Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nice!  (Read 29506 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Nice!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »

"A club news release said the decision was "collective" and based on feedback from players, families and volunteers."

So much for a majority vote.  Is it your idea for mommy to take the kids, families, volunteers and league to court NB?  LOL
 Perhaps now the kids can get on with having fun while mommy and daughter continue on with their little crusade. If anything, mommy got free publicity on her T-shirt business.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:10:21 PM by Fisherbob »

GordJ

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »

It wasn't that long ago that you were threatening legal action over something said on the Internet and now you are a free speech crusader. What a reversal. You are a real hero.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Exactly why I challenged your comparison - it was ridiculous.
One of the members of my rugby club teaches law at UBC- and his opinion is that indeed this is an exercise in control and could be challenged in court. Now I never professed to be a legal expert, but what my friend says makes sense- the contract of the soccer association can't circumvent the constitution. He helped me in the past to collect money owed to my company by a strata council that claimed their "rules" circumvented the strata act. Their "rules" didn't and I collected what was due to me. Simply put, the family was expressing an opinion - which is their legal right. The actions taken by the soccer club could be subject to a legal challenge as a charter violation.Simply put, you can't make up rules that violate the charter of rights or other legislation, like it or not. Maybe I should get these 2 parties together....... ;)  But please do regale us with your legal expertise Steve. :o

BTW - Good on Freyja for speaking up and her moral fortitude. This is exactly the type of young person that will become a future leader and not a sheep.

LMAO! You were the one doing the comparing. I was providing an example which is relevant because it was a challenge to the charter that was denied in court. You forgot that the charter is not absolute.  Your lawyer friend should know that - you should know that...lol.  Go challenge this in court by all means.  Your lawyer friend should have advised you the cost going to court to fight this vs. the simpler solution by just going to a different team with a different sponsor.  The association tried to meet the Reeds halfway by saying that Freyja didn't have to wear any branding that was associated with Marine Harvest.  Instead, the Reeds have decided to take all the players on the team down this dismal path.  They don't want Marine Harvest as sponsor - it's got nothing to do with branding.

It seems like parents of the other players, volunteers and coaches have spoken up against this selfishness.  Where do their rights enter this or is it all about the Reed's getting their way to rid the team of Marine Harvest?  Oh...that's right you don't want to touch that one...sorry.  You don't think a court would take in consideration how this is impacting the association and the other players?  Do you think a court would not take in consideration the comments on social media about the association, the sponsor and other parents that they don't agree with?  So many do-gooders criticizing the soccer association, but not very many opening their pockets to sponsor ALL these players.

So when this forum censors members or kicks them off for breaking the rules are they circumventing the constitution? Why don't we all just start saying whatever we want?  Where is your Freedom of Expression?  Is this board controlling all of us too much?  You're hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:04:42 PM by shuswapsteve »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »

"A club news release said the decision was "collective" and based on feedback from players, families and volunteers."

So much for a majority vote.  Is it your idea for mommy to take the kids, families, volunteers and league to court NB?  LOL
 Perhaps now the kids can get on with having fun while mommy and daughter continue on with their little crusade. If anything, mommy got free publicity on her T-shirt business.

Going to court isn't cheap.  Finding an equitable solution which addressing the original concern which was wearing the branding and participating in events that involve the sponsor is.  Does everyone get their way - maybe not but at least the kids can play soccer instead of having all this political stuff to deal with.  The lame excuse from the Reeds was that going to another team involved a little better than an hour drive. So, it was deemed more appropriate to impact all the other players, volunteers and coaches.  Apparently their rights don't count.

However, the Reeds wanted the sponsor kicked off the team - that what it was really about. The branding was just a distraction because Anissa has no problem putting her daughter in shirts that show her brand. Freyja continued playing on the team despite taking full advantage of the resources provided by the sponsor.  If the sponsor was Browning, Esso or GlaxoSmithKline. Annisa Reed wouldn't have an issue with "branding".

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »

It wasn't that long ago that you were threatening legal action over something said on the Internet and now you are a free speech crusader. What a reversal. You are a real hero.

I remember now. It involved comments made by Bob awhile back that NB thought were "off base". However, apparently you are safe Bob, according to the comments above so far.  Can't circumvent the constitution. All is good.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

I found the comment below from this story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-teen-soccer-1.3295474

I believe it sums things up very well....

The headline is not supported by the text of this story. Through the time this story has been in the press, the company sponsor has not taken any action against this girl, the team, or the league. The league has kept true to it's rules regarding player expectations and behaviour, resulting in this.

Copied and pasted from the above article........""The club says it made the decision based on repeated breaches of its code of conduct and after receiving feedback from teammates, their families and volunteers.""

As much as she and her mom might try to make it otherwise, this is to maintain a league, sponsorships and teams that will benefit far far more than a single child with a sense of misplaced entitlement.

Now maybe her friends can get on with their game and she can get on with her protests.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »

I remember now. It involved comments made by Bob awhile back that NB thought were "off base". However, apparently you are safe Bob, according to the comments above so far.  Can't circumvent the constitution. All is good.

