Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draconian Fisheries Closures  (Read 66608 times)

TNAngler

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

no the quota system recognizes that since FNs have 1st priority after conservation needs there will be years were FNs take the bulk or even all the fish harvested.  in years of higher abundance when the other 2 sectors get to take fish the FN % will drop to a much lower level. On average the FN allocation will run 30% or more though keep in mind they take fewer fish in years they take a high %.

If 100% of the quota does not meet their needs, they run a deficit that will be made up in future years.  So FN takes all of the fish in low years but it is not enough so when we get to higher abundance years, they have to be pretty darn good before the percentage isn't 100%.  We aren't seeing those anymore.  Bye bye non-FN fishery.  May it RIP.

spoiler

« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »

here's a few numbers for everyone to ponder.....
current population of BC is 5,020,302
current aboriginal population of BC is around 200,000
that represents less than 4% of our population.
anyone see a problem with 4% of our population dictating our salmon fishery?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »

Not all BC FNs either have a say in how the salmon fishery is run or are entitled to take salmon or receive it through the band fishery administration.

for decades the commercial sector had the major 'say'. the last few years employment in harvesting for all fisheries has been around 5,000, processing 3,000 or less.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2019, 07:04:29 AM »

It's a good point. I know a few people in two bands in the area ( family lives on rez in North Van ) that dont eat Salmon at all. Trust me when I say that there are MANY bands along the Fraser that are from from broke and starving. It's a front for those bands. Salmon is just an extra  source of income.

You sure about that? Judging by his physique I would say Ken Malloway lives off a strict diet of sockeye and wild nuts and berries 😶

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »

You sure about that? Judging by his physique I would say Ken Malloway lives off a strict diet of sockeye and wild nuts and berries 😶

LOL!!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »

Unfortunately due to mechanical difficulties (damn front differential) I was unable to attend today's scheduled meeting with Conservative MP Calkins (Federal Standing Committee on Fisheries) & Staff.

However two of our Directors did make it there.They both suggested the discussions were very positive, and that Blaine was both attentive and supportive.They also noted that he still requires some additional education regarding fisheries matters in BC, but was quick to grasp what they laid out in that regard for him.

I believe we both have an ally in MP Calkins. I will be following up directly with him in the next couple of days as a consequence. Although it was disappointing MP Doherty could not make this trip, his schedule at this point simply precluded that. I will be following up with Doherty in the next few days as well.

Overall the impression was that there is genuine concern, and a willingness to work with both the recreational and commercial troll sector in moving forward. Hell of a different impression than Wilkinson and the lieberals have left us with.

On the related matter, the so-called Impact Study has been settled - frankly it does not exist. I will be following up on that issue as it is a rather serious offense of lying to a government committee by Department of Fisheries and Oceans Paul Gillis, Director General, Strategic Policy.

Cheers, Nog

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »

Of course they are all attentive and interested lol... They all want to be elected.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

Of course they are all attentive and interested lol... They all want to be elected.

Yep. And the other side acts exactly like it wants to be defeated.
Something I (among many) are aiming to accommodate.  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »

The fishing restrictions imposed by the federal Fisheries Department this spring has already had a devastating effect on businesses, according to a survey conducted by the Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/fish-closure-in-port-renfrew-has-endangered-more-than-40-per-cent-of-businesses/

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »

I called them and they confirmed they are indeed Fraser River chinooks.
Long Liner Seafood at Granville Island still selling fresh "Fraser River Chinook" at $50 per pound, as of Sat Jun 22/2019. Same price tag in the fish case as in the May 11/2019 post earlier in this thread. Did anyone better educated on commercial fisheries than me ever figure out how they're legally buying and selling them?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2019, 10:54:04 PM »

Long Liner Seafood at Granville Island still selling fresh "Fraser River Chinook" at $50 per pound, as of Sat Jun 22/2019. Same price tag in the fish case as in the May 11/2019 post earlier in this thread. Did anyone better educated on commercial fisheries than me ever figure out how they're legally buying and selling them?

They are from the Albion test fishery 

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

avid angler

« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »

Wildmanyeah is right. They have a contract with the Albion for the first 100 fish I believe

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »

A little slow out of the gate, but finally a report of some nature:

https://rachelblaney.ndp.ca/chinook-public-fishery-report

Unfortunately the Minister and his government could not care any less.    :(

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »

There are three segments of Jill Bennett's CKNW show that pertain to this matter:

Jason Benelli speaking in regard to the development of the situation, and the impacts on the recreational sector:

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cknw/?fbclid=IwAR1RrCxMqkzWGjLNphHt913hvyPVuHeQwdvRDyrI-4MYHUiMt5k96Cwu3kc

Jason Tonelli - July 6, 8:00 am, 15:20 time stamp

Minster Wilkinson's response wherein he publicly and on record LIES about the FN openings in the Fraser - simply said there have been none. DFO's own website indicates 94 in river FN gillnet openings since the restrictions were imposed (representing an effort of 587 gillnet days).
In typical politico diversion, he also refuses to answer several of the pointed questions, and deflects to other topics (just like his boss).

https://globalnews.ca/pages/audio-vault-cknw/?fbclid=IwAR1RrCxMqkzWGjLNphHt913hvyPVuHeQwdvRDyrI-4MYHUiMt5k96Cwu3kc

Wilkinson's Response: July 7, 7:00 am, 06:00 time stamp

Finally an open call-in session on the same topic:

Call / write in: July 7, 8:00 am, 33:20 time stamp

WELL Worth a listen if this subject is of interest.

Nog