Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nice!  (Read 29526 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Nice!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »

Just another tempest in a tea pot, stirred by two anti salmon farmers, Nova :D  Too bad that's all they have to further their cause.  My guess is this will forgotten quickly.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »

Wow.  can't honestly believe that people think corporate sponsorship in youth sports trumps providing youth with a chance to partake in a league.  I don't care if it is house or rep, the only person this hurts is the players.

I was 12 when my coach in baseball left me off the lineup by accident.  The other team complained and I had to sit out.  Yes this was competitive ball, but I wanted to play, not sit and watch.  It is not like it was a championship game in provincials either.  It was a round robin game in a spring league tournament.

That was 9 years ago.  What I learned from that incident is that people easily lose sight of the major reason why sport leagues exist, and thats for the youth who get the chance to play the sport because of it.  What reading the recent string of responses is, thats been cemented.  People are getting their knickers in a twist because a youth disagrees with the sponsor of the league, so what.  Work around it and try to get the best option sorted.  The main factor here is politics are getting involved in youth sports, but you guys are argueing about fish farms again.

Politics have no place in youth sports, as the only losers are the players.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »

I agree with clark.  Nickers all in a knot at the expense of the players and I would only blame the mother for grandstanding her daughter to further her interests, although it would seem that the daughter is willing to participate in this process.  Most people would make a choice, not make a stink and leave or stay and suck it up for the team, both choices show integrity imho. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

GordJ

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »

Wow.  can't honestly believe that people think corporate sponsorship in youth sports trumps providing youth with a chance to partake in a league.  I don't care if it is house or rep, the only person this hurts is the players.

I was 12 when my coach in baseball left me off the lineup by accident.  The other team complained and I had to sit out.  Yes this was competitive ball, but I wanted to play, not sit and watch.  It is not like it was a championship game in provincials either.  It was a round robin game in a spring league tournament.

That was 9 years ago.  What I learned from that incident is that people easily lose sight of the major reason why sport leagues exist, and thats for the youth who get the chance to play the sport because of it.  What reading the recent string of responses is, thats been cemented.  People are getting their knickers in a twist because a youth disagrees with the sponsor of the league, so what.  Work around it and try to get the best option sorted.  The main factor here is politics are getting involved in youth sports, but you guys are argueing about fish farms again.

Funny that you say that politics has no place in sports as you chastise an organization that agrees with you.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »

Funny that you say that politics has no place in sports as you chastise an organization that agrees with you.
Umm excuse me?  Explain how the organization agrees with me.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »

I agree with you also – politics have no place in youth sports.  That’s why the Reeds should stop this vendetta and concentrate on soccer.  As for arguing about fish farms again I know I haven’t because it’s not relevant here.  The sponsor could be a candy store or a firearm manufacturer.  If anyone is bringing in the fish farm thing here it’s Alexandra Morton supporters on her Facebook page and the Reeds themselves.  With this situation, you are wrong about corporate sponsorship in youth sports trumping youth from participating.  Get your facts straight.  Freyja is not being trumped by anyone.  She is able to play soccer – no one is preventing her from playing.  She can play for her present team, another team, in another league or another sport.  She and her mother are the authors of their own misfortune.  Again, like most amateur sport associations there are codes of conduct that all participants and their parents are supposed to follow.  Here is some responsible reporting on the issue:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2297729/fish-farm-at-centre-of-dispute-between-comox-teen-and-her-soccer-team/

Here is an important piece in that news article:

The chair of Riptide’s steering committee says the social media posts violated their code of conduct.
The code states “off field activities such as negative comments in social networks, texts, emails, websites blogs, correspondence, bullying, gossip, misinformation, intimidation or any other such activity as related to soccer and the Riptide/Storm program is subject to discipline whether directed at an individual participant, team or impacting the good of the game. Concerns should be brought forward to the coaching staff first and to the steering committee, secondly, if a concern has not been addressed. Violations of parent conduct will be dealt with using the UISA three strike policy. More serious offences meriting discipline in accordance with BCSA policies and procedures may result in extended suspension from all BCSA-organized soccer.”

As for players getting hurt, well it’s happening now.  The team is now suspended.  Special thanks goes out to Annisa Reed and her daughter for  not considering the other players on the team and instead merely thinking of their own self interests – which is about politics and not soccer.  It seems like the Reed’s beliefs trump the rights of the other youth on the team.  Pure selfishness.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-soccer-club-suspended-1.3289999

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »

Well Dave, it seems that there's a few more comments and more interest than you thought....... ;) Good on Willie!
Steve, if you're that naive to believe that Marine Harvest had nothing to do with this, reconsider the Saskatchewan ocean front property I was telling you about. Holocaust deniers verses a young girl's opinion on phish pharms. I'm still laughing at you for that weak and, well, pathetic defence. (See Marine Harvest's response about this issue)Too funny, you just can't make that stuff up.

