Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Confidential  (Read 40581 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon Confidential
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

You need to look at what motivates people to write what they do. Feedlots will say and do whatever is necessary to continue generating profits by placing their cesspools in our ocean. Morton's sole motivation is to protect the wild salmon. The income she earns as a result could be labeled as poverty level.

I have donated to Dr. Morton's cause witch makes me fell like I am helping the cause of saving our salmon. I have not received any tax receipts. I was told however that the money goes to educating the public. I think there is no way Dr. Morton will say and do what ever it takes to continue generating profits. Dr. Morton is the most honest person I know.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

What a lot of nonsense! Unless people are walking by her and tucking bills into her pockets, every organization including fish and game clubs and advocacy groups are required to do their own accounting. Since 911 the financial reporting guidelines have become very strict in order to detect funding of terrorist organizations.

You and Abby can't be that naive to believe the nonsense you post....  :o  on the other hand maybe you are.....

The feedlot industry has such a hate on for Morton, that probably this very minute they are trying to dig up dirt on her that they can use in their "PR campaigns". If they had the tiniest bit of information on her financial dealings that could be used to discredit her, they would have used it long ago. As a result they are smart enough to avoid making statements like you've made, which are slanderous and would likely land them in court.

Heck even the government finds her campaign to save wild salmon conflicts with their goal of increasing feedlots in the oceans and would discredit her if they could. They would have all the info they needed if in fact there was any evidence of financial indiscretion on her part. They certainly moved Staniford out the country quickly when they were able to.

Morton is not only passionate about wild salmon, she is not going to do anything as stupid as what you and others are suggesting. My sense is that personal financial gain is something she doesn't even consider.

Blah blah blah blah blah...........

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »

Thats positive thinking Fisherbob. :) I doubt she needs to rip people off in an attempt to save salmon.

The pro farm group are expierencing Mortonization. Like an acid flashback, leaving them parinoid. Craving the soothing affects from the chemicals in farmed salmon. :o
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »

Thats positive thinking Fisherbob. :) I doubt she needs to rip people off in an attempt to save salmon.
The pro farm group are expierencing Mortonization.

Thank you Troutbreath. Every thing that Dr. Morton predicted has come to be true. I am sure we can get more donations her way if we bang the table louder and make more noise. And AF is right. I should not be reading any of the feedlot news. It gave me to much to think a out.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »

Thank you Troutbreath. Every thing that Dr. Morton predicted has come to be true. I am sure we can get more donations her way if we bang the table louder and make more noise. And AF is right. I should not be reading any of the feedlot news. It gave me to much to think a out.
Fisherbob, as far as I can tell you are the first person to admit they have donated money to Morton; although I don't agree I do admire your admission.
As for your statement regarding all her predictions having come true, perhaps her most famous and probably the beginning of her credibility downfall was the one regarding the extinction of Broughton pink salmon.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »

And AF is right. I should not be reading any of the feedlot news. It gave me to much to think a out.

Doesn't your opinion on this subject warrant some thought? In fact, how can you form a valid opinion if you don't look at the information both sides offer and think about it?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

To me it sounds like he did. I don't think it was thoughtless on Fisherbobs behalf.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »

That's not a criticism of Bob; that was a comment on AF's idea that you shouldn't look at the information on both sides as a basis for forming an opinion.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:21:45 PM by absolon »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »

I have donated to Dr. Morton's cause witch makes me fell like I am helping the cause of saving our salmon. I have not received any tax receipts. I was told however that the money goes to educating the public. I think there is no way Dr. Morton will say and do what ever it takes to continue generating profits. Dr. Morton is the most honest person I know.

Educating the public?  Would you call what Jody Eriksson was doing as educating the public?  Do you think it is reasonable to be suspicious of every spot, wound, and parasite on a salmon carcass on the spawning grounds?  Are white coloured gills indicative of some suspicious European virus or do the gills on a salmon carcass natually turn from red/pink to white the longer the carcass is exposed to the environment (air, water, sun).  Could there be a freshwater fungus on the gills that creates that fuzzy, white appearance - something that can happen the longer the fish is dead?  What do you think, Bob?

Is Ms Morton really educating you about Harrison River Sockeye when she does not tell you that even they are not immune from high prespawn mortality?  Ever been to the Harrison River in August and September?  Did you ever wonder why Ms Morton has not mentioned anything about any Harrison Sockeye sample results considering that she had Chinook, Coho and Chum carcasses from that river tested for ISAV?  What would that mean if Harrison Sockeye had tested positive for ISAV?  Check out her latest website to see how non-transparent she is with this (http://deptwildsalmon.org/results/wild/).

