Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Confidential  (Read 40560 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Salmon Confidential
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »

A must watch...

http://salmonconfidential.ca

Spread the word, get it out there!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon Confidential
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »

Great film.....  worthwhile taking the time to see it!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »

A very slick and beautifully filmed documentary that I'm sure will do well (meaning make some money) with the conspiracy theorists and members of the flat earth society ;D  It was convenient for Morton that filmmaker Twyla Roscovich neglected to mention a few things, however ...   that Morton and her collaborators predicted the extinction of Broughton pink salmon due to sea lice; the fact that a record 26 million sockeye returned to the Fraser in 2010; that despite migrating far away from salmon farms, Harrison sockeye do indeed experience high rates of pre spawning mortality's (PSM) and finally, that Fraser sockeye have been experiencing PSM long before salmon farms started up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »

A very slick and beautifully filmed documentary that I'm sure will do well (meaning make some money) with the conspiracy theorists and members of the flat earth society ;D  It was convenient for Morton that filmmaker Twyla Roscovich neglected to mention a few things, however ...   that Morton and her collaborators predicted the extinction of Broughton pink salmon due to sea lice; the fact that a record 26 million sockeye returned to the Fraser in 2010; that despite migrating far away from salmon farms, Harrison sockeye do indeed experience high rates of pre spawning mortality's (PSM) and finally, that Fraser sockeye have been experiencing PSM long before salmon farms started up.
I wonder if Aquapaloosa, Abby, Bass and the others will put together their film to show their side of things. Looking forward to it as I am sure will others. ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »

I wonder if Aquapaloosa, Abby, Bass and the others will put together their film to show their side of things. Looking forward to it as I am sure will others. ;D ;D

I trust they won't leave out the dying ISA infected salmon being processed and put on the grocery shelves and some footage of the unsuspecting consumer buying them......
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

I doubt we could top that video.  That was a masterpiece of misrepresentations.  I was thoroughly entertained throughout the whole thing.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »

I doubt we could top that video.  That was a masterpiece of misrepresentations.  I was thoroughly entertained throughout the whole thing.

The feedlot boys are all singing from the same songbook.....  seems to be the only song they know.   ;D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »

Hello pot, meet kettle.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »

I admit the following is not like a carefully edited video which portrays Ms Morton’s version of events and outcomes of the Cohen Commission, but I think it's pretty good.  Too bad Ms Morton (and apparently our politicians now) does not seem to like it very much.

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/FinalReport/

Jody Eriksson (“field researcher”) was a pretty interesting fellow. I love this quote from him:

“I am not a vet, but I can tell something is wrong with that fish”

Apparently, when Jody sees white-looking gills in a salmon carcass he is instantly suspicious of diseases (must be European viruses).  I had no idea that a salmon carcass which could have been dead for more than than a few days usually retains red and pink coloured gills right up to decomposition.  In fact, any spot, blemish, wound, parasite or soft area on a salmon carcass according to Jody is immediately suspicious.  Do you think he is implying that the fish must have some European virus like ISA?  Somehow he does not know what he is doing or what he is looking for, but that does not prevent Jody from coming to some instant conclusions.  I will be interested in the results and conclusions from Jody’s field research.

Jody is not finished yet.  Apparently, the small white cysts in the flesh of another salmon carcass are also highly suspicious.  Now, Jody could do the boring task of taking some samples of these cysts as well as take some pictures and then take them to an actual fish pathologist in order to see if his suspicions have some scientific merit, but that is not great for a movie like this.  After all, Jody is a “Field Researcher” and his expert opinion is being relied upon.

For further resources, Jody could have checked out Technical Report #1 from the Cohen Commission website:   http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/TR/Project1-Report.pdf#zoom=100

He might even try checking out photos like this:  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Henneguya_zschokkei.jpg

I would not automatically assume that it was suspicious and must be related to some disease before I did a little investigating.  I could be wrong, but it may be Henneguya salminicola.  If I was in doubt and did not have experience with fish pathogens I would take a sample, photos and take them to a recognized professional who deals with fish pathology.    When I think about it now, I actually did do just that.  I was even provided a brief explanation on the pathogen and how common it was. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:23:13 PM by shuswapsteve »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »

I admit the following is not like a carefully edited video which portrays Ms Morton’s version of events and outcomes of the Cohen Commission, but I think it's pretty good.  Too bad Ms Morton (and apparently our politicians now) does not seem to like it very much.

