Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Furry Creek Pink Salmon  (Read 46499 times)

243Pete

Re: Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2019, 02:49:14 PM »

2013 and 2015 at Furry Creek I recall getting fish just before the end of the first week and as time went on it only got better, but what concerned me in 2015 is that in late August I was still catching pinks but most of them had turned brown and looked like they were ready to spawn but they were around the cliff side where a large sail boat had been anchored for about two months. I keep hearing of people saying how some pinks turn color before they head in to the rivers but I am talking white belly and dripping eggs and milt kinda conditions while out in the ocean still.

2017 was probably the worst for me as well. Squamish had fish but my theory was that because of the low low numbers they are basically running scared or are searching for more fish to group with before spawning?

Sigh... guess this gives me more of a reason to make more bonefish flies instead of tying pink salmon flies.

yoda

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »

So, just one Question.
When looking out at the water across from Furry creek, was the water silty on the other side?
Just curious, because most of the fish get the scent from the squamish and will come up that side like the last cycle.
They did really good at defence islands while it sucked at Furry last cycle, and I was having 20-30fish days in the squamish.
So you can't judge a book by it's covers.

243Pete

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »

So, just one Question.
When looking out at the water across from Furry creek, was the water silty on the other side?
Just curious, because most of the fish get the scent from the squamish and will come up that side like the last cycle.
They did really good at defence islands while it sucked at Furry last cycle, and I was having 20-30fish days in the squamish.
So you can't judge a book by it's covers.

I was reading that the outflow from the Squamish was mostly on the other side around the defense island and I did hear of good fishing over there but that is the Squamish run of fish, not sure if anyone has noticed but there are NO fish spawning in Furry creek like in the past.
Squamish in 2017 was good, on gear or fly it was fairly consistant and you were seeing fish jumping and rising to give some indication of movement which got people into fish but not like the mass numbers of fish like in 2013-2015 where you couldn't really wade out without being bumped into by travelling pinks. Right now it feels more like swinging for steelhead as there are so few of them and even if you see them getting them to bite can be hit and miss at times cause they are way more tight lipped when in fewer numbers.
Not judging a book by it's cover but I made my predictions in 2015 and 2017 as I've told people that the numbers will be pretty much dismal cause of the destruction by the washing out of the spawning beds, if I am wrong I'll gladly eat my own words but as other members have said in areas where they should be thick enough to walk over like a living mat of fish, there was literally only enough fish to count on two hands.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »

Just wondering if there is in-season monitoring of the Squamish run to determine health/size of the run and/or if escapement goals are being met? And if so, is there any historical data to compare with?

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »

In a nut shell, no. The only input is very limited. The Cheakamus River Water Use plan monitors juvenile migration on the Cheakamus and that is about it ( last pink cycle the juvenile migration was about 10% of the recent averages). Tenderfoot Hatchery conducts a pink enhancement program and they input there catch and spawning numbers. Last cycle they only collected about 1/3 of there target due to poor escapement. The hatchery also has a chinook enhancement program on most of the major steams in the watershed and they also pass along there pink bycatch numbers and observations. There are also several individuals with extensive salmon expertise and they also pass along there observations. These are anecdotal but they tend to reflect the reality in the watershed.

DFO Fish Management has no escapement goals nor any idea of what the escapement is or has been or what it should be. It is just based on if there is lots or little amounts of pinks in the rivers. That is the info they use to base fisheries on and that includes commercial fisheries. If you feel that needs to improve then direct your comments to Barbara.Mueller@dfo-mpo.gc.ca . She is the area fish manager for the Squamish and Howe Sound area.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

I wouldn’t waste my time emailing any peon in DFO about it best send your concerns to the Squamish fish nations they have far more pull with the top brass in DFO.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2019, 07:20:43 PM »

All the tribs were blown today so no clean inner seam.  Only a report of two fish caught at furry up until the low tide.  Hopefully dropping water levels will clear up the tribs.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »

From my unscientific observations, it looks like to me this season is worse than 2017.  I doubt the fish are late.  There is fewer of them around.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »

The smaller the return the smaller and narrower the bell curve looks.  While the peak of the bell curve will remain similar to previous years, the leading and trailing edges will make it appear that the fish are later to arrive and disappear sooner to disappear.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »

Very slow today at FC. Buddy was there for a few hours this morning. Only saw two hookups, both long distance released.
I'm afraid fic is right. It looks like a much smaller than expected return. Just found my 2005 notes: " Friday, July 29,  2005". What a blast on Furry Creek today.  15 fish hooked and 6 landed. Rob landed at least twice as many."
Wow...it sure has gone downhill in the last few years. :(

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »

I was there at first light today. Nothing seen. A bunch of people showed up for the tide change but I had to leave.

ankey

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »

I finally got one yesterday on my third visits to Squamish River. I saw 2 fish out of the water.
I feel that it's been steelhead fishing.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »

spent about 5 hours on the river this morning and early afternoon. Saw 2 risers and hooked but lost 1 fish. Before Leaving checked the tides - high tide was about 5am. I have heard it takes about 6 hours for fish to get to the popular fishing locales. Saw the first rise at 10:45.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2019, 05:17:13 AM »

spent about 5 hours on the river this morning and early afternoon. Saw 2 risers and hooked but lost 1 fish. Before Leaving checked the tides - high tide was about 5am. I have heard it takes about 6 hours for fish to get to the popular fishing locales. Saw the first rise at 10:45.

It takes 30min for the first fish to push in to the first popular spot on the Squamish after titde change. Doesnt take long at all.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2019, 06:34:46 AM »

Pink salmon swim upstream @12k per hour? I was a few of miles upstream of that in any event.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10