Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297581 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »

i hear they are exported to europe and china.

aaron600

« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »

I fished the Fraser for a couple hours one week ago. No bites and didn't see any fish or any fish being had. Went over to the sunshine coast twice now and have limited out within 1 hour each time. Nice clean fish, I thought my males were females until I cut them open they were so chrome. Maybe in a couple years when they are back some people will head over to the coast if they have some extra time to kill . I only had 4 other people fishing next to me along the whole beach. I would pay a $63 ferry ride anyday of the week to beat the crowds on the Fraser.

corgi

« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »

I fished the Fraser for a couple hours one week ago. No bites and didn't see any fish or any fish being had. Went over to the sunshine coast twice now and have limited out within 1 hour each time. Nice clean fish, I thought my males were females until I cut them open they were so chrome. Maybe in a couple years when they are back some people will head over to the coast if they have some extra time to kill . I only had 4 other people fishing next to me along the whole beach. I would pay a $63 ferry ride anyday of the week to beat the crowds on the Fraser.

Where was this on Sunshine Coast?  Still decent to go out there this week?

RyanB

« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »

Spent the morning fishing in Richmond.  Saw a huge salmon pop out of the water around 7 am and some smaller ones until 8 am.  After that, only the occasional fish seen near the middle of the river.  I had two bites on a lure, nothing on a float setup.  The four guys near me didn't get a bite.

Is the temperature affecting the pinks?  It was very hot today (and the rest of the week).  On Friday, it seemed the fish were bouncing all over the place in the evening when it was overcast.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »

How big of piece of wool are you using liketofish?

I tried that first outing last weekend i went tidal fraser in richmond the same method you explain diding work for me? Maybe wool too big of small?

Small piece like the size of a quarter or nickel, size 2 or 1 hook. Timing is very important. Strong incoming tide with good flow to create action on the dancing wool when you retrieve. When there are lots of fish cruising by and they are not biting the lure or just bumping them, the wool can out fish lure this way. Come to think of it, isn't it just like fly fishing with a slow retrieve and if a fly guy is by your side and you are fishing a big lure, he will out fish you any day because each fish taking the fly will most likely have it in the mouth instead of bumping it
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:53:45 PM by liketofish »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

That will be nice is you want to shell out the ridiculously expensive ferry fees nowadays. The alternative is Furry Creek or any beaches/points along Howe Sound. Sometimes people park by the side of creeks along Hwy99 and follow the creeks down to the seashore and fish there. You can drive along Hwy99 on the way to Squamish and see all the cars parked by the side of creeks crossing the hwy. Talking about confusing male for female, I had the exact thing on pinks caught at Furry Creek, chrome, no hump, no protracted nose. Yo, female? Oh no, where is the roe?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:04:19 PM by liketofish »

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »

Is your wool method with or with out a float ? I am also having a hard time with the pinks this year .

katfish

« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »

The wool tip is very much appreciated.  Great alternative, especially if on a budget.

aaron600

« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »

I agree furry creek is an option other than Sunshine coast. 63$ there and back  is not bad in my opinion when you can beat the crowds. Some coho are being had at Davis bay but the Pinks are starting to go up Chapman creek and getting tight mouthed. I would say the best Pink fishing at Davis is behind us now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:16:54 PM by aaron600 »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

Not sure if the seiners are the reason or not, but I fished from sunup until 11am this morning without seeing more than 3 or 4 fish rise all morning.  5-7 guys fishing around me didn't even get a sniff either.

Had lots of luck over the past week, but literally NOTHING this morning.  Hopefully the seiners slow down by the weekend.

robbyvanz

« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

5 Rd completely dead.  Too hot.  No fish rising.  It might pick up after diner as the sun goes down.

andrew5

« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »

i tried no.5 road at high tide, and new west at low tide today, and not a sniff in either outings (45 minutes each). I did put together an all pink spin n glo on a 3 foot leader with some pencil lead across it and think that will kill it when i get more time. It looked so good in the water, especially retrieving it in against the current. I feel like you can do a super slow retrieve and stil have great action on it.

has anyone else tried this or have any experience spin casting with spin n glos? Also, it was a medium sized one (not sure what size exactly, but not mi biggest).

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #372 on: September 10, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »

i hear they are exported to europe and china.

thats what I heard too ! soon as there is enough for us here the rest is flash frozen and sent to china to be processed for the European market !

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »

This will make many on here "happy happy happy"

"Due to Interior Fraser River coho constraints, the Area B Seine Fraser Pink ITQ
demonstration fishery will close at 21:00 hours on Tuesday, September 10, 2013.
The Department will continue to evaluate the fishing impacts to date though
further seine fishing opportunities in Area 29 for Fraser pink salmon are not
anticipated."

anorden

« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

thats what I heard too ! soon as there is enough for us here the rest is flash frozen and sent to china to be processed for the European market !

Pinks on steveston fish dock were $3 a pound this weekend, no negotiation or discount. I've seen them cheaper than that in Superstore and IGA in the off season!!! Guess the commercials aren't exactly fighting to sell them (yet...)