Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morning Rant  (Read 8823 times)

dobrolub

Re: Morning Rant
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2022, 08:58:01 AM »

Well, even if there is a little chance of poppies glorifying human sacrifice than I would say stop wearing poppies. In my mind - it's a way to control humans, get them ( us ) in line and round up for war - "to protect the future of our children" - same reason our grandfathers were called to war.

Did it make the future safer? Are we now living in an era of no wars? Did wearing poppies help stop human sacrifice?

Doesn't look like it did!

It only helps perpetuating this idea that sacrifice is necessary and expected.

Your children or grand-children don't need the sacrifice!

Your elites do!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:00:08 AM by dobrolub »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2022, 11:01:47 AM »

Did it make the future safer? Are we now living in an era of no wars? Did wearing poppies help stop human sacrifice?

Doesn't look like it did!

How long have we had police officers? Are we now living in an era of no crime? Doesn't look like it!
How long has he been in chemo? Did he survive the cancer? Doesn't look like it!
How long has MADD been running holiday drunk driving campaigns? Has drunk driving stopped? Doesn't look like it!

Not sure that line of logic holds up... ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2022, 12:03:29 PM »

Remembrance Day ( first called Armistice Day) was first observed in 1919 to commemorate the losses of the British Empire in the Great War, the War to End All Wars.

How many wars has involved the Nations involved in WW1? WW2, Korea, Vietnam, The 2 Gulf Wars, Afghanistan (both the US and the Soviet Union ones) the current Ukraine War and many more. All of these wars were mistakes and were likely avoidable. I think dobrolub makes this point. Overall I think history supports this conclusion. Most historians agree the Great War and it's settlement were an important factor in the cause of WW2. That later war brought other wars.

We don't think about this enough on the 11th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »

Could it be that wearing poppies and some of the most destructive ideologies which lead to wars were thought up by the same people? I find that to be very likely.

Roderick

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »

If that were true we would be commemorating  the beginning of the war, not the end of it. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:27:20 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »

the poppy symbol of remembrance was inspired by the first line  of John McRae's  poem "In Flanders Fields':

https://www.warmuseum.ca/learn/in-flanders-fields/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

santefe

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2022, 02:32:11 PM »

The poppies are a way of remembering many Canadians who volunteered, went overseas and who fought in two world wars and in many cases died for our beliefs and the freedoms that we have here today.  My father who did not return was one was one of those volunteers.
I believe this would be a far different world had they not done so.
Whether one decides to wear a poppie or not it is that person's choice.  Be thankful that you do have a choice

bj23

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »

I sort of agree. I almost see it as a plea for people to agree with you, in order to validate your opinion. Cant say I've never done this before but still, it is something which will not provide you with anything that meaningful as I have learned. You will not change other's opinions. Best thing to do is keep it to yourself. It may be important to you but probably 50% of people alive here have never seen/been in a war or such conditions. Some might just be lazy, some might have much bigger problems in life to worry about. Some may see it as a Canadian patriotic symbol and may not be patriotic to Canada. For example I am from Serbia and even though I was born here I live by my Serbian heritage %100. Canada is part of NATO who is responsible for bombing my country and my people, my mother was in the bombings and could have passed away or been injured. I am in no way patriotic towards Canada. I thinks its better here than America but my mother brought me here so I have an opportunity to be successful which wasn't present back home.

Help me get a few thoughts straight about you & Canada. Although you were born in Canada, you say you are from Serbia. You are living in Canada, but you are living 100% in your 'Serbian heritage'. Canada is part of NATO and NATO was involved in the Serbian conflict. NATO bombed your country and your people. NATO's bombing could have 'passed away' or injured your mother. You think that Canada is a better country than the United States (another NATO member). Canada welcomed your mother as a refugee from Serbia and offered her sanctuary. Canada did not take your mother as a prisoner from Serbia. Canada set up your mother to allow you to have the opportunity to have a more successful life than you had back home. Why was Canada (NATO) in your country?
   Canada is in a position to offer others freedom and the hope for a better life. The reason Canada is in that position is that some guys got off their lazy asses and hooked up with some others at the local fishing hole. These guys got together with a few others, of the same beliefs, and went to defend other nations in what is called war. A lot of those lazy asses did not make home to the comfort and sanctity of Canada. They selfishly died for others' beliefs & humanity and are honored here on Remembrance Day. It will be my privilege to honor those allied sacrifices on that day.
   What I struggle with is someone taking all that my country has to offer and can only say, "I am in no way patriotic towards Canada". I know you think it best that I keep these opinions to myself, but I am not concerned about your thoughts or even your existence. I would like to offer you my personal wishes for your fast track to success and a fast trip back to the choice of your village or some other non-Nato country. Canada presents the freedom of choice.
   BTW. What does your mother do on NOV11?  Father?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 05:07:39 PM by bj23 »

sumasriver

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2022, 05:42:54 PM »

I wear the poppy out of respect for my relatives that volunteered to fight in WW2.
Grandfather was a  teacher with 3 small kids when he volunteered. I wear the Poppy for all of those like him that wanted to see a free Europe and stop the spread of fascism.

Of course being a canadian i do respect the views of others.  So i could care less if others do or do not wear the poppy.   We have the freedom here in Canada to live our lives as we choose pretty much.

