Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baitcaster, How Much Mono  (Read 12276 times)

GordJ

Re: Baitcaster, How Much Mono
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

I am not sure why it came across as suggesting research. I was commenting on the "keep it simple" posts that suggested (in my opinion) that having braid as backing and mono as "running line" was adding a degree of complication that could cause problems.
I meant to refer to all the other set ups we use to suggest that one more knot wouldn't add a degree of complication that should preclude considering this set up.
And I did not suggest research but I did say that I have been utilizing the double surgeon knot for quite a while and I should add that have never had an issue, either on my 20 lb. mono to 30 lb. braid or my 30 lb. mono to 40 lb. braid. If I am particularly anal I will tie the occasional triple surgeon, especially if I think that springs are likely.
I switched to this setup after an experience with bad mono. Rather than buying 250 m's of Maxima every year I now get 100m's and don't have to throw away the 150m's of line, that only gets to feel water a few times a year (and the last 50m never leaves the ree), which means a lot less line in the garbage. I am no eco freak and I wouldn't have to go hungry to buy new line but it makes no sense, either financial or ecologically, to me, to do this when I can spool up 250m's of braid every 10 years or so and 100m's of mono instead of 250m's yearly and only throw 100m's in the trash rather than 250 m's each year.