Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morning Rant  (Read 8835 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Morning Rant
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2022, 12:35:01 PM »

I think Ralph explained it best here, Yes very sad with the new era including the new breed of people

How is having "the new breed of people" like me in this country sad? You're entitled to your opinion, and I consider myself pretty tolerant, but I actually find the last couple of your posts quite offensive.

To me Rememberance Day stands for the patriotic thoughts and memories of those who fought for Canada.
Why would you even debate and be condescending about that. Best think about it a little more.

The keywords here are "to you". Your definition of patriotism may be very different to mine or someone else's. I didn't grow up in this country until my late teens, so obviously I have very little connection to Remembrance Day. I respect the importance of it for others. I try to be conscious about what I do and say on days leading up to November 11th, not because I'm worried that I might offend people, but I care about how those who have been impacted by the wars may feel on these days. This doesn't mean I would be actively outspoken about the importance of Remembrance Day. It also doesn't make me less patriotic. I show my love of Canada in other ways, everyone contributes to this nation differently.

This is why you are seeing all kinds of opinions in this thread that may not align with yours. They're not trying to be condescending, they're just disagreeing and sharing their own perspectives. That's what's great about this country, the diversity is what keeps us growing and moving forward. I get that you may feel sad that the Canada now is not the same as the nation you grew up knowing, but please don't suggest that it is no longer as good because of the new breed of people like us. There are plenty of positive progresses in this country worth celebrating about.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:43:43 PM by Rodney »

sumasriver

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2022, 12:41:03 PM »

Diversity makes us all stronger.  Change is inevitable.  Adapting to change is critical for all of us.  Canada is an amazing country.  Patriotism can be shown in many different ways.    I am sure we are all Proud Canadians.

Many young people would prefer to see Remembrance day focus more on Peace and less on WW1 and WW2.

Myself, I am a bit traditional and i like to wear the Poppy in respect for my grandparents that had to make huge sacrifices during WW2.

To each their own, tolerance is one thing that makes Canadians special.

Roderick

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »

It's easy to forget the sacrifices made in the past because most people in Canada today have never had to live through a war.  In a way, this lack of awareness is a good thing because it is a result of the fact that we have had 2 generations of peace.  I think the people in Ukraine wish they could just forget about war, but, of course, the Russians have made that impossible. 

I wear the poppy not only to remember those that defended our way of life in the past, but also as a sign of respect to those Canadians (of all backgrounds) that volunteer for the Canadian military.  These people wont be fighting the last war.  There is always the possibility that they will need to put themselves on the front lines to defend us.  Lets hope they don't have to.

Peace.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

booters

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2022, 02:38:31 PM »

How is having "the new breed of people" like me in this country sad? You're entitled to your opinion, and I consider myself pretty tolerant, but I actually find the last couple of your posts quite offensive.

The keywords here are "to you". Your definition of patriotism may be very different to mine or someone else's. I didn't grow up in this country until my late teens, so obviously I have very little connection to Remembrance Day. I respect the importance of it for others. I try to be conscious about what I do and say on days leading up to November 11th, not because I'm worried that I might offend people, but I care about how those who have been impacted by the wars may feel on these days. This doesn't mean I would be actively outspoken about the importance of Remembrance Day. It also doesn't make me less patriotic. I show my love of Canada in other ways, everyone contributes to this nation differently.

This is why you are seeing all kinds of opinions in this thread that may not align with yours. They're not trying to be condescending, they're just disagreeing and sharing their own perspectives. That's what's great about this country, the diversity is what keeps us growing and moving forward. I get that you may feel sad that the Canada now is not the same as the nation you grew up knowing, but please don't suggest that it is no longer as good because of the new breed of people like us. There are plenty of positive progresses in this country worth celebrating about.
Maybe I didnt make myself clear enough, apologize, not referring to the races, definetely not ,probably reference to the younger generation of all races. Those not appreciative of what they have or what they got.
Im not all that good with word explanations but i intend on saying things that people dont take offensive to I might fail at that and think I have done so with this forum,again please no offense intended. I think its best for me to discontinue with this forum as I know i can be outspoken and people can misinterrprut my output.
Enyoyed it, learned a lot but time to go. Once again no intended offense,just my improper usage of wordong.

