Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek Pink Salmon  (Read 46452 times)

SALMONRULE

Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »

any reports if the fish have arrived and if fishing is picking up at furry. been searching for reports and hope so I can prepare my old car for the drive towards Squamish for a pink salmon !

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Furry Creek Pink Salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »

The first pink thread. Nice.

My logs show Pinks in numbers on July 28th. A bit to go yet
 I hear reports of some Pink encounters North Island now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:51:09 AM by Hike_and_fish »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »

Pacific Angler Blog mentioned pink encounters locally around West Van. Squamish itself is not open to pinks for now.

sockeyed

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »

Rivers not open to retention yet, but Howe Sound and West Van Ocean/Beach fishing is open to retain 4 pinks daily.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:25:52 AM by sockeyed »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:59:11 AM »

Pink returns to the Squamish in 2017 were poor as was fishing at Furry Creek. I haven't seen any assessment of expectations for this year but I am not that optimistic beyond thinking it can't be much worse than 2017.

Fish could be there now  and normally show strongly within the next 10 days or so.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:46:27 AM »

I haven't seen any assessment of expectations for this year but I am not that optimistic beyond thinking it can't be much worse than 2017.

It can be much worse
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:26:12 AM by adriaticum »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Squamish Pink run isnt completely obliterated. The 2015 heat combined with the reckless poaching and C&R I saw in 2015 really showed in 2017.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Squamish Pink run isnt completely obliterated. The 2015 heat combined with the reckless poaching and C&R I saw in 2015 really showed in 2017.
Our local rivers in NW Washington are expecting dismal returns due to flooding in late 2017 that washed out the redds.  Did the Squamish system experience the same flooding?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »

In 2017, I went to Furry creek on Aug 5 and did not see fish.
on Aug 12, saw a few fish caught

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:10 PM »

Furry Creek was pretty empty in 2017 compared to prior years. I almost had the beach to myself a few times.  Lots periods when no one on the entire beach was fighting fish. 

SALMONRULE

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »

well this isn't the best... I was looking forward to catching some pinks this year. Finally got a car and was hoping to participate in the fisheries at different locations I wasn't able to during my childhood. Hopefully the lower the retention from 4 to 2 this summer so the pinks can recover a bit. When does the squam or the mamquam begin to liven up?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 04:21:06 PM »

I hope it is none retention to help recovery. The fishery is two- year cycle. We cannot expect low numbers of fish produce more fish in one cycle.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »

I hope it is none retention to help recovery. The fishery is two- year cycle. We cannot expect low numbers of fish produce more fish in one cycle.

Non retention creates an upheaval.
Instead fish limits should be managed better.
2 salmon per day has always seemed like a reasonable limit to me for those who love to fish and eat the fish.
Of course you have those who just want to fill their freezer as fast as they can.
They will complain.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »

My guess is Squamish pinks are going to be awful this cycle due to the 9 gravel moving events that we had on this cycles spawn. The fry downstream trap on the Cheakamus ( as part of Hydro's water use plan) commonly generates fry estimates of around 40 million fry but last cycle was under 4 million. The hatchery only managed to release 600 000 fry out of their 1.8 million egg target as the fish just were not there to collect. My guess is it's going to be poor and very crowded with the Fraser closed.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »

I cant recall the year exactly but there has been returns of almost tripple  in one cycle. Its happened.