Thanks Steve. I think he was maybe attempting the old crusader muzzle tactic back then LOL :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:11:52 PM by Fisherbob »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »

Some comments from the Morton’s Facebook page:

It is also about being kicked off the team, the injustice of salmon farms notwithstanding. An athlete's freedom of expression in voicing injustice is an extremely important principle and I expect that it would be upheld under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It is also a very troubling message to send to someone who is not yet an adult. Save the wild salmon for a world that honours fairness and Justice.

So, for example, if a participant and their parents don’t agree with a referee in an amateur sport league like hockey (or even soccer) and start verbally abusing the referee during a game and/or a campaign to have him/her removed by creating a Facebook page dedicated to that then that is ok?  I mean the participant and their parents in this case could be voicing the “injustice” about being kicked out of a game for some call that they didn’t agree with or because the referee has done something else in his/her past that they don’t like.  Should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms uphold that behaviour?  Should the association uphold their code of conduct and show support for that referee or just let themselves and the referee be slagged in social media by this participant and their parents?  What does this say to the other players who adhere to the code of conduct?  Would you want to participate in an amateur sport league as a coach, participant, player, volunteer or sponsor where you could be open to harassment and bullying from other participants and their parents in such a way?

I cant' help but wonder if there's a connection between the company and someone on the club's Board of Directors.....

Actually it's a pretty even split, but I have no doubt the "yes" vote has been organized by Marine (Harvest).

Cue the conspiracy theories….lol.  I noticed that Morton removed a conspiracy theory from her Facebook page which she tried to link the contracts between the association and its sponsors to something more devious.  Not sure why she did that.  Can’t circumvent the constitution, I am told.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:53:17 PM by shuswapsteve »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »

salmonrook

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

If you look at the motives for Marine Harvest looking to sponsor a soccer association where they do business you have question the reasoning for the sponsorship.Clearly trying to repair their image as a multinational conglomerate looking to further their business through this public relations play.
  When they get called on this " wolf in sheeps clothing "corporate image polishing move by a 14 year old girl , they have to hide behind the soccer assoc.
 I say good for the girl, its got nothing to do with the assoc policies, the assoc. is now stifled into not looking like hypocrites if maybe some other people within the assoc. or members of the  soccer team  agree with fish farming or not.
 They are certainly bound by the fact they are funded in part by Marine Harvest, a clear case of corporate bullying really .
 Its to bad that this politicized to the point that the girl has to play elsewhere, when in fact,the girl would rather play close to home with her friends.
  Maybe the soccer assoc. should have looked further into a less controversial sponsor ,if possible.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 06:18:09 AM »

Well thank you - I appreciate your ability to see the difference between someone putting out baldfaced lies to assault one's character and integrity, and someone's legal right to an opinion.It's also nice to have legal council to explain the difference. Few can tell the contrast, but it's there.

Side step to your hearts content Steve- you brought that up, not me. You own it and judging by your defense of the comment, maybe you feel it was a bit rash.

But do carry on.
http://

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 06:42:01 AM »

Check out the reaction/angst to this issue on SportsfishingBC; it's worth the read.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum/sport-fishing-bc-forums/conservation-fishery-politics-and-management/639779-ok-i-ve-had-it

Thanks Dave - Found a pearl!
"Stephen Hall, Marine Harvest Canada Senior Management team as processing director... is also Head Coach for this soccer team" - Now a little research shows he coaches under 14 boys, (http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/sports/329193871.html) and this:
https://twitter.com/Norm_Farrell/status/658874147871678468

Now while it may or may not have any bearing on what happened, the optics aren't particularly good.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:57:45 AM by Novabonker »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 07:51:49 AM »

Well thank you - I appreciate your ability to see the difference between someone putting out baldfaced lies to assault one's character and integrity, and someone's legal right to an opinion.It's also nice to have legal council to explain the difference. Few can tell the contrast, but it's there.

Side step to your hearts content Steve- you brought that up, not me. You own it and judging by your defense of the comment, maybe you feel it was a bit rash.

But do carry on.

Hypocrite...lol.  How's the lawsuit going against Bob? Do keep us up to date ok?  ;D

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »

Hypocrite...lol.  How's the lawsuit going against Bob? Do keep us up to date ok?  ;D

Reduced to name calling Steve? Sad.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 08:03:23 AM »

Thanks Dave - Found a pearl!
"Stephen Hall, Marine Harvest Canada Senior Management team as processing director... is also Head Coach for this soccer team"

Now while it may or may not have any bearing on what happened, the optics aren't particularly good.

On schedule as usually with the conspiracy theories..... For you it doesn't matter if it has bearing on what happened or not just as long as you and other critics can manufacture some sort of connection to slag someone you don't know. Of course no connection to something underhanded is being implied here...lol.  Coaches at this level are volunteering their time.  Critics are really reaching for the stars now.  It is sad to see this turn into a witch hunt by those that agree with the Reeds. Shame on you, NB.