Is Ms Morton really educating the public when she keeps saying that the CFIA audited the Atlantic Veterinary College lab, but the facts say otherwise?  Don't take my word for it.  If you don't believe me you can contact the OIE as they were the one that created the press release stating that they conducted the audit.  Do you think the OIE is not telling the truth, Bob?
http://www.oie.int/for-the-media/press-releases/detail/article/information-on-oie-reference-laboratories/

Is Annisa Reed educating the public when she shows pictures of deformaties on farmed salmon but fails to state that deformaties are not necessarily an indication that the fish is not fit for human consumption?  She also does not say that even stocked freshwater fish that anglers fish for and eat can have deformaties also.  Are you going to stop eating stocked Rainbow Trout and Eastern Brook Trout?  Do think it might be a better idea to talk to an actual fish biologist or a Fish Culturalist from a fish hatchery about this stuff than Annisa?  What do you think, Bob?

Do you think the public is being educated when piscine reovirus (PRV) is being implicated by Ms Morton as the reason for enroute loss of Fraser River Sockeye when there is zero evidence to suggest that PRV impacts to the extent of causing "heart attacks" in adult salmon.  If she is implying HSMI with migrating, adult Fraser Sockeye, did you know that HSMI is a disease that primarily affects younger fish and its timing has been well described and documented?  http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v99/n1/p7-12/ (I noticed that a fish farm critic on another board did not read the whole article - omitting the distribution of PRV from presmolts to slaughter.)

Did you know that HSMI has never been found on BC fish farms?  Has she provided any evidence of HSMI in adult Fraser Sockeye?  Did you know that PRV has been found in healthy and unhealthy fish?  Did you know that Ms Morton’s finding of PRV in healthy market sized fish is good evidence that PRV is very common in Atlantic salmon?  Actually is it ubiquitous in Atlantic salmon.  More importantly, if Ms Morton was really going to be educating you about enroute loss through the Fraser River do you think it would be reasonable to talk about the 12 years of research on environmental stressors done by Scott Hinch and his group?  Do you think it would be reasonable to talk about the impact of water temperatures and water discharge in regards to enroute loss?  How about how they interact with pathogens - even endemic ones?  What does Ms Morton tell you about Mission and how accurate (or not) it is in some years?  If people are really interested in being educated about enroute loss and known, documented stressors then start here: http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/TR/Project9-Report.pdf#zoom=100

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:17:37 PM by shuswapsteve »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

A little more on honesty.

This is from a post made yesterday by Morton at another site, my bolding added:

Justice Cohen's opinion in recommendation #18 is that all salmon farms be removed from the Discovery Islands unless DFO can show the salmon feedlots have LESS than minimal impact.

This is Justice Cohen's recommendation #18, again my bolding added:

If at any time between now and September 30, 2020, the minister of fisheries and oceans determines that net-pen salmon farms in the Discovery Islands (fish health sub-zone 3-2) pose more than a minimal risk of serious harm to the health of migrating Fraser River sockeye salmon, he or she should promptly order that those salmon farms cease operations.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:39 AM »

A little more on honesty.

This is from a post made yesterday by Morton at another site, my bolding added:

This is Justice Cohen's recommendation #18, again my bolding added:

Is that the best you can find to critique? Definitely a sign of desperation or maybe you just have too much free time.....   ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »

Being a Mortonite, I can understand why you would have difficulty understanding the difference between the truth and Morton's version of the truth.

banx

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »

it makes you wonder when the feedlot groups will have the epiphany necessary to realize that what they are involved in is just wrong.

it takes a conscious choice to realize that who you work for has no real concern for you or the environment.  The unfortunate part of all this is that there are generally good people gainfully employed by the feedlots.  Until their own employees either quit, or demand change nothing will really happen.  It's unfortunate that such highly educated and respectable members of our society are choosing to ignore the lessons norway and chile are willing to teach us.

the fact that there are PR companies trying to convey a positive image for feedlots tells you something is a miss.  you don't need to tell me your $hhht doesn't stink if it doesn't stink.

I just hope that in 20 years I can fish for wild salmon with my daughter.  and only having hope, makes me worry.

not blaming feedlots completely for the decimation of wild stocks obviously, but a contributing factor for sure, just as environment degredation is as huge one as well. Open pens are a variable in this equation that can be controlled.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:39:44 AM by banx »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »

Doesn't your opinion on this subject warrant some thought? In fact, how can you form a valid opinion if you don't look at the information both sides offer and think about it?

Yes Dave, after reading this, you may have a point.
http://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkpolitics/articles.html?read_full=12010&article=www.thinkscotland.org

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »

Good post Bob, obviously you are giving it some thought.