Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 296106 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Because we are approaching the 2013 Lower Fraser River pink salmon fishery, it is only appropriate to get this thread started. The goal of this thread is to provide background information of this fishery for those who are new and unfamiliar with it.

You are also encouraged to provide updates throughout the season, not necessarily the exact fishing spots where you are successfully catching them, but river condition, catch count, tide timing can all be very helpful to other anglers. Please do not ask others where they are fishing, you can do so by email or private messaging. If they wish to publicly disclose their fishing spot, they will voluntarily post it.

This discussion is not only limited to the tidal portion of the Fraser River, but the entire Lower Fraser River up to Hope where this fishery is available.

Background Information

If you have never tried the Fraser River pink salmon fishery and are unfamiliar with it, I have put together an article on how to catch them with spinning gear. You can read it at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/estuary_fishing/fishing_for_tidal_fraser_pink_salmon.html

There is also a video feature from two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAIqI5rFZv8

As well as an instructional video for subscribers on our website:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/tour/2011-03.html

Season, Timing and Locations

You can catch pink salmon in the Fraser River during odd years in as early as mid August, but the fishery typically starts in the last week of August. The first two weeks of September can be excellent. By the third week of September, it tapers off but you can still encounter the odd fish until the end of September.

The last three hours of incoming tide is usually best at most spots, but some locations can produce fish at any given tide. Sometimes fish will also enter the Fraser River when the tide is low. It is best to visit a spot several times at different tides to determine when it is most productive.

You can catch pink salmon at any spot along the Fraser River. They will enter both North and South Arms of the Tidal Fraser River in Richmond and Vancouver, converge into one arm in New Westminster. River/Dyke Roads along the shorelines of Richmond and Delta are popular spots. The south shoreline along Langley and Mission can be popular. Going further upstream, the popular gravel bars between Chilliwack and Hope will all produce.

Important Fish Identification Information

When the pink salmon fishery is taking place in the Lower Fraser River, several other salmon species will also be making their way through the river. Some of these species are closed for retention so you must release them with care by keeping them in the water at all time and using a catch and release net. Sockeye salmon, coho salmon and steelhead are required to be released unless stated otherwise. Wild trout and char are also required to be released. It is your responsibility to identify these fish correctly. If you are unsure what species you have at the end of your line, please let it go. Here are some photographs for reference.

Pink Salmon

Coho Salmon

Sockeye Salmon

Bull Trout

Regulations

Beside your tidal or non-tidal fishing licence (depending on where on the Fraser River you are fishing), you must purchase a salmon stamp/conservation surcharge if you wish to keep your pink salmon. Make sure you are using a single barbless hook. The following links are regulations which you should be familiar with. Please check them regularly as in-season regulation changes may occur.

Advise and help new anglers who may not be familiar with the regulations. If it is apparent that they are aware of the regulations but choose to ignore them, you can report the violations by phoning 604-607-4186 or 1-800-465-4336.

Good luck and have fun in the next six weeks!

Humpy

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »

Good Stuff, Thanks Rodney. :)
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »

Do you know anything about Deering Island?  TIA

MoeJKU

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

Good post, nice to see a big point on what will be open and what wont, and how to identify those fish.
Cheers,Moe

RiverRunner

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »

you broke your own guide lines  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"Some of these species are closed for retention so you must release them with care by keeping them in the water at all time and using a catch and release net"
Coho Salmon

t[/u]

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »

you broke your own guide lines  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The photograph was for ID purpose.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

Fly or gear? On the one hand, I fly fish. Period. On the other, this is a meat fishery (and damn fun too!) and my smoker needs to be fed. Im thinking about picking up a smallish (9-10 foot) very cheap spinning rod, just to hit the pinks on the fraser, then chase the coho and pinks in smaller rivers with the fly. But Im wondering if a fly tossed in the 40 foot mark will still hit schools of moving pinks? Granted, I have an 8 weight rod I just got as a prize at a derby, and Im thinking a shooting head on it for spey casts and distance, but Im not sure of whether to get a spinning rod, or focus more on the 8 weight for the pinks.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »

Most are available that close to shore.

Most fisherman make their casts WAY to long during pink season.  Tossing large crocs and buzzboms way out there, when the pinks actually track closer to shore.

It is a waste of time in the strike zone, and tiring.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »

Most are available that close to shore.

Most fisherman make their casts WAY to long during pink season.  Tossing large crocs and buzzboms way out there, when the pinks actually track closer to shore.

It is a waste of time in the strike zone, and tiring.

Thats what idea Ive had in my head, but you know, the fish are ALWAYS on the other side of the river right? Thanks
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

drock31

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »

For pinks I use a cheap 6'6" spinning rod and reel with 8lb line. That's it. I am also hoping to get some one the fly this year as well so I plan on being both to the river and using whatever depending on the conditions. You should be able too get a cheap rod and reel around 40 or 50 bucks I would think

bunnta

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »

Fly or gear? On the one hand, I fly fish. Period. On the other, this is a meat fishery (and damn fun too!) and my smoker needs to be fed. Im thinking about picking up a smallish (9-10 foot) very cheap spinning rod, just to hit the pinks on the fraser, then chase the coho and pinks in smaller rivers with the fly. But Im wondering if a fly tossed in the 40 foot mark will still hit schools of moving pinks? Granted, I have an 8 weight rod I just got as a prize at a derby, and Im thinking a shooting head on it for spey casts and distance, but Im not sure of whether to get a spinning rod, or focus more on the 8 weight for the pinks.

there are few places on the fraser that you can fly fish for pinks. i would say not so much in the lower fraser but there are places to fly fish ;) and it is true on certain condition especially not a whole lot of vis that salmon are generally very close to the shore line.

trot

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »

there are few places on the fraser that you can fly fish for pinks. i would say not so much in the lower fraser but there are places to fly fish ;) and it is true on certain condition especially not a whole lot of vis that salmon are generally very close to the shore line.

There are a LOT of places to fly fish on the fraser for pinks......Upper and lower. I prefer to lower just due to the slower water and fresher fish. Slow retrieve is best IMO. Also, yes they travel in close.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »

Has it already been two years? Going from keeping an accidentally snagged fish to exclusively fly fishing. ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27518.msg263263#msg263263

Fly fishing is very doable in the Tidal Fraser River. It's easier at some spots and harder at others. Beaches like the ones at MacDonald Beach, Dump Bar, Annacis Island provide plenty of backcasting room for it. You can also do it from the steeper dykes by not casting too far. Fish are pretty close to shore anyway. With water clarity looking much better than two summers ago, it should be even easier to get them on the fly.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »

i plan on alot of fly fishing of my boat just by ladner. cant wait. if you have bright flies they will hit them. cant decide if i am going to bring 8 weight or 6. i bet 6 would be plenty.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »

6 is more than enough.