Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67494 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer

Looks the guide group need a clean up. First is beating the shore angler, now guide people to fish salmon in Fraser when salmon fishing is closed there. What is the next?

BMo86

The fines didn't appear to scare anyone 10-12 jets and a handful of car toppers all well in the confluences of the Fraser today throwing spoons

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=780776456302122&set=a.649559122757190

Tells you alot about the quality of guides. Resorting to snagging because you are unable to catch them legally.

4x4

Looks the guide group need a clean up. First is beating the shore angler, now guide people to fish salmon in Fraser when salmon fishing is closed there. What is the next?

Wow. Fishing out of boundary AND retaining more than the allowable quota.

Rod mentioned many weeks ago that he would provide an update (within a week) on the a-holes that beat up the fisher. Have I missed it?

BMo86

Well that was fast DFO boat just came in and cleared them all out

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Wow. Fishing out of boundary AND retaining more than the allowable quota.

Rod mentioned many weeks ago that he would provide an update (within a week) on the a-holes that beat up the fisher. Have I missed it?

I don't have an update unfortunately, been waiting for one. Last I checked with the victim, he wanted to see charges laid, and was supposed to be IDing the accused in the line-up, but I haven't heard anything since.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Hey Rod,

New to fishing shallow runs here (I'm not a steelheader... yet). How do you know what's a fishy shallow run vs a barren one? Just looking for jumping fish? Reading water is much easier when there's features around (deeper pools, obvious seams, rapids etc) but lost when it comes to reading a shallow stretch of water.

Thanks!

The first thing I'm usually looking for are spots that have not been disturbed by anglers and chinook salmon. The second thing I'm looking for fish that are quietly finning or rolling every now and then.

ButtLoadOfDucks

Will go for a walk and take a look then, is finning vs jumping an important distinction?

Sucks to hear about that guide. Pretty disappointing to see.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Will go for a walk and take a look then, is finning vs jumping an important distinction?

I'd like to think so. If I see fish darting around in the run and jumping all over the place, that may seem exciting but it's usually a waste of time for coho salmon fishing. The fish are either spooked, or on the move, the last thing they want to do is to settle down and look at whatever you are offering them. When I see a little dorsal fin or back quietly porpoising, that's when I get excited. The fish are sitting peacefully on in the run, and would actually take the time to see whatever you're putting in front of them.

clarki

• Old Timer

In addition to quietly porpoising, tail boils on the surface usually indicate bitey fish.

Lunk Louie

When I see a little dorsal fin or back quietly porpoising, that's when I get excited.

LOL ....a natural fisherman's reaction to a an exciting visual for sure....but I can tell you with these current conditions (extremely low, crystal clear water, bright daylight and mega-bombed terrified Ho's after running the gauntlet in the canal chokepoints), are posing challenges I've rarely ever seen on this flow to the point that seeing these guys finning and porpoising even in quiet water post gauntlet has usually meant more frustration than success....and that's regardless of tactics including deployment of my nuclear fly !!!  :o

Best everybody pack up and head up to Wilson road and Allison where the biters hang out :D

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:42:13 PM by Lunk Louie »

roeman

This horse has been beaten to death on this website, if you think its a problem report to DFO, include pictures

I guess you took your own pictures.. LOL
Thanks for proving my point about people that are entitles to do want they want. 
What a looser...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:54:08 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin

bigsnag

• Old Timer

I honestly suck at catching springs. ;D I got one this season, and now I'm all distracted by coho so not paying any attention to the big ivory kings anymore...

I wouldn't mind get another one though, because a couple of weeks ago I made fish and chips with the one I caught and it was amazing!

Fish and chips time!

It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ButtLoadOfDucks

Hey thanks for the info Rod, Clarki, and Lunk. If anything I'll find some spots where they'll be likely to hang out when (hopefully not IF) the water comes up!