Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The salmon farm thread  (Read 14906 times)

jon5hill

Re: The salmon farm thread
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »

I'll be using the addresses in the top of these emails and writing my own letters. I hope more people get on board. I wish it was legal to post academic literature, I have access to electronic copies of journals and have read tons of literature from Scotland, Norway, Ireland, and Canada about the adverse effects of open pen fish farms and the evidence is strong and conclusive. Fish farms are killing juvenile salmon fry and smolts on their outward migration to the sea.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 12:55:42 PM »

One small question, is there any way possible for me to contribute to this if I am only 12 years of age and I don't pay taxes and stuff like that yet?
I would really like to help the cause so just let me know.

Thanks Nicolas.

tnt

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »

fill it out ... your still a concerned angler... regardless of age....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »

Templates downloaded and 4 letters to posted from me shortly.....
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:09 PM »

I am sending one to the PM, one to my MP, one to our 'Beloved' premier... (sorry - had to pick myself off the floor from laughing so hard) and one to my MLA.... :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

jon5hill

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »

http://www.callingfromthecoast.com/

If this isn't persuasive, and scientific literature isn't persuasive, then what is?

mykisscrazy

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »

Please explain to me why the Skeena Sockeye have also crashed this year as well...No Fish Farms there!
As well, Harrison River Sockeye numbers are up...

tsawytscha

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »

http://www.callingfromthecoast.com/

If this isn't persuasive, and scientific literature isn't persuasive, then what is?

If you have a minute go to www.fisheries.no  (Norway Government fishery website ) and can anybody explain to me how Norway Government can have the proper plan to save salmon available with everybody invloved without personal, political and other "agendas" and why we cannot have it here in Canada ?????? Norway recognizes the threat of sea lice to wild salmon, they already experienced almost collpase of their wild fish stocks due to unregulated and unmonitored fish farming.

Here are articles  from Norway website:

Salmon lice

There are considerable disease interactions between wild and farmed stock, especially among salmonid fish.Certain diseases can threaten the existence of wild fish stock. One such disease is infection with Lepeophtheirus -sea lice, which
represents a threat to migrating salmon and smolt in salt water estuaries and fjord (inlet) systems.

Salmon lice pose a threat to both farmed salmon and wild salmon stocks. There is a documented link between the incidence of lice in farmed salmon and in lice found on wild salmon. The most important means of reducing the problem of lice in wild stocks is therefore to prevent, monitor and combat salmon lice in fish farms, as stipulated in the National action plan to combat salmon lice.

Counts of salmon lice in Sognefjord from 2000 until 2004 show a clear decline in the incidence of salmon lice. This clear decline proves that the work of reducing levels of salmon lice in general in fish farms has a positive effect on the incidence of salmon lice larvae in the fjord system. Annual salmon lice counts were introduced in the Hardangerfjord in 2004. “The Hardangerfjord project”, which is a cooperative effort between the Norwegian Institute of Marine Research, the Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management (INA) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, the National Veterinary Institute, the Norwegian Institute of Fisheries and Aquaculture Research and the Hardanger fish health network have for two years in succession shown that there are low levels of lice on wild fish and low levels of lice on exposed test fish in netpens.

Furthermore, the monitoring of salmon lice among wild fish will also be part of an evaluation and monitoring programme in connection with the creation of national salmon watercourses and fjords. The Norwegian Food Safety Authority will be responsible for implementing this monitoring programme.

Norway has in place a programme with cooperation with the environmental authorities to combat sea lice.  Norway has the National Action Plan to combat sea lice in fish farms and wild salmon, managed by The Directorate of Fisheries.

AGAIN -  WHY WE CANNOT HAVE IT HERE IN CANADA ??????   :o

Also, scientists from numerous univerisites (Hawaii, Alberta, Victoria...) have proven that if infected by sea lice, 95% of slamon smolts will die and if infected by sea lice, 99% of salmon run will disapear within two generation.

All this our Govenrment politic and "agenda" makes me sick to my stomach..

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »

mykisscrazy

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »

So, why exactly do you think Fish Farms are bad? Sea Lice....what else?
If you think getting rid of fish farms will somehow miraculously make all the Fraser River Sockeye come back you are unfortunately mistaken.
Whether you like it or not they are here to stay.

If you get rid of them say good bye to a lot of the coastal communities of Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.

