcutta B reels but you can't get the 400 series in LH >:( The 200/201 I reckon would be a good reel for steelhead paired with a lighter salmon rod. My Curado 301E balances awesome on my lighted 10"6 med power salmon rod. On the beefier 11"6 med/heavy the reel is too light and I have to use the Cardiff 401.

If you have some more $ burning a hole in your pocket consider a CurradoE in 201 or 301. Don't even consider the G series they are crap. Abu Garcia Record (RCN 6601-HC) with the higher capacity spool also awesome and under $200. G/F fished one all salmon season and it worked flawlessly and hauled in MANY big arse salmon. I tried it out a few times and yup, it rocks.

losos

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »

Right on! Such great staff there. That souunds reasonable. Even though the reel seems to have less drag than factory specs, it more than likely has ENOUGH drag "left" to handle your average fish. Most of the time when my I'm fishing my drag is, I dunno, maybe 2/3rds or so as tight as it will go.

FYI you will likely have to pay a small ($20ish my guess) fee for them to sent the reel to Shimano, but surely less than taking it to a shop and paying them parts + labor. This is typical for most warranty claims on rods etc there is a flat fee for claims. I busted a fly rod this summer (my fault) and is was a $40 fee and in a month I got a new rod. Pretty fair IMO.

Also, in the event you don't know ALWAYS back your drag right off on any reel after a days fishing. I do this on my fly reel, everything. Not good for the drag washers to sit for days...weeks...months being compressed.

Lemme know how you like the 201. Now you kind of have me thinking of buying one as I LOVE the pervious generation Calcutta B reels but you can't get the 400 series in LH >:( The 200/201 I reckon would be a good reel for steelhead paired with a lighter salmon rod. My Curado 301E balances awesome on my lighted 10"6 med power salmon rod. On the beefier 11"6 med/heavy the reel is too light and I have to use the Cardiff 401.

If you have some more $ burning a hole in your pocket consider a CurradoE in 201 or 301. Don't even consider the G series they are crap. Abu Garcia Record (RCN 6601-HC) with the higher capacity spool also awesome and under $200. G/F fished one all salmon season and it worked flawlessly and hauled in MANY big arse salmon. I tried it out a few times and yup, it rocks.

Why are you insisting on saying there is no Calcutta 401 ?  Just type Calcutta 401 in your browser or go to Amazon.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »

We are talking about the previous generation gold color 400B. This reel was never made in left hand. You can get the NEW generation in 401, but these reels are like $400ish and the old gen about $260. However the gold ones are SOLID reels esp for that price they were more like $350ish when new. Really cheeses me off Shimano never made a 401B. You can get the 201B which I'm sure is a great reel, but too small for the rod I wanted it for. I got the Cardiff 401 which is a totally decent reel I've had it for 4 years and it's caught a ton of fish and still going strong. But it's no Calcutta B. I like the new Calcutta's but don't know anyone who has owned/tried one. $400 for a baitcaster is a bit much for me.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »

Actually, Shimano did make the gold Calcutta as a 401, but this was a previous generation to the "B" Series.  The smaller Calcutta was called the 250/251, whereas the "B" series has the 200/201B.  Bottom line is that to get a Calcutta 401, which was discontinued a number of years ago in favor of the "B" series, you probably have to get one second hand.  Either way, it looks like you were both partially right.    :D :D :D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »

Actually, Shimano did make the gold Calcutta as a 401, but this was a previous generation to the "B" Series.  The smaller Calcutta was called the 250/251, whereas the "B" series has the 200/201B.  Bottom line is that to get a Calcutta 401, which was discontinued a number of years ago in favor of the "B" series, you probably have to get one second hand.  Either way, it looks like you were both partially right.    :D :D :D

Interesting, and I think I get what you're saying. So as we know there is no such thing as a Calcutta B 401, only the 400. However, are you saying if I can find a good condition used (or new if so lucky) Calcutta 251, it will be the same or close to the same size/specs as the Calcutta B 401?

Magz

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »

Spawn sack said the key words:BACK THE DRAG OFF after your finished fishing for the day...always always.you will have strong trouble free drag for years doing this.