Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano concern  (Read 3742 times)

jon5hill

Capilano concern
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »

I was at cable pool yesterday for a while and watched a couple of guys (one in his 40's the other in his 60's) fly fishing from the mid ledge.  I was standing in the water downstream by the outflow of the pool fly fishing as well. After a few minutes the older man hooked a small resident smolt (no larger than 6 inches in length). I was watching and waiting for them to release the fish but to my complete amazement the man simply wrapped the fish in a net, and set the net down. This isn't the first time I have seen this happen there. Infuriated, I shouted to the man that he could feed a family with that fish, to which he smiled and gestured with his hands the length of a 20 inch fish. He hadn't killed the fish either. So there I was, watching a resident smolt suffocate to death at the hands of a pair of unethical clowns. I have fished stocked lakes like Sasamat, Buntzen, and Lafarge, and observed small fish being bonked and have felt uncomfortable about it but I would never imagine that a fragile river like the Capilano would be exploited so badly. I was so angry.. What would you do in this situation?

Jaws

Re: Capilano concern
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »

I've seen that happen too.  Is there anything in the DFO regulations that prohibits this?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »

Phone the ORR line.  I have seen the same thing happen at the Cap once before and they dispatched an RCMP officer but unfortunately he showed up too late.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »

I've seen that happen too.  Is there anything in the DFO regulations that prohibits this?

Yes

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »

I was at cable pool yesterday for a while and watched a couple of guys (one in his 40's the other in his 60's) fly fishing from the mid ledge.  I was standing in the water downstream by the outflow of the pool fly fishing as well. After a few minutes the older man hooked a small resident smolt (no larger than 6 inches in length). I was watching and waiting for them to release the fish but to my complete amazement the man simply wrapped the fish in a net, and set the net down. This isn't the first time I have seen this happen there. Infuriated, I shouted to the man that he could feed a family with that fish, to which he smiled and gestured with his hands the length of a 20 inch fish. He hadn't killed the fish either. So there I was, watching a resident smolt suffocate to death at the hands of a pair of unethical clowns. I have fished stocked lakes like Sasamat, Buntzen, and Lafarge, and observed small fish being bonked and have felt uncomfortable about it but I would never imagine that a fragile river like the Capilano would be exploited so badly. I was so angry.. What would you do in this situation?
Any time you see a violation of any regulation, you should voice your concern(as you did) and if you do not get an acceptable responce phone the Conservation Officer Hot Line @ 1-877-952-7277 and talk to the dispatcher. I too fish those same lakes with the inclusion of Rice Lake which is by far the worst lake for poaching that I have witnessed. Consequently I have phoned that number more than once!

Capilano Mano

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:01:55 PM »

My question is why are a bunch of guys fishing the Cap Cable pool right now? Waste of time.....there is a bunch of stale fish in there. They should do some real fishing... all the guys who are there could be spending their time fishing othere areas for nice chrome fish, whether it is at the mouth or pinks elsewhere. But yeah, harassing smolts is cool too >:(

winter steel

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »

It really isn't a waste of time, one just has to note when and how to catch them when the water conditions are not favourable to your traditional slinging guts or crocs. Yes, many of the fish have been in the sysytem for a considerable amount of time and are well educated, however did it not rain 15-25 mm not that long ago? Although not enough to raise the water level by more than an inch or two, definitely enough to induce a few fresh fish to move in at night and did in fact offer up some pretty consistent fishing for a week or so after the rains. Those "stale" fish will also have moments of stupidity and take your offering, it really is all in the presentation, tight lines WS.