SuperBobby

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »

A few problems with your comments:
1. It’s “virtue signalling
2. Virtue signalling is not about forcing your beliefs and ideals
3. What booters wrote is not virtue signalling

Not so super, Bobby.

Besides I think we can cut a 77 yr old some slack when he expresses, in his way, that he thinks it’s important to wear a poppy.

1. This is why I don't debate much on the internet anymore. When the first comment on someone's post is attacking your TYPO, you know the remaining argument is going to be weak (which is true in this case). What I also found funny about you attacking my typo is that you spelled 'signaling' wrong after pointing out that I spelled 'virtue' wrong.

2 and 3. Disagree. What Booters original post said is most definitely virtue signaling. He wants everyone to conform to what his beliefs and ideals on poppies/veterans are, and he will talk to you as you are a bad person if you don't get in line with his boot camp expectations.
When you guilt trip someone, talk a person in a condescending manner, or get mad at someone for not doing what matches your beliefs or ideals.....you are absolutely virtue signaling. You are projecting what you believe is right or wrong onto someone, and expect them to agree with you no matter what. This is also the same as appointing yourself to a position of being the supreme moral authority on a given subject.

What has happened in our society is that wokeness has plagued the vast majority of people. Most people in the last few years have become so woke.....and they have accepted and conceded to being virtue signaled at so often that they don't even realize that its happening. Clarki is a good example of this. He doesn't even see it.

And for the record, I have the absolute most respect for our veterans. If our WW1 and WW2 Vets could see Trudope and the Libtards today, they would be turning in their graves. Their wives would be turning in their graves wondering what their husbands gave their lives for. I love our vets in this country, but where our federal leadership does not.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:51:43 PM by SuperBobby »

bobby b

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2022, 05:20:20 PM »

I am or was not steamed about people not wearing a poppy.

I am flabbergasted by those clerks not wearing a Poppy? I just dont get it.

::)

…. Condescending!?! Take a look in the mirror bud.

Look… what if the clerk has an issue with the fact that prisoners make poppies? What if the clerk has an issue with poppies being bad for the environment as they are single use plastic (yes, I know there are now some biodegradable versions).

My great grandfather, grandfather and my father were all Veterans. I grew up in a war zone. There were gun battles on my street. There were car bombs on my street. I know what war feels like, what war sounds like and what it’s like to lose friends and family to war. If I ever chose to not wear a poppy …. guess what …. ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!

All I was saying was …. If someone (including someone that is selling them) chooses not to wear a poppy, don’t just pass judgement on them by posting on a fishing forum of all places. Did you ask them why they weren’t wearing one? Maybe it just fell off for crying out loud. At times I have had a poppy pinned on at the start of the day only to realize that it was not there at the end of the day. Don’t freakin judge people.

You post should be titled ‘morning whine’ imo

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:58:49 PM by bobby b »

sumasriver

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »

And for the record, I have the absolute most respect for our veterans. If our WW1 and WW2 Vets could see Trudope and the Libtards today, they would be turning in their graves. Their wives would be turning in their graves wondering what their husbands gave their lives for. I love our vets in this country, but where our federal leadership does not.

Libtards ....  that term is offensive....

