Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coming soon to Langley  (Read 44605 times)

troutbum

Re: coming soon to Langley
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:10 PM »

i like to shop at stores were the staff hangs out, coffee in hand, and talk fishing. this type of behaviour is discouraged at wholesale sports. not my kind of store.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »

as far as fishing goes, army and navy has a really good selection. they may not have the higher end stuff that specialized fishing shops  have but they are one of the best places to shop because of the good prices and selection...though most staff dont seem to be too knowledgable as compared to an actual fishing shop....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:58 AM »

I like to give the smaller store the business as long as they are competitive. I believe this new store will promote a competitive environment and the little store with the personal touch and superior knowledge about a product will continue to succeed. However if , as in the case of Wal-Mart and some local stores, the price difference is too great then I'll shop at Wal-Mart.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »

I like to give the smaller store the business as long as they are competitive. I believe this new store will promote a competitive environment and the little store with the personal touch and superior knowledge about a product will continue to succeed. However if , as in the case of Wal-Mart and some local stores, the price difference is too great then I'll shop at Wal-Mart.

--for some products the local store will get a good enough wholesale price to compete however larger stores often get much bigger discount thus make more money than the local non chain store.  I used to  be a partner in a retail store and in some cases the retail price at canadian tire was cheaper than our wholesale costs.  Not an excuse the local store has to be aware of these differences and adjust. We would try to compensate by not charging for spooling reels etc.

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

does anyone know when it is set to open?

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

The guys at my "home store" are smart enough to realize that I could shop elsewhere for better prices and they definately make up for it.  When they can give me a deal, they do. I've been given $50 off of $200 wading boots before. Also, I can honestly say I've never paid for line being put on a reel or a leader and tippet on any lines i've bought.
Combine that with info that these guys impart, I'd say it's the big stores that cant compete.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »

I was talking with a local fishing store owner and he is already cutting down his inventory in anticipation of the new competition from Wholesale.

Good or bad it will effect the little guys!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

spoonfed

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »

I would support the local guy too but the only place in Surrey/Langley is Steveston Marine and they are horrible for selection, service and price $12 bucks for a flat of anchovies when its less than $8 at Berry's

Bring it on Wholesale Sports!

The guy about the .22 ammo. Unfortunately ammunition and all it's components (i.e. bullets, powder etc) are impossible to get in North America right now. Some of the local gunshops are in the same bind of not having any and not knowing when and what is coming.

Has anyone heard the rumour of Cabelas coming?

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

Well here is my 2 cents and I maybe totally wrong on this. There’s a new Wal-Mart being open in Chilliwack in sometime, that leaves the former spot open, it’s about the right size and the right type of property army and navy looks for in new stores. It would only make sense to have an army and navy in Chilliwack thus local shops (Freds, dart and tackle, reaction) are going to have some major competition if they do come in. Army and Navy may not have the lowest price on fishing equipment but because they are a larger retail outlet they can be competitive through loss leaders and various marketing campaigns someone like Freds can’t afford.  If I owned in shop in Chilliwack I would be very scared right now because that is the ideal place for an army and navy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:55:02 PM by golferturnedfisher »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »

So here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I have always shopped at my local tackle shop and always will no matter what. The main reason is the atmosphere in the shop and the relationships that are built between staff and customers that you just can not find anywhere else. The big box stores are just about meeting numbers where as the local shop is all about customer service and yes this means putting the customer first. The big problem I have with a store like Whole sale sports is the fact that it put the small shop at a disadvantage when it comes to priceing. By this I mean Whole sale sports are their own whole saler so their mark up on a product means pure profit where  your local shop their pricing is set by the manufactures suggested price that is set by the whole saler they  buy their product from. So unless the local shop's whole saler brings the price down the local shop just can not compete price wise. One other thing to think about is the fact the almost everyone of your local shops is owned by a member of your community that is trying to make an honest living by bring you the best service, product and info about what is working and where. This shop owner keeps their money local which in turn keeps OUR economy growing. I for one will continue to keep my business with the local shop no matter what even if it means spending a little more as anyone knows that has spent anytime in a local shop they deserve our business and not the big box stores of america.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 07:45:46 AM »

I think that the area that the small businesses will be hurt is on the larger ticket items. If I plan on buying a gun or a fishing reel I want the most for the least money so I will shop around just like I shop around when buying a vehicle, furniture or building materials. I won't buy groceries at the local convenience store because I know the big box stores have better prices. On the other hand I'm not going to spend $25 bucks on gas to drive to Langley for a package of fishing hooks.

I feel bad for the local tackle shop however I am not responsible for the survival of any local business. On the other hand keeping my money in my bank account is my responsibility.  :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:52:58 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »

. I for one will continue to keep my business with the local shop no matter what even if it means spending a little more as anyone knows that has spent anytime in a local shop they deserve our business and not the big box stores of america.

I just love people like this lol they dont get the big picture, who is the number employer in Canada welll lets just say its the the big bad box store of america lol, Its kind of funny. Im not against local shops by any means they have always been good to me but you have to understand over time big box stores are going to start to adapt to local markets (already happening across america), example look at bass pro shop there  fishing sections even in las vegas would rival freds for salmon and steelhead gear but still focus on the local fisheries. Personally I'm a business person if local shop cant get there **** together they should be out of business but so far no big box has taken a run at them ex for Army and Navy. Like i said early wholesale sports is small peanuts really, i  would be afraid for a bass pro shop (already in calgary) and there goal is expansion into canada( as they have already bought a wholesale company). So support or local shops for now cause its going to change over time.  edit- sorry cableas but the wholesale and bass pro shop.com does ship to canada.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:02:40 PM by golferturnedfisher »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »

Has anyone heard the rumour of Cabelas coming?

They bought out S.I.R. mail order and Warehouse Sports Store in Winnipeg not too long ago.  They even have a Canadian website now but the selection is not as great. 

http://www.cabelas.ca/about_us/our_story_/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:17:46 AM by Eagleye »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »

I don't mind the store. It caters to a different market plus it gives more options.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

Hey everyone;

Some of you know this already, but for those that don't, I am the new Head of the fishing department of Wholesale Sports in Langley.

The store is looking good, we are in the middle of stocking the shelves and are shooting for a May 16th opening, but if things keep going the way they are, we may be open as soon as May 10th.

The store is looking GREAT, we have a HUGE fishing department as well as a HUGE Hunting depatrtment. I have spent the past 2 days just putting Rods out on the floor, and looks like it may take a few more. We will have 1500 fishing rods on the floor, from $20 spinning rods, all the way up to $900 fly rods. The store is a total of 35,000sqft and has a HUGE selection.

As for those of you worried about the small shops like Galilee, I think that a place like Army and Navy has more to lose than the small shops. The small shops are specialized, Army and Navy is direct compitition to Wholesale Sports, With Camping, Hiking, Hunting, Fishing, etc....

I am VERY excited to be the Head of the Fishing department, It is going to be a GREAT store, and the customer service will be AWSOME as we have hired a GREAT group of people.

I will keep you all informed of actual opening date.

One last thing,

Wholesale Sports is looking for 2 more people;

Hunting Department Head, Must be a hunter, have PAL, and have retail experience
Fishing Department (Full time) We are in need of one more full time person that knows about retail, and has fishing experience. Ocean, Fly, Gear, etc......

To apply, send your resume to wholesalesports.langley@hotmail.com, or stop by the Store Monday/Tuesday and speak to Jason (Store Manager) or Rick (Assistant Store Manager)

Rick Passek
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif