Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek Pink Salmon  (Read 46497 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »

Drove by Furry Creek yesterday and only one car parked there.

My notes say the peak of the run will be in a week or so.

Drewhill

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »

Squamish and Furry dead this weekend. Not even a riser. My rough guess is just another bad run, not a late run.

ankey

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »

I was at lower Squamish river today. No fish out of the water and 5-7 fishermen.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 12:38:43 AM »

Seems like another bust year in the making...

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2019, 05:09:10 AM »

The Squamish is a fine example of overfishing
 Human's trying to squeeze every last ounce of salmon from its waters
 Not just the Pink salmon but all species. Its beyond sad.

bobby b

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2019, 06:53:51 AM »

Sheesh...so much doom and gloom..

I hooked one yesterday at Squamish and saw a few rolling.
I think it still just early. Aug-Sept is generally when they come through the Squamish in numbers.

bobby b

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 07:24:34 AM »

Seems like another bust year in the making...

Why do you say this? How many have you caught there mid July in previous years?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2019, 08:09:24 AM »

Not sure, I don't keep records. But I recall in 2015, the first year I went for pinks, seeing schools of thousands of fish milling about at FC. As I recall the great anticipation I had in 2017 for the pink run, which in comparison to 2015 was a real let down. Everyone was saying 'they're just late', and then it was a very disappointing year. Just as people are saying 'they're just late' this year...we'll see.

redside1

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »

My guess is Squamish pinks are going to be awful this cycle due to the 9 gravel moving events that we had on this cycles spawn. The fry downstream trap on the Cheakamus ( as part of Hydro's water use plan) commonly generates fry estimates of around 40 million fry but last cycle was under 4 million. The hatchery only managed to release 600 000 fry out of their 1.8 million egg target as the fish just were not there to collect. My guess is it's going to be poor and very crowded with the Fraser closed.

Once again Brian, its looking like you are correct. Many still think they are late but almost always when they are late they just don't exist and the return is poor. I guess the 30 years or so working for DFO helped with your insights. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »

July 28th in 2013 and 2015 my records show very solid days. The start of it anyhow and Aug 10th being the peak.

243Pete

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »

2017 Watching fish spawn at the very end of the sand bar was kinda troubling in my opinion, the match of the big floods of water had pushed LOTS of the spawning pinks, coho and chum out of their normal areas and I found fish in places where they shouldn't be line small side channels that are normally dry 90% of the year and even just on dry land at the base of trees (Not consumed by predation).
This year I feel like it will be a small small run of fish that won't even compare to 2017's numbers cause of above said observations, I am surprised with the low numbers that they would even open retention of pinks in the Squamish if numbers will be so low.
2015 Was a good run of pinks as I remember good numbers of fish all over but if anyone remembers that in early October there was a massive amount of rain that came down and pushed a lot of gravel and items down river and at that time I had already made my prediction that 2017 will be low numbers and 2019 will be the same if not worse cause we had more events that flushed the river in October through to November.
I could be completely wrong about all this and the fish are going to show up at any time but that is what a lot and I mean a LOT of people said about Furry creek and it was only hot for a week at the start of August and then quiet again.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »

Late fish never show.. that being said it looks to be a bit better so far then 2017, that’s not saying much tho as 2017 was  a complete collapse.

Fishing in west van for pinks has been better then 2017 but Thoes fish are heading for the Indian river.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »

Definitely a bust year. Last year starting july 16th I was picking up 5-15 fish an evening on the sq and from then on fishing was pretty consistent with most guys on the bar hooking into a few. As for Furry creek I used to fish it almost everyday in the past couple cycles and found the peak to be mid-late July with multiple days of 10+ hook ups for everyone, but this year?.... :-\

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »

At Furry Creek 2013 & 2015 both started earlier in July than I seem to recall happening with earlier years. Late July into August were the better times in previous years. FWIW 2013 blew away '15, let alone '17. I think 2013 was the highest return on record for the south coast.

2017 was the worst pink season cycle I fished in close to 40 years of fishing for pinks. I had one day on the Squamish that I landed about a dozen fish. The season started later and ended earlier than any other cycle I can recall.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »

In 2015 5 of us landed over 30 Pinks each before noon. Maybe that was part of the problem. The Squamish was like a bathtub. Ever since then I've capped my C&R at 10.