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/FinalReport/

Jody Eriksson (“field researcher”) was a pretty interesting fellow. I love this quote from him:

“I am not a vet, but I can tell something is wrong with that fish”

Apparently, when Jody sees white-looking gills in a salmon carcass he is instantly suspicious of diseases (must be European viruses).  I had no idea that a salmon carcass which could have been dead for more than than a few days usually retains red and pink coloured gills right up to decomposition.  In fact, any spot, blemish, wound, parasite or soft area on a salmon carcass according to Jody is immediately suspicious.  Do you think he is implying that the fish must have some European virus like ISA?  Somehow he does not know what he is doing or what he is looking for, but that does not prevent Jody from coming to some instant conclusions.  I will be interested in the results and conclusions from Jody’s field research.

Jody is not finished yet.  Apparently, the small white cysts in the flesh of another salmon carcass are also highly suspicious.  Now, Jody could do the boring task of taking some samples of these cysts as well as take some pictures and then take them to an actual fish pathologist in order to see if his suspicions have some scientific merit, but that is not great for a movie like this.  After all, Jody is a “Field Researcher” and his expert opinion is being relied upon.

For further resources, Jody could have checked out Technical Report #1 from the Cohen Commission website:   http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/TR/Project1-Report.pdf#zoom=100

He might even try checking out photos like this:  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Henneguya_zschokkei.jpg

I would not automatically assume that it was suspicious and must be related to some disease before I did a little investigating.  I could be wrong, but it may be Henneguya salminicola.  If I was in doubt and did not have experience with fish pathogens I would take a sample, photos and take them to a recognized professional who deals with fish pathology.    When I think about it now, I actually did do just that.  I was even provided a brief explanation on the pathogen and how common it was.
All fine and good but you must admit with all the FOC cut backs and muzzling now in affect of government scientists and officials how will we every get the truth from your side of things? Not going to happen I hate to have to say,very sad situation. If they now find problems they are not allowed to say any thing and if they dared to do so they would lose their job. I know that has happened over the gravel issue on the Fraser River be it provincial.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

We need to make a lot more noise, I had no idea it was this bad. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »

We need to make a lot more noise, I had no idea it was this bad.
This is why the film was made to make more people aware of what is actually going on as so much is being muzzled this days by government.

This is a bit old but something we need to be more aware of these days.

http://niagaraatlarge.com/2012/07/06/harpers-war-on-environment-takes-aim-on-research/

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

All fine and good but you must admit with all the FOC cut backs and muzzling now in affect of government scientists and officials how will we every get the truth from your side of things? Not going to happen I hate to have to say,very sad situation. If they now find problems they are not allowed to say any thing and if they dared to do so they would lose their job. I know that has happened over the gravel issue on the Fraser River be it provincial.

I can agree with you to a point, but I do not believe we get closer to any truth when some folks speculate purely by visual observations and automatically imply that something is suspicious.  The video basically leads the public to believe that if they see the things Mr. Eriksson is observing then they should assume some foreign disease or virus (i.e. ISAV or PRV) is the cause of death. I also did not see much about the other factors discussed in the Cohen Final Report.  The video just glazed over everything else and was all about aquaculture.  Why didn't the film talk about other aspects of Dr. Miller's testimony?  It basically concentrated on a few things she said and deleted the rest.  The film did its own bit of muzzling by editing peoples' testimony to make their case.  That is a sad situation also.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »

I am starting to wonder about Dr. Morton.
   http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/salmon-confidential-exposed-%E2%80%93-comment-interest
  Some very good arguments.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »

Now its time to start banging the table harder and louder.
http://salmonconfidential.com/2013/03/11/harrison-sockeye-salmon-aids-and-other-fibs/