The Liberal Party is the longest-serving and oldest active federal political party in the country, and has dominated federal politics of Canada for much of its history, holding power for almost 70 years of the 20th century. As a result, it has sometimes been referred to as Canada's "natural governing party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Canada#:

mikeyman

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2022, 08:10:36 PM »

Good Day
Apologize this is not fishing related but I have to bring it up,
Many times I have attended business outlets which display and sell Remembrance Day Poppies over the counters.
However I am flabbergasted by those clerks not wearing a Poppy? I just dont get it.
Also to continue year after year I have noticed right up to the day people,all ages,race etc not wearing poppy?
Remember people,those who fought for our freedom.
Thanks

OK Don Cherry 👍

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2022, 09:28:05 AM »

look folks in the current state of political discourse "virtue signalling" is what woke liberals do. "Dog whistling" is traditional territory of the irrational right. Please respect the foul lines.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sumasriver

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »

look folks in the current state of political discourse "virtue signalling" is what woke liberals do. "Dog whistling" is traditional territory of the irrational right. Please respect the foul lines.

signaling is how it is spelled...... 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:31:58 AM by sumasriver »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2022, 11:01:12 AM »

1. This is why I don't debate much on the internet anymore. When the first comment on someone's post is attacking your TYPO, you know the remaining argument is going to be weak (which is true in this case). What I also found funny about you attacking my typo is that you spelled 'signaling' wrong after pointing out that I spelled 'virtue' wrong.

2 and 3. Disagree. What Booters original post said is most definitely virtue signaling. He wants everyone to conform to what his beliefs and ideals on poppies/veterans are, and he will talk to you as you are a bad person if you don't get in line with his boot camp expectations.
When you guilt trip someone, talk a person in a condescending manner, or get mad at someone for not doing what matches your beliefs or ideals.....you are absolutely virtue signaling. You are projecting what you believe is right or wrong onto someone, and expect them to agree with you no matter what. This is also the same as appointing yourself to a position of being the supreme moral authority on a given subject.

What has happened in our society is that wokeness has plagued the vast majority of people. Most people in the last few years have become so woke.....and they have accepted and conceded to being virtue signaled at so often that they don't even realize that its happening. Clarki is a good example of this. He doesn't even see it.

It wasn’t trying to be a doosh by pointing out a typo, rather since it was a whole different word (virtual/virtue), my assumption was that you were misinformed, not just bad proofreader.  If you are merely guilty of a typo, then mea culpa.

However, at the risk of further extending my doosh-ery, I will point out that “signaling” and “signalling” are both acceptable spellings of the word. One is the more common American spelling, the other is the more common British spelling. I chose the latter.

Nit picks aside…I will admit that I was not familiar with the term “virtue signalling” when you first wrote it, so I did some reading. Every article I read spoke about virtue signalling as being about managing the perceptions others have about you. You communicate (or signal) your beliefs, values or actions in order to be thought of as being virtuous. Also called moral grandstanding. In nothing that I read did it talk about virtue signalling as trying to force your beliefs and ideals on others. Virtue signalling (from what I read and now understand) is trying to influence what others believe or perceive about you, and not about forcing them to conform to your position.

So that’s where I think you are wrong. Both in your definition and understanding of virtue signalling and calling out booters.

Ironically, there is the school of thought that calling out virtue signalling is in itself an act of virtue signalling. Ironic, huh? 😀

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 11:03:07 AM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »

signaling is how it is spelled......

the new woke spelling is signalling

It wasn’t trying to be a doosh by pointing out a typo

I believe the correct spelling is douche

and by the way opening with a statement like  "I am not trying to be an [X]" leaves ones exposed to the accusation that just naturally are an

Not that I am implying you naturally are a doosh. I have no reason to think that. Absolutely none!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:44:48 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »

I believe the correct spelling is douche

It is. I was trying to be clever. Apparently I failed

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »

perhaps not!  8)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2022, 06:15:21 PM »

the new woke spelling is signalling

The traditional British spelling is signaulling (like colour). The extra U has fallen out of favour in recent years, at least that's what my neighbour tells me.

Seriously though, why has nobody called out the claim that poppies aren't still being handed out in schools? They certainly are, and kids are encouraged to bring in donations. There are Remembrance Day activities in most classes, and school-wide assemblies on the school day before the 11th. Most schools invite current or retired military members to speak to the students, and pipers are also common during these proceedings. Remembrance Day is still a full-fledged Big Deal in the school system.