Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder September 24  (Read 7250 times)

MERC

• Old Timer
Vedder September 24
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:42:49 PM »

Thought I would give my report of the today’s fishing on a new thread rather than adding to an already lengthy one.  As BS said, we started the morning early. I was at Thickrick’s place at 4:00 a.m. at his insistence so that we could be early for fishing.  The plan was to pick up BS at 4:30.  At 3:55 a.m. I arrived at TR’s place to find him finishing loading up the Prosource mobile, and after adding my gear, we were off.  We arrived at BS’s door at 4:30 but he was late!  >:(   A few minutes later (after a brief wake up call)  we were on the road.  We arrived at our destination, disgustingly early by my account, watched shooting stars (real purty!) and generally BS’d (the talking kind, not the fisherman! ;D) until it was light out and then started fishing.  I stayed put as TR moved upstream, and BS moved down.  I had a nibble early on using roe but nothing else.  I worked a nice slick next to the shoreline but had no love. I noticed BS down about 50 yards from me with a fish on!  It was a chum that was released back into the water.  He signaled me to come down so I made my way down and started fishing next to him.  We were using roe and later switched to wool. I also used blades, and jigs.  Then the fishing turned on big time!  BS lands a jack spring.

I get one on but lose it.  TR gets one on.  Then it’s BS’s turn. Then mine. Pretty soon, the 9:30 deadline for the clean up is on us and with a reluctant look at some good fishable water, it’s off to the clean up.

We arrive at the registration booth at Thompson park, have a doughnut and coffee, chat for a few minutes and then we’re assigned to the trail section above Ranger.  Nice to finally meet you Chris Gadsen.  I’ve enjoyed your reports for a long time and have gotten to know 2:40 well enough to see your positive influence on his life.  We cleaned our section and went back down to Thompson Park.  Oh, and TR collected a few golf balls for Chris too.  Extra credit in the Karma bank!  From what we were told, the barbeque was supposed to start at 12:30 but appeared to be well under way.  Live music was provided (don’t know the band name but they were great!).  The whole shindig had a unique small town feel to the whole thing,  the music reminded me of the movie, “:Oh Brother, where art thou” and the food was tasty to this hungry fisherman!  But, the river was calling!  So, as we headed out, I passed my draw ticket to Rodney (if you won Rodney, I want half!) and back to our same location.  After all while we weren’t expecting gangbusters in the afternoon on a bright sunny day in low water conditions, like Lotto 649 says, “Hey, you never know!”  ;)

We arrived to find two other fishermen across from our spot.  They weren’t having any luck and I suspect that from their side of the river, they couldn’t quite seem to get the right drift.  They eventually wandered away.  But not before TR got into a fish right away, and BS was into a coho that he lost.  I guess we had enough credit in the Karma bank!   Then I hook and land a 20lb spring that was super bright and clean.  Probably the cleanest I’ve ever gotten. I decide that I’m going to keep this one as TR had said he would smoke this doe for me if I filleted and brined the fish.  Good deal, eh? 

My fish:

Multiple hook ups, tons of fish landed.  Highlights:  Rick’s wild coho that he landed and got away before a photo op, my wild coho that I landed and snapped a quick pic of

Obviously, BS figured you guys knew what I looked like so he focussed on the fish.

Rick’s hatchery coho he kept

I kind of like this picture as it shows TR in an unusually mature and contemplative moment.  ;D

and probably 4 or 5 coho hooked and lost.  By rough count, TR landed 15 or 16; BS about the same and my humble self, about 10 or 11.  Got some nice roe from my 20lb doe too!  A great day of fishing and an opportunity to use my Okuma Aventa CP and TFO 3106 on some big fish, and not just some small Cap cohos!

Some other pics:

TR's first spring, I think:

TR's Firechicken:

BS with a spring:

Another TR shot:

I ended up keeping my big spring and another jack srping ( I didn't bother taking a picture of it as I figured, my large one would severely overshadow the runt), TR kept his spring and coho.  BS didn't feel like keeping any springs.  Didn't expect this kind of fishing  in low water/bright sunny conditions nor the number of cohos that would take our presentation.  We were shortfloating roe, and wool (I laced mine with some scent).    So, to wax philosophical for a moment: life is what you make of it.  Do a few good deeds, help your friends and neighbours out and you do get rewarded for it in the end. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:49:29 PM by MERC »
President Club S. C. & P.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
Re: Vedder September 24
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:46:23 PM »

awesome fish! Well done guys!  :o

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »

awsome report even being over here on the island i love reading reports like that! thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 10:49:09 PM »

Some nice chromes there

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 11:12:55 PM »

Yeah it was just one of those days!! ;D ;D  Wouls like to have more of them, but it sure is a blast to get them when they finally do come.  Was nice being out fishing with you again Merc, and well as for you Ricky.......   I want Saturday off!!! ;D ;D
Tight lines guys, and good luck on the flow.  There seems to be some fish in that there river. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 06:39:17 AM »

Very nice fish guys - super shots - and great report

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »

Awsome pics, thanks for the report!
weeeeeeeeeow!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 07:42:47 AM »

Nice pics guys good job.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »

Wicked catch guys! Nice fish! :o

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 08:24:11 AM »

Nice fish guys, looking forward to getting into a few of those.
Let it rain let it rain
Hope to see you on the flow.
Rob

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 09:53:33 AM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :-\      I'm soooo Sick of being the fishless one!!! :'(

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 10:51:51 AM »

Good report. Looks you had a fellas had a great day out there.  ;D ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »

Thanks for the report and pics MERC. Sooooo envious of you guys right now!
Actions speak louder than words.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 11:44:19 AM »

Looks like you guys were the exception to the rule of few fish with low or no water. Way to go.

Were you below Lickman?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 11:59:48 AM »

Mid river.  I think we call it the "MR. D" run.   ;D
President Club S. C. & P.