Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coming soon to Langley  (Read 44593 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: coming soon to Langley
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »

dont feel bad about spending money at wholesale, they are canadian i believe.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »

dont feel bad about spending money at wholesale, they are canadian i believe.

Yes they are, Canadian owned!!

You guys will be suprised how much stuff you can get there, Not only Fishing and hunting. There is a large Camping area, Clothing, Marine, Smokers, Freeze Dried food, Archery, wildlife art, Books, etc.......

We will be focusing on customer service, and will be trying to give the small shop feel, while giving the big store pricing.

Rick Passek
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »

Congrats on the job Rick. Havent heard from you in a long time. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »

Congrats on the job Rick. Havent heard from you in a long time. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thanks Brian;

I have been CRAZY busy. I worked the Olympics and Paralympics, and then got this job and have been working full time with the crew at Wholesale to get the store ready for opening.

I haven't even had a chance to go fishing since befroe the Olympics, MAN AM I GOING STIRR CRAZY without any fishing!!!!

We will have to get together soon and hit the water, maybe try to get Milo and Murf to join us.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »

Are you planning to carry some good quality vacuum sealers. ( I don't mean Food Saver)

whereismyfloat

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »

Congratulations Rick,

I'll look forward to bumping into you in the coming months.

RE: Wholesale Sports coming to town.

I for one couldn't be more pleased. It will save me the drive down to Bellingham.

At the same time,  I definitely feel for the guys at Galilee & Army/Navy. Over the years both stores have been good to me and I fear that this is likely to impact their business significantly.

Truth be told however, this could hardly be considered  unexpected. Fishing/Hunting/Camping gear is a commodity based business. And whenever we talk about commodity based businesses its the low cost producers that survive long term. I've thought about owning a fishing store in the past but a quick glance at the industry risks turned me off rather quickly. At least for the scale of store I would be able to consider. In business, its common to think about 5 forces that shape the competitiveness within an industry. They are; The threat of new entrants; Threat of substitute products; Bargaining Power of the Buyer; Bargaining Power of the Suppliers; Rivalry's with competitors. Anyone can walk through these points and compare a small shop like Galilee to Wholesale Sports and won't take them long to conclude who the winner will be.

I hate to say it, but I doubt that a small shop like Galilee (however much we like the people) can compete with Wholesale Sports in any of these areas. Their products will be supplied at a cheaper cost, translating to a cheaper price.

Perhaps the only potential advantage a small shop has is it's customer service. But my experience, shopping at Wholesale Sports in Bellingham has been excellent. I suspect that over time if Rick and his team concentrate their efforts on building relationships and providing excellent customer service habits the game will be over for the small fly & tackle businesses in Langley.

RIP Galilee, imo

WIMF

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »

Ill be sure to check it out for sure....now I heard last year that Bass Pro Shops had bought some land in Langley. Can anyone confirm this?
Take the T out of Morton.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

I think that Bass Pro Shop owns Wholesale Sports, basically sister companies or something along those lines.

this is just what i was told by several people but it could be way off as well
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »

I think that Bass Pro Shop owns Wholesale Sports, basically sister companies or something along those lines.

this is just what i was told by several people but it could be way off as well

As far as I know, Bass Pro and Wholesale Sports are NOT related in ANY way. I check it out and if I find out anything to the oppisite, I will let youy know.

As for Bass Pro coming to Langley, I heard that a few years back, but as far as I know Bass pro are NOT coming to BC (At least for some time)

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle

purple monster

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »

But, what about poor old Stevenson.  Are they going to have to get off their chairs and look for work or something to do.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »

Congratulations Rick on your new appointment!

Having had a chance to take my first casting lesson from you and getting great tips from you on fly fishing and reading your posts, your clearly the perfect person for the job.  All the best in your new endeavor, I'll be seeing you in your new digs real soon. 

Richw

ssd0904

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

Maybe special deals or coupons for FWR members?  ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »

wholesale sports is canadian, bass pro is american. they are 2 seperate companies.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Schenley

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »

From what I hear the prices at Wholesale Sports in Canada are pretty comparible to other tackle stores, the only advantage they may have is selection

That has been my experience in Nanaimo. Great selection ( but Cabelas in Lacey beats them) but too few sales reps-- but I have to admit the ones I dealt with were knowledgeable. I found that the store opening specials were dissapointing...just the same as specials from other stores in my area such as harbour Chandler, Gone Fishin and Tyee Marine.

But competion is good for the consumer.......

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »

Because I live and work in Langley this can only be a good thing for me.I look forward to finding quality and price locally.
Riverman