Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 296438 times)

pbish

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »

It seems there is really some varying levels of success this year. My last 2 outings Saturday and Sunday morning went very well. Managed to land 4 females both days among many fish on the incoming tide in 2 hours. I have been throwing pink spin and glows and dick nites after lots of experimenting with spoons and spinners (smaller the better). These seem to be out performing guys throwing spoons.

Try lots of different presentations.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

Who me ?? I was lucky enough to pick up two more just before quitting time tonight, obvious fish presence out there but more so right near high tide but only saw a few others caught while I was there.

I guess it was tough luck for the 20 year veteran that you are, maybe next time you'll get em. If not I could always try and get you a job on one of the seine boats if you need some more fish though. I know quite a few since I did it for 3 decades myself. BTW, if you need some steelhead pointers let me know, but fair warning,the lessons aren't cheap :P {jk}

No hard feelings chum{p}

Ya, champ you are the guy with all the know-hows. Make sure you post your catches with pictures. As for my pink fishing, I don't need any help. I have been doing really well at Furry Creek. My fishing on the Fraser are mostly one hour or less per trip just for the fun of it at lunch break or after work. I am fully employed and don't have a day to spend until weekend, and my weekends until the last one were spent at the much more spacious and relax Furry Creek area and my catches are ocean fresh chrome with sea lices. You can keep your lesser Fraser ones to yourself. Thank you.

checked out briefly today at Surrey Dock before work. It was fully packed and no one playing fish. Headed out to Derby around 9 AM. Fishing there was slow. Perhaps the champ slayed them early morning because I talked to a couple fishing there since first light and they said a large school went by splashing and rolling all round for half an hour and they were into a few fish. I guess the seiners don't work that early.  ;D

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »

It seems there is really some varying levels of success this year. My last 2 outings Saturday and Sunday morning went very well. Managed to land 4 females both days among many fish on the incoming tide in 2 hours. I have been throwing pink spin and glows and dick nites after lots of experimenting with spoons and spinners (smaller the better). These seem to be out performing guys throwing spoons.

Try lots of different presentations.

Definitely the smaller the slower the better. I got my limits over the weekend by just using wool. Fishing just a small piece of wool with 4-5 ft leader and 1.5-2" pencil lead (the thicker kind) on a slow retrieve with the strong incoming tide can do wonder. Try it. The reason is that every time you use a larger lure and feel the many soft mouthing or bumping but no solid hook up, you miss the fish because it may not be mouthing or bumping the tail part of the lure where your trailing hook is. But every fish that mouth a small piece of wool on sticky sharp Gammi or Owner will be hooked. Try it if you have trouble hooking fish. A guy fishing at Surry area with this set up last night out fished the lure guys by the mile. I could have joined in and slayed as he did but couldn't even squeeze in. The place is just like a zoo. Not that I like the place, but it is on my way home via Patullo (to avoid the toll at Port Mann). The new Hwy 17 now connects north 176 St (Hwy 15) near my work place in east Surrey directly onto the fishing dock at 132 St. with hardly any traffic. What a perfect timing. Avoid the toll and fish pink for an hour or two on the way home. Got to love it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:14:54 PM by liketofish »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »

Ya, champ you are the guy with all the know-hows. Make sure you post your catches with pictures. As for my pink fishing, I don't need any help. I have been doing really well at Furry Creek. My fishing on the Fraser are mostly one hour or less per trip just for the fun of it at lunch break or after work. I am fully employed and don't have a day to spend until weekend, and my weekends until the last one were spent at the much more spacious and relax Furry Creek area and my catches are ocean fresh chrome with sea lices. You can keep your lesser Fraser ones to yourself. Thank you.

checked out briefly today at Surrey Dock before work. It was fully packed and no one playing fish. Headed out to Derby around 9 AM. Fishing there was slow. Perhaps the champ slayed them early morning because I talked to a couple fishing there since first light and they said a large school went by splashing and rolling all round for half an hour and they were into a few fish. I guess the seiners don't work that early.  ;D

Sorry but I don't take many pictures while fishing anymore, a few here and there but not many. If I make it out again in the next little while and get into some fish then I'll take some just for you since you asked nicely enough. :)

Seiners "usually work a 12 hour day from 6 am to 6 pm but that can definitely vary here and there but that is usually the norm.

I tend to find that these fish are either on the 'attack mode" or their not, people can put in a lot of time before it pays off but if you hit it right then it's a lot more enjoyable. If you go with the mindset that the fish are just a bonus then it's all good anyway. Sure beats work or chores at home that's for sure.

Enjoy the rest of your day, and btw, I don't know where exactly your fishing out there but where I am there's tons of room, and no BS to deal with at all.

Ambassador

« Reply #349 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »

I was out both days this weekend again at the end of #3 and had no bites at all. The Fraser loves to tease me with some rather large jumpers, but has yet to show me her love. I am going to mix it up a bit this week with some other lures to see if I cant change my luck on the Fraser. Anyone have any info on the North Fraser near the end of Byrne Road? I am going to hit it and find out, but would love to know if it is overly grassy or snaggy. Don't want to donate too many lures! Think I'll try wool and a pencil lead as Liketofish was mentioning to start off.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »

Try the chartreuse wool in later evening when light is dimmer and add pink or orange at day light. No need to use a big piece.

Ambassador

« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »

Try the chartreuse wool in later evening when light is dimmer and add pink or orange at day light. No need to use a big piece.
Thanks for the tip!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »

went to no3 rd this morning first time there. got 1 male on 1/2 oz croc. but it was very slow.

corgi

« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »

Sorry - newbie here. 

How do put the wool and hook together?

SteelHunter

« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »

How big of piece of wool are you using liketofish?

I tried that first outing last weekend i went tidal fraser in richmond the same method you explain diding work for me? Maybe wool too big of small?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

Sorry - newbie here. 

How do put the wool and hook together?

Google "bait loop" knot.

Use a piece anywhere from dime size to quarter size.

robbyvanz

« Reply #356 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »

Wool Bait loop: 

http://vimeo.com/12830813

corgi

« Reply #357 on: September 10, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

Wool Bait loop: 

http://vimeo.com/12830813

You guys rock.  Thanks for the replies.

Will 1/0 sized hooks be good?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »

seiners still fishing untill further notice,from todays meeting.still 26 million run.

Derek Mcl

derek mcl
« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »

I don't recall the commercial fishery being so keen on harvesting pink salmon, nor having to compete with it for fish in prior years.   The Creme de la Creme of Vancouver must have lowered their standards when they announced no sockeye fishery this year.