Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Furry Creek Pink Salmon  (Read 46625 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »

I have my fingers crossed the Fraser fish will be better, but I won't get my hopes up too much. It sounds like relatively speaking the Fraser Pinks in 2019 may not be as bad as the Squamish?  With the heavy rain last night, it's complete waste of time to hit that river for a while until it clears up. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »

I have my fingers crossed the Fraser fish will be better, but I won't get my hopes up too much. It sounds like relatively speaking the Fraser Pinks in 2019 may not be as bad as the Squamish?  With the heavy rain last night, it's complete waste of time to hit that river for a while until it clears up.

Area 20  is a bit better so far then 2017 and area 12 pink catches are lower then 2017, still early but not looking good

https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/test-fishing-results/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:43:01 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »

Fraser Pinks are at least a month or so later than other major stocks on the coast and should be just starting to move through the marine approaches. Locally the Squamish is the other big run and that was expected to be low. Area 12 (Port Hardy/Robson Bight) will see a large component of fish bound for northern rivers to this point, like the Campbell or the Broughton Archipelago Rivers. So far what fish have shown up in the Campbell seem to be a bit later than normal. In a couple weeks there be a better idea of how the Fraser run is shaping up. So far there is no indication from other runs that returns are any better than 2017, but here's hoping!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »

Pink salmon swim upstream @12k per hour? I was a few of miles upstream of that in any event.

The mouth of the Mamquam sees fish in 30min. It's about 6klm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:02:13 AM by Hike_and_fish »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »

Squamish is totally blown and Mamquam is chalky white today. Amazing one night's rain can foul up both rivers. Had no choice but FC was like a ghost town and saw no riser in the afternoon.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2019, 07:54:30 AM »

Squamish is totally blown and Mamquam is chalky white today. Amazing one night's rain can foul up both rivers. Had no choice but FC was like a ghost town and saw no riser in the afternoon.
We went out one morning when only 4mm rain was forecasted the night before.  River had 3 or 4 inches of visibility with tree branches coming down.  It doesn't take much for that river to get blown.  18mm fell between Thurs/Friday according to

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?StationID=336

It might take a few days to clear up.

sockeyed

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08GA022

The main flow went up almost 3 meters. Not surprised to see it has blown out. Will probably take another couple days to clear up.

Stopped by furry on Thursday at the early afternoon low tide. I did not fish but walked around and scoped the area. Only 4 anglers, no fish jumping, no seals, no signs of fish caught. Crazy how this spot has turned right off the past couple cycles.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »

From Pacific angler Blog: https://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-august-2-2019/

"hat we have been seeing on the water.  When I look at our logs, good fishing on beaches up Howe Sound started 4 weeks ago in 2015. This was an amazing year. When we look at last year, we saw some “ok” reports this week, but we never really had the concentration of fish to make beach fishing consistent. So at least from our 12-14 years of information the numbers from DFO make sense.
Long story short it is time to go pink fishing up Howe Sound but with lower numbers, beach fishing consistency is not going to be great.  On the Squamish, guys and girls who know what they are doing are getting fish.  There have even been some epic days but don’t expect epic days every day. So get out there, put time on the water and it should be worth the trip. Alex has more details below and we can only hope for more epic days to come.

If you want to fish the Seymour mouth or up Indian Arm for pinks, we expect them soon but have not heard anything yet. When we hear the first reports of pinks off the Capilano mouth we know it is getting close.  The Fraser should be a few weeks out yet."

From DFO: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=224012&ID=all

"Fraser Pink salmon run size and timing estimates are expected to be available
later in August. Stock composition information in the Area 12 and 20 Purse
Seine test fisheries indicates proportions of Fraser Pinks at 17% and 16%
respectively. Non-Fraser Southern BC and Washington State Pink stocks are
currently making up the majority of the Pink abundance at this time."

Jk47

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08GA022

The main flow went up almost 3 meters. Not surprised to see it has blown out. Will probably take another couple days to clear up
Haha. Wonder how many people drove all the way out there this morning thinking today would be the day to give it a go without realizing it would be a mess

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »

Pacific Anglers reports often strike me as overly optimistic. In their blog they describe 2015 as "an amazing year" which it was not. At that time it had the lowest returns in 20 years and the # of fish in the Squamish were markedly lower than 2013. Howe Sound is a big body of water and pinks in the South Western end could be bound almost anywhere. Indian River pinks normally reach their peak in the local waters on the August long weekend.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jk47

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »

“There have even been some epic days” - Ya right   ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »

“There have even been some epic days” - Ya right   ::)

LOL well they are in the business of selling fishing gear helps if people fish.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10