Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The salmon farm thread  (Read 14915 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
The salmon farm thread
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »

Hello

This week the Fraser River sockeye run was critically downgraded.  This was no surprise to me as I looked at this generation of Fraser sockeye and they were infected with sea lice near the fish farms from Campbell River to eastern Johnstone Strait.  While they are bigger than pink and chum salmon when they enter the sea, they are damaged by the lice, you can see an image on the website www.adopt-a-fry.org  The pattern keeps repeating. If they caught farm lice when they were young, they never come home. As soon as the farm salmon are removed, they do come home.

Actor William Shatner is lending his star power to our efforts and wrote to Prime Minister Stephen Harper.  His letter is on our website.

One of the signatories on our letter to the Minister of Fisheries generously donated his services to produce a full page information ad on salmon farms.  You can see Gary Dunham, of Mercury Graphics in Langley BC's work on the "Action" page at www.adopt-a-fry.org Thank you Gary for your patience and talent.

Many people have heard about the salmon farming controversy, but they don’t know the specifics. I have included some of the many issues that are causing the problems with this industry. I would really like to hear from you about which local newspapers this should appear in. If you could send me a link to the paper that would be really great.  Any financial assistance in running this ad in your community would also be welcome.

The downgrade of the Fraser sockeye is a warning we can choose to ignore or react to. Alaska is seeing huge sockeye returns and they do not allow Atlantic salmon to be penned on their salmon migration routes.  We can make many guesses as to what happened to our sockeye, but it does not make sense to ignore the one that has been researched and published and seen worldwide.  Commercial, sport and tourism operators are taking losses to protect our wild salmon and yet the fish farms just keep getting bigger and more numerous. 

There is something very wrong here and if we want our wild salmon we need to speak now or forever lose our fish.

Standing by,

Alexandra Morton

dnibbles

Re: The salmon farm thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/sc%20stad/HeydonCreek/HeydonCreekSockeye2009-3.pdf

Heydon Creek sockeye enter Johnstone Strait directly. They are seeing a strong return this year. If sea lice were the problem, wouldn't this run be crashing too?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/sc%20stad/HeydonCreek/HeydonCreekSockeye2009-3.pdf

Heydon Creek sockeye enter Johnstone Strait directly. They are seeing a strong return this year. If sea lice were the problem, wouldn't this run be crashing too?

I think the sealice are a problem when the fry need to pass by a fish farm on their way out to the ocean....   Do the Heydon Creek sockeye pass by a fish farm?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »

From this map: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/Finfish/cabinet/marine_fishfarms.pdf

There is 1 fish farm (1136 - Shaw Point) that is in the path from the spawning grounds to the open ocean.
(The purple triangles are applications)

Hate to be a fish spawned in Frederick Arm - 11 fish farms to go past to get into the Strait.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »

Thanks for bringing this issue up again. Maybe some of the blinded forum readers will finally see the light and point their frustration in the right direction and not at fellow anglers.

Check this link out; it's very eye opening:

http://www.adopt-a-fry.org/?page_id=202

Any anglers that purchase and eat farmed BC salmon need to give their heads a shake.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »

Thanks for bringing this issue up again. Maybe some of the blinded forum readers will finally see the light and point their frustration in the right direction and not at fellow anglers.

Check this link out; it's very eye opening:

http://www.adopt-a-fry.org/?page_id=202

Any anglers that purchase and eat farmed BC salmon need to give their heads a shake.

I agree with you on the fish farm issue; but insulting forum members you don't agree with as "blind" is a cheap and unnecessary. If your arguments are good enough you do not need to make personal slags.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »

From this map: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/Finfish/cabinet/marine_fishfarms.pdf

There is 1 fish farm (1136 - Shaw Point) that is in the path from the spawning grounds to the open ocean.
(The purple triangles are applications)

Perhaps that farm is using "SLICE" a form of injested pesticide that kills sea lice. See http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/page/sealicechemical

SLICE
One of the most significant and well-studied impacts of salmon farming on wild salmon is the transfer of sea lice from fish farms to juvenile wild salmon during out-migration. Attempts to control sea lice outbreaks on salmon farms by industry and government have been through emamectin benzoate, sold under the commercial name SLICE.

Emamectin benzoate, the active ingredient in SLICE, is a pesticide that is administered to farmed fish through their feed. In BC, there is a withdrawal period of 68 days between when SLICE can be administered and fish can be harvested for human consumption.2

To date, SLICE has:

* not been tested for food safety by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
    * not been licensed by Health Canada; or
    * not been permitted for use through the Pesticide Control Act

Yet, SLICE is still the preferred chemical for sea lice control in Canada. In BC, salmon farmers are approved to use SLICE through the Emergency Drug Release Program which allows the use of non-approved drugs when recommended by veterinarians for emergency situations.

SLICE is not used for the occasional emergency. Outbreaks of sea lice are so prevalent in industrial net-pens that the use of SLICE has become standard operating procedure. In 2003, 37 million farmed salmon in Canada were treated with SLICE. A steady dependence on SLICE by the BC salmon farming industry has been recorded by the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands.3

Emamectin benzoate belongs to a class of chemicals called avermectins, which are axonic poisons affecting nerve cells.4 Farmed fish ingest SLICE as a coating on commercial food pellets. Digestion releases the drug to pass through the lining of the fish’s gut and into the fish’s tissues, from where it takes about a week to be eliminated.5 Although SLICE contains emamectin benzoate (0.2%), an active ingredient in pesticides, it is classified as a drug because it is fed to the fish rather than applied externally.

