Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 296442 times)

Dude

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »

it sounds like slim pickings until the commercial fishermen stop fishing, and when they finally stop, chances are the pink run will be over, or most have been netted by the seiners,  too bad for most of us who haven't caught at least one yet!   >:(

That is exactly How I am feeling right now  :(

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

If you haven't caught a pink yet, it's time to try a new spot.
Try moving up river a ways where the tides aren't such an influence.

robbyvanz

« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

They should shut the commerical fishery for a few days so the sport fishery can catch a few.  And they wonder why the salmon runs are so poor.  Love how they blame global warming for low fish stocks........

Humpy

« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »

Wondering if any of you folks can help me out, would someplace in delta or surrey(Brownsville bar)be better or should I just go to the fraser in Chilliwack or hope or the vedder?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

eman

« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »

there is no magical spot or honey hole right now, fish can be concentrated in an area but can be gone within minutes, they're always moving, just choose a place where you want to go, perhaps your fave spot, then fish it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »

Wondering if any of you folks can help me out, would someplace in delta or surrey(Brownsville bar)be better or should I just go to the fraser in Chilliwack or hope or the vedder?

The further east you go past the tidal portion the more luck you will most likely have. I know guys that were in the Chilliwack area on the Fraser this past weekend and they slayed them.

I would go up there but dont want to spend the gas money.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Humpy

« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »

Got it, thanks for the help guys. I will just stop by Chilliwack and see how it goes. Might even try the vedder for some springs.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Animal Chin

« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:25 PM »

did anyone fish the south dike rd. in Richmond today during incoming a.m. morning tide? Any schools of pinks passing by? Any pinks hooked and landed? Wish I was out there but stuck at the office until this weekend  >:( Just want to know what I'm missing ha-ha. ;D

You didn't miss a thing dude.

I think we saw 3 fish surface from 8 am to about noon... entirely possible to catch when there's no rising, but it adds a bit of hope. The evening from 6:15 pm till 7:30 had them rising close to shore all over the place but knew of only one guy who landed one. He has that spot and croc wired. Though I've noticed you have to try different lures/retrieval speeds, what works like gangbusters one day, doesn't another.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »

Of course, some champ might have slayed the fish earlier the day but noon was slow.

Who me ?? I was lucky enough to pick up two more just before quitting time tonight, obvious fish presence out there but more so right near high tide but only saw a few others caught while I was there.

I guess it was tough luck for the 20 year veteran that you are, maybe next time you'll get em. If not I could always try and get you a job on one of the seine boats if you need some more fish though. I know quite a few since I did it for 3 decades myself. BTW, if you need some steelhead pointers let me know, but fair warning,the lessons aren't cheap :P {jk}

No hard feelings chum{p}

Tenz85

« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2013, 01:28:15 AM »

First cast I hooked one. Tremendous fight and landed a beautiful shinny pink doe but it was a snag on the side. It was Quickly let it go and i casted out again. Had a strong bite and it shook the hook prob another snag. Got another two snags on the dorsal and hump within an hour. I was reeling in a 2" pink buzz bomb at a very slow to slow speed. I could literally see the dorsal fins sticking out of water while they slowly swam past because there were so many in that school.  Low light condition and the water was calm. Am I purely snagging them or do the fish have poor biting accuracy?

Noticed this thread which is helpful too - http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33238.0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:47:11 AM by Tenz85 »

Shawn6o4

« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2013, 04:25:31 AM »

First cast I hooked one. Tremendous fight and landed a beautiful shinny pink doe but it was a snag on the side. It was Quickly let it go and i casted out again. Had a strong bite and it shook the hook prob another snag. Got another two snags on the dorsal and hump within an hour. I was reeling in a 2" pink buzz bomb at a very slow to slow speed. I could literally see the dorsal fins sticking out of water while they slowly swam past because there were so many in that school.  Low light condition and the water was calm. Am I purely snagging them or do the fish have poor biting accuracy?

Noticed this thread which is helpful too - http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33238.0

Are you just tossing it out there then slowly retrieving? That could be why, buzz bombs require a bit of a different approach then just using a spoon. Also takes time to get the proper motion when first using one sometimes

Shawn-

oldkawi

« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »

I was out again at Dyke and No. 5 road last night from 5 to 7:30 pm.  Managed to land 2 and lose 1. There were four of us and that is all we got.  I was using the 1/4 oz bright pink croc.  I'll be honest it's starting to get frustrating! That was the 8th day of fishing for me and those were the first 2 that I got.  I personally have not seen the action or numbers that I thought I would see when they announced the expected return figures.  Also, I mirror what many of the you guys have said about the bites.  I have not been getting hard, definitive bites.  It's been more like a slight drag on the line during a slow retrieve. 
Oh well,  despite that it was a nice night to be on the river and I will keep trying!  Good luck.

BananasQ

« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »

I was out again at Dyke and No. 5 road last night from 5 to 7:30 pm.  Managed to land 2 and lose 1. There were four of us and that is all we got.  I was using the 1/4 oz bright pink croc.  I'll be honest it's starting to get frustrating! That was the 8th day of fishing for me and those were the first 2 that I got.  I personally have not seen the action or numbers that I thought I would see when they announced the expected return figures.  Also, I mirror what many of the you guys have said about the bites.  I have not been getting hard, definitive bites.  It's been more like a slight drag on the line during a slow retrieve. 
Oh well,  despite that it was a nice night to be on the river and I will keep trying!  Good luck.
Glad to hear you broke your run of bad luck - I wont be able to get out to the weekend, its torture hearing the reports from "the field"  :)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »

Fished the PortMan area last night from 4:30-7:30 and all I got was mosquito bites!! So far, it's been 2 fish for my 7 outings. It is definitely becoming an odd pink season. What happened to the 20 million pink salmon?? If it's b/c of the commercial fisheries, I am kind of curious to know how much fish can the process plants consume?? Should there not be an end to the commercial fisheries to allow enough fish to the spawning beds and also give some opportunities to the sporties??

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »

Mid-tidal area Fraser yesterday.  Put in a couple hours, just one to the boat.  Lots of hits and misses and a TON of fish showing.  Not biting readily...interesting.