Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fight to Save Wild Salmon  (Read 9193 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
The Fight to Save Wild Salmon
« on: October 31, 2019, 05:07:09 PM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: The Fight to Save Wild Salmon
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »

LOL! Shoot the messenger!

Eight years since an audit found 'abuses'. SHOCKING!

Yet just today you've cross posted salmon farming industry propaganda marketing & P/R shlock articles.

How does a person become such a well trained puppy?

from your own link above:

the findings of Patagonia’s audits take on a different cast, a sign not of corporate hypocrisy, but of the near impossibility of treating workers well at every step in the production process, even when a company is genuine in its desire to do so.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:55:36 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »

Thank you for comparing me to something so cute and cuddly Ralph. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:46:26 PM by Fisherbob »

GordJ

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »

Fisher bob, salmon farming in B.C. started around 1975, and I was wondering if there is a complete list of the diseases that have been transferred to wild fish? I have been reading all the anti farm news for years and I am wondering how the farms haven’t been shut down with all the diseases that they have caused.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

I do not know Gord. My understanding is that smolts enter the net pens disease free. I would think the transfer is from wild to farmed. This is only my opinion. I would like to know if there is any scientific proof that farmed salmon have harmed wild salmon on the west coast of the states and Canada. I would think if there was any poof, the farms would be shut down.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:43:25 PM by Fisherbob »

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »

So if there is no proof of disease transmission from farmed fish in our waters why is there so much panic and outrage over the farms? I saw an ad today by an American outdoor clothing manufacturer that was anti farm and I started wondering, with the collapse of the salmon fishery, where we are supposed to get fish to eat? And isn’t it funny that salmon is one of the few wild sources of food? Almost everything else that we eat is farmed but not salmon which is funny because they can actually show transmission from cattle to wild animals of diseases like tuberculosis.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 09:33:08 PM »

I do not know Gord. My understanding is that smolts enter the net pens disease free. I would think the transfer is from wild to farmed. This is only my opinion. I would like to know if there is any scientific proof that farmed salmon have harmed wild salmon on the west coast of the states and Canada. I would think if there was any poof, the farms would be shut down.

To say  smolts enter the net pens disease free is false.

Smolts transferred to open ocean net pens have not been tested to see if they are disease free so it is not known if they are disease free or not or what diseases they may have when transferred to open ocean net pens.

Recent court rulings have directed they must be tested:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/court-quashes-government-policy-not-to-test-baby-farmed-salmon-for-disease

I would think if there was any poof, the farms would be shut down.

they are being shut down:

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/liberals-pledge-to-phase-out-open-net-aquaculture-by-2025-1.23963827

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/fish-farms-in-broughton-archipelago-to-be-phased-out-by-2023-1.23537659
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:37:56 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/funders-of-hype-against-salmon-farmers

90% of the BC salmon farming industry is owned by 3 Norwegian Corporations:

Marine Harvest: Total assets = 40.2 billion USD (2015)
Cermaq: Total assets = 15.42 billion USD(2016)
Grieg Seafoods: Total assets  = 960 million USD (Oct 2019)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:20:23 PM by Fisherbob »

GordJ

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 10:14:29 PM »

90% of the BC salmon farming industry is owned by 3 Norwegian Corporations:

Marine Harvest: Total assets = 40.2 billion USD (2015)
Cermaq: Total assets = 15.42 billion USD(2016)
Grieg Seafoods: Total assets  = 960 million USD (Oct 2019)
You make it sound like a bad thing. Ford, GM, Toyota, Microsoft, Apple, Interfor—- the list of foreign owned employers is pretty long. Why is having a Norwegian company own a fish farm different than buying food at Costco? They’re both foreign owners with local employees.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 06:27:28 AM »

You make it sound like a bad thing. Ford, GM, Toyota, Microsoft, Apple, Interfor—- the list of foreign owned employers is pretty long. Why is having a Norwegian company own a fish farm different than buying food at Costco? They’re both foreign owners with local employees.
Gord, you have this nasty habit of making sense. If Ralph says fish farms are bad, surely they must be because, well, Ralph is always right.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 06:33:25 AM »

Exactly Gord. It amazes me that a few people hate some foreign companies coming to Canada that promotes employment on one hand, and on the other hand they listen to foreign funded environmental rhetoric that wants to take employment away from us.
http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/sites/default/files/Follow%20the%20money%20feature.pdf
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:35:52 AM by Fisherbob »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »

There was no 'good' or 'bad' stated. It  is a concrete objectve fact offered as counterpoint to Fisherbob's Krause link.

The rest offered by yourself and FB are subjective are not facts as I demonstrated. Some of it is phrased in a deliberately misleading fashion.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:32:53 AM by RalphH »