Actually it was you that made the comparison between the Reeds and Nazi sympathizers.  I know it’s because you are a little upset that I found flaws in your Freedom of Expression argument.  Sorry, I was just trying to help.  I am glad you are able to laugh as you seem to have a great deal of aggression on these forums.  Was the “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” image supposed to show a different side of you?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 06:34:50 AM »

Sorry, but you don’t understand what that part of the constitution was intended for.  That part of the charter is not carte blanche for an individual to say and do as they wish.  As the link says below – it is not absolute.  Two of the most notable cases were Ernst Zundel and James Keegstra who were charged for promoting hatred against Jewish people.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20181.0
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/just/06.html

Um, Steve - read that part of your quote where you bring up Keegstra and Zundel in reference. At the very least , you should own your "statements" or comparisons and not try to paint me with your natty brush.

"Actually it was you that made the comparison between the Reeds and Nazi sympathizers.  I know it’s because you are a little upset that I found flaws in your Freedom of Expression argument.(self explanatory)  Sorry, I was just trying to help.  I am glad you are able to laugh as you seem to have a great deal of aggression on these forums. (And you're a choirboy by compaison?) Was the “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” image supposed to show a different side of you?" Nope. Just had to accentuate how ridiculous your Keegsta - Zundel  bafflegab was. It was hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.I doubt you intended to be anything but serious, but you can be pretty funny.

http://

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »

Well I hope Mommy takes a close look at willie's money.  Surely Willies not complaining about his income source why would he.  Take a look at the owner of his team.  Speed trading American Self made billionaire Vincent Viola.  I suspect according to mommy's standards that there would be a lot of unacceptable funds from such a source.  Of course they will say that it is strictly a fish farm thing but I don't believe it for one moment. 

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 05:15:03 PM »

Key words in the the decision to kick that kid off the team:

after receiving feedback from teammates, their families and volunteers.

:-[ Oh gees nova those evil players, parents and volunteers.... :-[ 

Some how I suspect nova can and will not see the logic there.  Oh well.

Insert: Demands for public enquiry>>>>HERE<<<<.  Just wait for it, you know thats next.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:18:26 PM by aquapaloosa »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »

"140 happy families and one crying activist."

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »

Um, Steve - read that part of your quote where you bring up Keegstra and Zundel in reference. At the very least , you should own your "statements" or comparisons and not try to paint me with your natty brush.

"Actually it was you that made the comparison between the Reeds and Nazi sympathizers.  I know it’s because you are a little upset that I found flaws in your Freedom of Expression argument.(self explanatory)  Sorry, I was just trying to help.  I am glad you are able to laugh as you seem to have a great deal of aggression on these forums. (And you're a choirboy by compaison?) Was the “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” image supposed to show a different side of you?" Nope. Just had to accentuate how ridiculous your Keegsta - Zundel  bafflegab was. It was hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.I doubt you intended to be anything but serious, but you can be pretty funny.
Oh boy...lol. It was brought up as an example of how Chapter 1 is not absolute and a licence to say what you want. That's what I own. What is hilarious is your ignorance of this when it doesn't have to be.  You just needed to read up on it a bit more. Don't be in such a hurry to hit "Post".  You took my comments out of context (nothing new...lol) and started suggesting that I was comparing the Reeds with Nazi sympathizers. I knew when I wrote it that you were going to do it, but it felt it was important for people to be informed of past case history regarding past charter challenges in court as well more familiar examples where the Freedom of Expression is not absolute like internet forums and amateur sport associations. Automatically, many started saying that Freyja Charter of Rights were being violated, but in reality they were not. You should know by now that when you post crap like that you should be prepared to be challenged on it.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »

when you post crap like that you should be prepared to be challenged on it.

Exactly why I challenged your comparison - it was ridiculous.
One of the members of my rugby club teaches law at UBC- and his opinion is that indeed this is an exercise in control and could be challenged in court. Now I never professed to be a legal expert, but what my friend says makes sense- the contract of the soccer association can't circumvent the constitution. He helped me in the past to collect money owed to my company by a strata council that claimed their "rules" circumvented the strata act. Their "rules" didn't and I collected what was due to me. Simply put, the family was expressing an opinion - which is their legal right. The actions taken by the soccer club could be subject to a legal challenge as a charter violation.Simply put, you can't make up rules that violate the charter of rights or other legislation, like it or not. Maybe I should get these 2 parties together....... ;)  But please do regale us with your legal expertise Steve. :o

BTW - Good on Freyja for speaking up and her moral fortitude. This is exactly the type of young person that will become a future leader and not a sheep.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:43:59 AM by Novabonker »
http://