Overuse or over-reliance on any single compound has been shown to lead to the development of resistance by the target organism. Evidence of resistance to SLICE has recently been reported in Chile.

SLICE lacks specificity; it puts marine organisms in the vicinity of treated salmon farms at risk. A report commissioned by the World Wildlife Fund’s Salmon Aquaculture Dialogue (SAD) found that sea lice therapeutants (such as SLICE) negatively impact the environment through its effects on non-target wild crustaceans such as shrimp, crabs and prawns, and may remain in the environment from ten days to six months.

Makes me want to go out and buy some farmed salmon for dinner tonight....  not!  ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:49:56 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »

The fish farms on Okisollo channel between Quadra and Sonora island have been identified as a significant problem for Fraser Sockeye smolts.  The Heydon Creek Sockeye don't go past these farms.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

I agree with you on the fish farm issue; but insulting forum members you don't agree with as "blind" is a cheap and unnecessary. If your arguments are good enough you do not need to make personal slags.

Sorry, you misunderstood my post.
I didn't call people 'blind', I called them 'blinded'.
Just like I was when I believed sockeye bite in the Fraser.
Big difference there.

There are no personal slags in my post, as no names are mentioned.
And as far as impersonal slags go, we all do it all the time.

Morty

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

While this seasonal issue is in the news and a hot topic, it's an ideal time to be contacting our MLA's and MP's.

This won't get resolved by leaving Alexandra and David Suzuki to look after the Salmon - we've all got to raise our voices AND take some action - in a positive and constructive way.  "We" need to stop complaining and being part of the problem.  We need to each be part of a solution.

Shutting down recreational fishing is not really an effective part of a solution and although volunteering not to fish is a generous gesture, the few thousand fish that rec. fishers take hardly makes a difference.  We HAVE TO do bigger things. 

I haven't seen anyone write that they would take the 8 hours they would spend on a one day fishing trip and use it to:
 * go door-to-door and tell people about the problem, or
 * get a petition signed, or
 * pass out form letters at the Mall, or
 * get their local businessmen who are affected by wild salmon survival to contribute to a salmon protection cause, or

on a side note, IMO - if the First Nations wanted to do something to help their cause, they would do what they could to get the Rec fishers on their side.  F.N can catch more in one good day that us Rec fishers harvest all year.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »

It is really hard to convince the public and thus the politicians given the huge lack of awareness of this subject.    As an example of the degree of ignorance , I took a working associate who had expressed an interest in fishing out to a local river when the salmon were there in numbers to let him try it.  One of his questions just about knocked me over.    He wondered whether the spawning salmon were migrating up the river or down.   As one who grew up here and absorbed this knowledge with my mother milk, I could hardly comprehend this ignorance.  But this was an otherwise competent member of our society and a voter.

When you address these issues in a public forum, don't make any assumptions about prior knowledge.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 10:15:13 PM »

Full page color ad in today's Chilliwack Times, well layed out.  ;D Did anyone else see it in any other papers?

Morty

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »

New message from Alexandra Morton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello All

Every time I send an email out to this list you ask what can you do.  I am sorry for so many emails, but time is of the essence.  As our wild salmon stocks suffer an enormous setback, the Minster of Fisheries is in Norway with a large delegation promoting Canada to the Norwegian fish farming industry. An organization called Pure Salmon (www.puresalmon.org) is there and will be delivering all 300 pages of our letter to Fisheries Minister Shea at the Aqua Nor tradeshow. Pure salmon has sent a letter to the King of Norway which I signed and have have pasted below.

Vancouver filmmaker Damien Gillis is showing this film in Norway asking them to stop killing our salmon.

http://www.puresalmon.org/video2.html

When I was in Norway last spring it was clear that Norway has no idea how Canadians and Americans feel about their industry.  With our top Fisheries representative telling Norwegian fish farmers that Canada is open for business, this is not surprising.  There are 10,000 emails on this list. If you want to set the record straight yourself - here are the people in Norway to contact:

The royal palace of Norway: post@slottet.no

The Norwegian Fisheries Minister, Helga Pedersen: helga.pedersen@fkd.dep.no

The Norwegian Prime Minister's: postmottak@smk.dep.no

Pure Salmon: lkaran@pewtrusts.org

Canadian Minister of Fisheries: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

http://www.puresalmon.org/video2.html
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

jon5hill

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »

This is a very important video and I hope everyone watches it. Alexandra Morton and colleagues are on the verge of making a large political stride in the fight to move/eliminate/change the Norwegian aquaculture farms in BC coastal waters. Please pass this link on to anyone you know. If our voice is unified and strong, we can make this very necessary change happen.

www.adopt-a-fry.org
http://www.puresalmon.org/

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »

Got this link from another site.  I am asking everyone I know to give me their contact info so I can mail out letters on their behalf. Don't be apathetic to the cause and help out! All the hard work is done you just have to put your information in.

Thanks to Grant for doing the hard part.

http://www.grantbrown.ca/salmonfarms/

always a student