Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Cardiff 401 compared to Shimano Calcutta 201B  (Read 16116 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Shimano Cardiff 401 compared to Shimano Calcutta 201B
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »

Interesting, and I think I get what you're saying. So as we know there is no such thing as a Calcutta B 401, only the 400. However, are you saying if I can find a good condition used (or new if so lucky) Calcutta 251, it will be the same or close to the same size/specs as the Calcutta B 401?

The Calcutta 250/251 was replaced by the Calcutta 200B/201B.  I believe if you want a left handed Calcutta, then you should look for a Calcutta 401, which predated the "B" series.  Good luck.

FrayedKnot

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »

I have fished both quite extensively and imho the Calcutta is twice the reel. As was stated I always back the drag off when not in use, I was told to do that by a friend many yrs ago. I had my Calcutta stolen and have been using my backup Cardiff for a few yrs.  I had to send the Cardiff in to shimano and  I got it back repaired with no charge and Freds didnt charge me either. Fished the Calcutta for 8 yrs without a problem and the Cardiff is in need of another service. Im going to retire it and find another over the winter.... 

sbc hris

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »

Spawn sack said the key words:BACK THE DRAG OFF after your finished fishing for the day...always always.you will have strong trouble free drag for years doing this.

Yup. learned this the hard way

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 11:57:50 PM »

The Calcutta 250/251 was replaced by the Calcutta 200B/201B.  I believe if you want a left handed Calcutta, then you should look for a Calcutta 401, which predated the "B" series.  Good luck.

Got ya. Older 251 = same size as newer 201B.

I've looked online and the only thing that comes up for Calcutta 401 is the new ones. Can't find anything in 401 predating the 400B series. As already discussed no 401B was made. Gonna keep an eye out for an older pre B series 401 :D

Thanks for the help :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »

FrayedKnot:
I'm confused...both reels being discussed, the 250/251 and the newer 200/201B are BOTH Calcuttas :o The B series is just newer, but if you were to look at them side by side they would look very similar and both say "Calcutta" on the side.

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:02:19 AM by Spawn Sack »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 12:05:49 AM »

Yup. learned this the hard way

I think backing the drag right off when not in use is #1. Other tips I've learned from guys and I follow is keep a neoprene cover on it when not in use and when you're walking to/from your fishing spot. So when you slip and fall you don't drive your reel into the muck. Also keep it on when at home as it keeps the dust of it. Anoter good tip is do NOT submerge your baitcaster! They are not fully sealed and water will get inside. Water + grease = not good :o

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

I've been watching a Calcutta 251 on ebay but the bidding has gone over what I'm willing to pay.

Lots of newer 201B reels out there I quite like them, might buy one :)

Has anyone heard of the Calcutta 201XT? From Japan, used, in good condition. Specs look pretty similar to the 201B but it's a bit lighter. Drag is rater "4kg" which is less than the 11lb sold in N.America.

Here is a link to one. If you scroll down in the pics youcan see that the one side has lots of cool looking holes in it. YES I realize that's just one more place for dirt to get in, but I always keep a cover on my reels when not in use and I never place them down in the much while fishing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-CALCUTTA-201-XT-LH-Baitcasting-Reel-/370938167865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565da34239

Any opinions? I'm thinking of taking a chance and ordering from Japan. Contacted the guy who services my reels and he said should be no prob to get parts for here...should eb the same as the B series.

Suther

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

Has anyone heard of the Calcutta 201XT? From Japan, used, in good condition. Specs look pretty similar to the 201B but it's a bit lighter. Drag is rater "4kg" which is less than the 11lb sold in N.America.

4kg is less than 11lbs, but 5kg is more than 12lbs... so it might be the same drag,  it just doesn't convert nicely without decimals.

losos

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

4kg is less than 11lbs, but 5kg is more than 12lbs... so it might be the same drag,  it just doesn't convert nicely without decimals.

Could you repeat this again.

fisherforever

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

4 kilograms = 8.81 lb,  5 kilograms = 11.02 lb. Since when is 11 greater than 12  :P

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »

Haha don't worry guys I get the math ;) According to the guy who services my reels they both have the same guts. I wonder why the Japs didn't rate it 5kg, as that's closer to 11lbs than 4kg :o It's a smaller reel I'd use in slower water with a lighter rod so I wouldn't have the drag torqued right down anyway. If I buy it and am not happy with the drag I can always upgrade the washers. I have a bid on one right now but a few days left until auction is over. Fingers crossed.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

Rather than pay for shipping and the delay it would take to get it back .... I would take a drive out to Mikes in Abbotsford and have them install carbon fibre drag washers and do some other upgrades probably cost you the same and your reel will be better than brand new stock washers if they aren't too busy you would probably be able to pick it up the same day

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

Rather than pay for shipping and the delay it would take to get it back .... I would take a drive out to Mikes in Abbotsford and have them install carbon fibre drag washers and do some other upgrades probably cost you the same and your reel will be better than brand new stock washers if they aren't too busy you would probably be able to pick it up the same day

I like this idea :) Also nice to get your reel cleaned/serviced but that costs extra $. Personally I have dealt with Mike's and Express Reel Service and found ERS to be a bit more reasonably priced. Same $ for parts but less $ for labor. Neither are cheap...last reel I had serviced was about $50 but I got the optional "super tune" which includes buffing all the friction points. Reel came back smoother and quieter than brand new out of the box :o

I doubt it's hard to figure out how to do the basic parts swaps etc on a baitcaster but the reels come back so buttery smooth I don't mind paying $50 once every 1-2 years for my reels. And with a monster fish on the reel needs to perform at it's best esp the drag! Reminds me of fishing a popular run this summer on the Vedder...guy beside me was having reel issues it was pretty noisey and wasn't engaging properly after casting. Looked like he had a Calcutta 400 B or TE. Anyway after a long lull in the fishing he hooks into a HUGE coho at least 15 lbs, he's battling it well, bringing it into the slack water, suddenly his reel locked up or something went majorly wrong with it and he couldn't reel, and while trying to sort it out with the fish on it snapped his leader. Morale of the story: If you don't know how to maintain your gear, pay someone to do it. Same goes for your vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:10:22 PM by Spawn Sack »

losos

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »

I like this idea :) Also nice to get your reel cleaned/serviced but that costs extra $. Personally I have dealt with Mike's and Express Reel Service and found ERS to be a bit more reasonably priced. Same $ for parts but less $ for labor. Neither are cheap...last reel I had serviced was about $50 but I got the optional "super tune" which includes buffing all the friction points. Reel came back smoother and quieter than brand new out of the box :o

I doubt it's hard to figure out how to do the basic parts swaps etc on a baitcaster but the reels come back so buttery smooth I don't mind paying $50 once every 1-2 years for my reels. And with a monster fish on the reel needs to perform at it's best esp the drag! Reminds me of fishing a popular run this summer on the Vedder...guy beside me was having reel issues it was pretty noisey and wasn't engaging properly after casting. Looked like he had a Calcutta 400 B or TE. Anyway after a long lull in the fishing he hooks into a HUGE coho at least 15 lbs, he's battling it well, bringing it into the slack water, suddenly his reel locked up or something went majorly wrong with it and he couldn't reel, and while trying to sort it out with the fish on it snapped his leader. Morale of the story: If you don't know how to maintain your gear, pay someone to do it. Same goes for your vehicle.

I used to bring my reel for servicing to Mike ,but I live far away and that presents a big problem to me.
Instead I learned to take car of my reels myself. $ 50 serves as a reel upgrade fund,bearings etc.
However i understand someone who for one or other reason put more trust in professionals. 
If your reel fails at the worst moment it's easier on your own psyche to blame others - just joking.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:19:02 PM by losos »