Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The salmon farm thread  (Read 14791 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: The salmon farm thread
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Talked to Rafe yesterday at the rally.   He recounted a conversation with an expert on fish farm consequences in Galway, Ireland in which the Irish researcher asked in frustration whether people in our part of the world could read.  The negative information is there, we just have to pay attention.

Yes, fish farms have a place and they are not going to go away but to have our Federal Government selling our coast in Norway given the present level of concern is unbelievable.

bluesteele

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »

MYKISSCRAZY I think your out to lunch  ::)

Comparing the Fraser run and Skeena is comparing apples to Oranges.

Yes you are right that the skeena salmon dont migrate past fish farms the way
Fraser sockeye do. Why compare them?

Lets compare apples to apples. If the skeena fish had similar migration routes (fish farms)as
the Fraser sockeye then were on the same page. BUT THEY DONT !

If I am not mistaken the Skeena numbers are not that far off of the previous runs.
The Fraser is WAY off.

Are you employed by the fish farm industry?

How about closed containment farming. GO FOR IT.

Can you honestly say open net fish farming is good?

MYKISSCRAZY eh...

Bluesteele

mykisscrazy

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:52 PM »

Why not compare them?
Like I said, Skeena sockeye are also in trouble. They too had good numbers of smolts heading out to sea. Why haven't they come back? They did not swim past any fish farms in their area.
No I am not employed by the Aquaculture Industry.

What I am saying is that one cannot put all the (if any ) blame on this industry.
Look up and down the entire Pacific Coast.
The coho southern range is slowly being pushed northward, same with Chinook, Steelhead, and our beloved sockeye. There is no sea pen aquaculture in the California, Oregon, and Washington, so what the heck is going on?

It's convenient to blame this industry

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39:05 AM »

Why not compare them?
Like I said, Skeena sockeye are also in trouble. They too had good numbers of smolts heading out to sea. Why haven't they come back? They did not swim past any fish farms in their area.
No I am not employed by the Aquaculture Industry.

What I am saying is that one cannot put all the (if any ) blame on this industry.
Look up and down the entire Pacific Coast.
The coho southern range is slowly being pushed northward, same with Chinook, Steelhead, and our beloved sockeye. There is no sea pen aquaculture in the California, Oregon, and Washington, so what the heck is going on?

It's convenient to blame this industry

Your comments are a convenient way to absolve the industry of any blame. That's why you are getting the arguments....   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »

I am new to this discussion, but I find it hard to believe, after watching the video on juvenile sockeyes full of sea lices around the fish farms, that our government is not convinced that the lices are killing off sockeye runs. What kind of reasoning is that?

jon5hill

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »

It is reasoning influenced by money.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

Sea lice probably don't kill salmon smolts directly and that point will probably be made by farming proponents.   I have read statements that salmon smolts resist lice well and that may be true.  Put lice loaded smolts in a tank and they probably survive.   But a salmon smolt loaded with lice might be just a teeny bit slow and there are a million dogfish etc. etc waiting to eat him.  So lice don't kill smolts but they result in the smolt being dead.  It is a question of semantics.

jon5hill

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »

I've seen photos of freshly dead salmon smolts covered in lice. A smolt 1 inch long can be killed by 4+ sea lice.

jon5hill

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »

There is a lethal limit scientifically derived and is a function of the weight in grams of the fish. Let me find the function..