Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead fishing question  (Read 7179 times)

Ian Forbes

Re: steelhead fishing question
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »

Hey Ian, are you the ol` Ian Forbes in Angling BC. Back before these new forums  came out?

Same old guy, except I don't do any winter steelheading anymore because I spend my winters in Thailand roaming around on my motorbike. I fish for mahseer instead of winter trout and steelhead.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »

"a bunch of Kingfisher's" I'm sure the self righteous anglers planned this photo op.

You're not picking up what I'm throwing down... The angler pressure that the ched system sees messes with the fish. They sit in F'd up water and you REALLY need to be able to get a good drift with a good presentation to get fish consistently. Almost all of my ched fish come from water that is around 2' deep right on the very edge of the fast water, most of the time my float is just in the fast water. By fast water I don't mean some seam in a pool, I mean a full out wide run of fast water. The fish are so pressured they're forced out of their normal water and into the less fished water. Returning fish has nothing to do with catching fish compared to angler pressure. If you think more returning fish equals more fish landed you are so very wrong. What's a good day on the ched system for you or anyone for winter steelhead? 1 or 2 MAYBE 3?  ::) ::) ::) That many fish a day is PATHETIC I think...

But I know I am some arrogant PoS with a HUUUUUUUGE ego to proove  ::) damn I must be a KINGFISHER  :o ;D

I'm not sure quite what you are saying, Johnny Canuck, but the Kingfishers in the 1950s and 60s were the greatest bunch competitive lowholers anywhere. They would cut off their best buddy just to get first crack at a pool. You had to be on your game 100% of the time just to keep up. If we arranged to meet at a specific time a few would arrive an hour early just to get ahead of his friends. It was a foot race everywhere.

No, that wasn't a staged photo. It was just a normal get together.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »

Covering as much water as possible is key to steelhead success on the vedder it really is hiking and fishing at its core. I personally have a hand full of spots i will go because i have caught fish there or my friends have and then fish everything in between just because you can never be sure where the fish are. When you dont get anything for hours and your freezing just remember these fish are so aggressive they will bite even if its a solo fish hanging out. The hardest part of steelhead fishing is breaking that mental barrier and being positive, if you give up within a few hours and you start to think its pointless, in most cases you wont get anything.
[

sbc hris

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »

Covering as much water as possible is key to steelhead success on the vedder it really is hiking and fishing at its core. I personally have a hand full of spots i will go because i have caught fish there or my friends have and then fish everything in between just because you can never be sure where the fish are. When you dont get anything for hours and your freezing just remember these fish are so aggressive they will bite even if its a solo fish hanging out. The hardest part of steelhead fishing is breaking that mental barrier and being positive, if you give up within a few hours and you start to think its pointless, in most cases you wont get anything.

Excellent advice. Covering lots of water is key. Along with staying positive