Anti Vax crowd also has the freedom to protest against modern  science as well.   Just don't honk your horns all night and block local traffic please.

danielk

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2022, 07:27:48 PM »

I need to buy another one   I lost mine pulling 2 bucks out of some fire weed. Time to get a couple. I loose them so fast

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2022, 10:21:07 PM »

Help me get a few thoughts straight about you & Canada. Although you were born in Canada, you say you are from Serbia. You are living in Canada, but you are living 100% in your 'Serbian heritage'. Canada is part of NATO and NATO was involved in the Serbian conflict. NATO bombed your country and your people. NATO's bombing could have 'passed away' or injured your mother. You think that Canada is a better country than the United States (another NATO member). Canada welcomed your mother as a refugee from Serbia and offered her sanctuary. Canada did not take your mother as a prisoner from Serbia. Canada set up your mother to allow you to have the opportunity to have a more successful life than you had back home. Why was Canada (NATO) in your country?
   Canada is in a position to offer others freedom and the hope for a better life. The reason Canada is in that position is that some guys got off their lazy asses and hooked up with some others at the local fishing hole. These guys got together with a few others, of the same beliefs, and went to defend other nations in what is called war. A lot of those lazy asses did not make home to the comfort and sanctity of Canada. They selfishly died for others' beliefs & humanity and are honored here on Remembrance Day. It will be my privilege to honor those allied sacrifices on that day.
   What I struggle with is someone taking all that my country has to offer and can only say, "I am in no way patriotic towards Canada". I know you think it best that I keep these opinions to myself, but I am not concerned about your thoughts or even your existence. I would like to offer you my personal wishes for your fast track to success and a fast trip back to the choice of your village or some other non-Nato country. Canada presents the freedom of choice.
   BTW. What does your mother do on NOV11?  Father?

you seem very personally attacked. I'm not sure why but here is my response. First off my parents are immigrants not refugees. My family and I are extremely appreciative for this country that we have the opportunity to live a healthy and safe life where we don't have to worry about making ends meet. Yes we could have lived an ok life back home but parents always want better for their kids so they came here to start a family. I owe it to my country to be the best citizen I can. Which I always try my best to do. I know that everything I use on a daily basis was built by other people and those before me (highways, roads, water treatment, homes, ect). That's why I do my best to be a good part of the community. Also why I am studying engineering so I can do my part to help our society solve problems in order to advance. That's what I owe to this country. To help others, pay my taxes. Take care of the land and ensure a positive future. Patriotic to me means strong political support and backing. Which I think in national means Canada and America are both some huge assholes. I have the right to believe that. I don't know what you know about Balkan wars but I know quite a bit. Just because I am not patriotic to this country doesn't mean I'm not a good person who wishes to help it. In terms of remembrance day I support that it is important to remember those who fought before us in all wars at all times. In fact in previous years I have volunteered at Edmonds Community Centre to set up the remembrance day events. Some feel much more connected because its personal and some not so much. If I didn't wear a poopy or did what would it really change, I am not a person that believes much for spiritual change I believe in actually doing something about it. Donating to a charity for example that supports veterans, that I believe is the best support. Even though it might be a few dollars now and then. When I am successful I will be able to donate more. For me I believe my duty is to help prevent further useless conflicts that end lives of innocent. Anyways you surely seem like a big NATO fan. Must be so proud that your tax dollars are funding a war against Russia... Seems like such an intelligent idea.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2022, 07:28:55 AM »

I guess the fishing season must really be over!

:D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »

They were talking about this on the radio this morning,  If we don't remember are we doomed to repeat the past?

"While the report found that “three in four Canadians express satisfaction with democracy in Canada and the same proportion agrees that democracy is better than any other form of government,” only 39 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 29 agree with the same statement, compared to 74 per cent of those above 60. Twenty-one per cent of young Canadians believe that it doesn’t matter whether a government is democratic or non-democratic, and 12 per cent agree an authoritarian government might be preferable under certain circumstances."

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/grafton-are-young-people-ready-to-abandon-democracy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:28:46 PM by wildmanyeah »

sumasriver

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2022, 01:17:13 PM »

They were talking about this on the radio this morning,  If we don't remember are we doomed to repeat the past?

"While the report found that “three in four Canadians express satisfaction with democracy in Canada and the same proportion agrees that democracy is better than any other form of government,” only 39 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 29 agree with the same statement, compared to 74 per cent of those above 60. Twenty-one per cent of young Canadians believe that it doesn’t matter whether a government is democratic or non-democratic, and 12 per cent agree an authoritarian government might be preferable under certain circumstances."

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/grafton-are-young-people-ready-to-abandon-democracy

Just at look at down south...  USA insurrection at the capital building..
Democracy not appreciated or respected...

Yet  people still will vote Trump when given the chance...   

The past is forgotten, nothing learned.

Roderick

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »

Hey Darko. 
I believe my duty is to help prevent further useless conflicts that end lives of innocent.

This is one statement that I can 100% totally agree with.  My question for you is how do we go about doing that?

The war in the Balkans was a total mess.  Even today the divisions that started that war exist and the potential for another war seems to be growing on a daily basis.  How do we defuse those tensions?  From your statements above, I presume the group that your family belonged to was supported in that war by the Russians, while the other side was supported by NATO.  But you must admit that neither the Russians nor NATO started that war.  I understand that you feel some gratitude towards Russia because of the support they gave you, and perhaps even loyalty, but do you really feel that the support they gave you in the past is enough for you to justify the Russians starting the war in Ukraine and, as you say, ending innocent lives there? 

It's interesting that your family chose to come to a NATO country even after everything they experienced.  Why didn't they go to Russia?  I think it's because despite the support that Russia gave your group in the war, in the end, this NATO country was both economically and philosophically superior.  And of course if they had chosen Russia, you personally would be killing innocents right now instead of taking engineering and fishing a lot. 

You don't owe Russia anything. 

So go ahead and live your life peacefully here while keeping in mind that the Balkans is still a powderkeg that could go up anytime.  A new war there, whoever starts it, would send ripples all around the world. 

Peace. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.