Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening  (Read 30547 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »

Well done working for and with them. We need more people like you to get involved with fishing and environmental groups as we can make a difference by at least trying rather than sitting on the sidelines.

Of course many people are busy with their jobs and with family which of course is very important. Howver donations to the groups like your are always welcome and every dollar is put to good use.

work2fish

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »

I've been fishing for over 25 years, and if I hadn't fished the T for the first time a few years ago I wouldn't have gotten involved with the SSBC back in 2008.

As such, I have to agree with Dimitri that closing the river - though well intentioned - is not the solution.  The river and it's fish need friends.  They need eyes on the water.  I believe that management should keep the Thompson open from Oct. 1st onwards until they decide that they need to close it... shotgun starts don't make any sense to me, and they can't be helpful for the fish.

And FYI - this is simply MY view, not necessarily that of the SSBC.
I'd have to agree, and I think the fish are stronger earlier in the year and better able to put up with any stress from C&R, though it is very minor.   Leave it open, and close it to protect them if they are not there in numbers, instead of opening it when they're all Joey Tomatoes and spilling eggs and milt.

I'm sure they would also get a better idea of the return numbers from anglers and surveys than you can by extrapolating a population of 500-1200 fish based on the 0-10 fish intercepted in net fisheries.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »

I'd have to agree, and I think the fish are stronger earlier in the year and better able to put up with any stress from C&R, though it is very minor.   Leave it open, and close it to protect them if they are not there in numbers, instead of opening it when they're all Joey Tomatoes and spilling eggs and milt.

I'm sure they would also get a better idea of the return numbers from anglers and surveys than you can by extrapolating a population of 500-1200 fish based on the 0-10 fish intercepted in net fisheries.
They do a creel survey each year, not sure if a report is made public.

work2fish

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »

They do a creel survey each year, not sure if a report is made public.
Only if it's open though?

quill

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »

Actually the water temps are higher earlier in year which results in higher mortality.

The river used to be open til closed but one year they tried to close it because of low returns and were met with stiff political opposition. Doubt anything has changed in this regard.

Creel surveys are about as useless as hail counts. Everybody now has a strong reason for non reporting.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

Only if it's open though?
Person out there now observing.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »

Actually the water temps are higher earlier in year which results in higher mortality.

The river used to be open til closed but one year they tried to close it because of low returns and were met with stiff political opposition. Doubt anything has changed in this regard.

Creel surveys are about as useless as hail counts. Everybody now has a strong reason for non reporting.
Maybe in some cases but on this river system I feel it is effective.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »

lets not forget that the Kingfisher rod and gun club has donated tens of thousands of dollars and many hours of work to preserve these fish................

and if some of these loud young keyboard jockeys would actually get out and do something , other than whine on the net, perhaps we would be better off.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »

lets not forget that the Kingfisher rod and gun club has donated tens of thousands of dollars and many hours of work to preserve these fish................

and if some of these loud young keyboard jockeys would actually get out and do something , other than whine on the net, perhaps we would be better off.

I'm with you on that. They just need to get a feel for putting their voice forward. Doesn't come easy for some people. :) I've always been OK with it. ::) Also have to renew my SSBC membership. :-\ And memberships for other organizations.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishinmansam

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »

Has anybody heard any recent news? I myself have not heard anything as of yet.

quill

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

Still closed. Albion numbers are not great at this point; similar to two years ago. My guess would be that the ministry will open the river after DFO has made a commitment regarding in-river chum fisheries. If there was a pool going I'd say open on Nov. 01.

;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:40:52 PM by quill »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

oct 28 th  ;) ;)

quill

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »

DFO just announced potential Fraser commercial and aboriginal openings for the week of 22nd.  >:(

28th is a Sunday Jim.  ???
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:45:55 PM by quill »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »

I'm with you on that. They just need to get a feel for putting their voice forward. Doesn't come easy for some people. :) I've always been OK with it. ::) Also have to renew my SSBC membership. :-\ And memberships for other organizations.

oct 28 th  ;) ;)

dead right Jim.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

kispiox

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »

Any word when Mr. Bison is going to make the next announcement??