The disappearing salmon stocks is happening up and down the Pacific Coast....California, Oregon, Washington, and unfortunately throughout BC
One cannot blame Fish Farms for everything! It's just very convenient.

So if you succeed and "drive them out of town" and still the fish don't come back, what's next on the list? BC Ferries, Cruise Ships?, Whale watching tours? 

mykisscrazy

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »

Why is it disgusting?

tsawytscha

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »

If you think getting rid of fish farms will somehow miraculously make all the Fraser River Sockeye come back you are unfortunately mistaken.

If you get rid of them say good bye to a lot of the coastal communities of Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast.

The disappearing salmon stocks is happening up and down the Pacific Coast....California, Oregon, Washington, and unfortunately throughout BC

So if you succeed and "drive them out of town" and still the fish don't come back, what's next on the list? BC Ferries, Cruise Ships?, Whale watching tours? 

Well, yes, the problem IS heavily concentrated sea lice population in and around fish farms HER in BC AND pesticides used to treat farmed salmon in order for them to survive. These pesticides are not allowed by Canada Health and can stay in the salmon meat up to 1 year.
It is proven taht these pestcicdes are unhelathy to human being and other aqauculture.

You are somewaht missing the main point about fish farms:  the problem is not to have them here, but TO HAVE  them properly controlled, have an action plan (developed by the Government with close cooperation with scientists) to combat sea lice overpopulation (regardles if it is a wild or farmed salmon) and maybe to use a different  technology of a fish farm  to raise farm slamon and not to build the fish farms on the wild salmon main route.

If you would have a minute and visit the Norway website www.fisheries.no then you will EXACTLY know what is the problem with uncontrolled fish farming.  Norway paid a "hughe price" already by almost wipping out all their salmon and other sfish tock  before recognizing the fatal damage of unconttolled and unregulated fish farming. If a salmonid smolt is infested, 95% will not survive.  Here in BC we have no any developed action plan to  ::)combat sea lice (all 13 species) and actually the Government is turning "blind eyes"  and "deaf ears" to this extremely serious problem.

If we will not combat  sea lice and fish farming here will have a "free ride", you can be absolutely sure that all salmon runs and other fish stock will soon be depleted (it takes two fish generations only to wipe out a run) and the ecological catastrofe will happen.

Are you still  supporting to have and to allow  the uncontrolled fish farming here in BC waters ??? :o

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

I dont think anyone is saying run them out of town. Get the pens out of the water! mykisscrazy are you telling me its helping???
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »

mykisscrazy are you telling me its helping???

No he's not saying that. He's saying:

jon5hill

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

Fish farming is good because humans consume farmed Salmon rather than wild stocks of fish. It's a predictable and renewable commodity. This sharply contrasts the classical model for seafood production and distribution which sought wild stocks and were largely dependent on seasonal variation and "finding the fish". This is what caused the Atlantic Cod fishery to collapse. However, open net-cage farms producing fish such as salmon have significant ecological implications. They cause devastating damage to the marine environment through the use of pesticides, detergents, and other harmful chemicals. Thousands of open-caged Atlantic Salmon in close contact with one another is an abundance of food (hosts) for Salmonid parasites such as sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis). This increases the carrying capacity of the aquatic habitat these parasites live in and in response they multiply by the millions. The parasites in their mobile stage can freely diffuse or swim out into the open ocean through the pens and do so rapidly. Due to the positioning of most Salmon farms, they are near estuarine coastal water which is directly in the path of small salmon fry and smolts on their outward migration to sea. Specifically pink, chum, and sockeye salmon are most vulnerable as they are the smallest in size when they reach the ocean. These "clouds" of parasites have been documented to wipe out wild salmon runs (Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Chile, Broughton Archipelago, BC). Getting rid of them altogether is not a feasible option because Salmon farming is a vital component of coastal economies. What we demand is closed system aquaculture. Simply put, it is a much better way to farm fish. It ensures no contact between wild and farmed fish, eliminating nearly all of the negative impacts. The problem is that these Norwegian aquaculture companies are not forced by law to spend millions of dollars to transform open-net fish farms into closed containment farms. If there is no political pressure they will pillage our coast until the wild salmon are gone and people become more dependent on farmed salmon.

I hope that cleared things up for you,

jon