Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening  (Read 30545 times)

joshhowat

Re: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »

Hmm that's a good idea pay me to fish the T every day is September and October and count fish. Dream job IMO
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

gilbey

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:58 PM »

Hmm that's a good idea pay me to fish the T every day is September and October and count fish. Dream job IMO

To late, when Rob quits we will let you know that the dream job is open, untill then "Dream On"

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

2 more have been caught this week, both in the Chinook test fishery, keep your fingers crossed.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »

Im hoping it stays closed. To pin cushion what litte remains in the name of "sport" is not very sporting at all.  >:(

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Without an opening there will be no fishing, without any fishing there will be no care for the river and its fish, without the care for the fish, more and more harm will come to them. Closing the river has no major positive effect on the stocks. Catch and release mortality is the smallest concern to these fish, the other factors out weigh mortality 100:1. The new generation of anglers coming up want and will want to have a chance to catch a fish of such status. They are the most aggressive and hardest fighting fish. They are physically superior to all other steelhead, and to loose the drive to want to save them because DFO & MOE said "no" is baffling and pathetic.
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 07:22:16 PM »

Without an opening there will be no fishing, without any fishing there will be no care for the river and its fish, without the care for the fish, more and more harm will come to them. Closing the river has no major positive effect on the stocks. Catch and release mortality is the smallest concern to these fish, the other factors out weigh mortality 100:1. The new generation of anglers coming up want and will want to have a chance to catch a fish of such status. They are the most aggressive and hardest fighting fish. They are physically superior to all other steelhead, and to loose the drive to want to save them because DFO & MOE said "no" is baffling and pathetic.
Yes!!!

4TheKids

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »

X2. And possilby fly fisihing only in certain areas.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

I agree with the idea that keeping interest alive to fish for them has done far more good than bad in recent years. The many stocks of fish that call the Thompson and tribs home hold a very dear place in many anglers hearts.
Of all the people I know that fish this river, very few head up there looking for numbers, it's much more about experiencing the high desert terrain, the grandiose nature of the surroundings and the quiet stretches of river very easily found in this vast watershed.

Heres to hoping someday we can tackle some of the major issues that affect interior salmon and steelhead.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »

Not enough returning fish to warrant an opening! These last few remaining fish should be allowed to spawn unmolested in thier home stream.You "sport" anglers are not doing the fish any favour by pin cushing them on thier final journey. These openings of late. reek of D.F.O and M.O.E bowing to angler pressure to fish and the town of Spences bridge to benefit for economical reasons. Keep it closed and the Steelhead society to keep up its good work in habitat restoration on the T.We dont need to fish for them to save them.The new generation of "anglers" are the hordes one sees lining the Fraser and Vedder flossing away.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

Not enough returning fish to warrant an opening! These last few remaining fish should be allowed to spawn unmolested in thier home stream.You "sport" anglers are not doing the fish any favour by pin cushing them on thier final journey. These openings of late. reek of D.F.O and M.O.E bowing to angler pressure to fish and the town of Spences bridge to benefit for economical reasons. Keep it closed and the Steelhead society to keep up its good work in habitat restoration on the T.We dont need to fish for them to save them.The new generation of "anglers" are the hordes one sees lining the Fraser and Vedder flossing away.

I would have to agree with you - yes, the Steelhead Society has and is doing some amazing habitat restoration work on the Thompson, and I commend them for their efforts without any question whatsoever.

But I don't think it is fair to generalize the new generation of anglers as flossers, as I would consider myself the 'new' generation, and I fish ethically and respectfully.

Having more eyes on the river can't be a bad thing, but instead of allowing these 'shotgun' openings, i think it should be open till closed so that the fish don't get hit so hard all at once; sure they will get hit hard as people will plan in advance to come up, but its better than the fish seeing nothing and then all of a sudden they get pummelled on opening day.

The truth is, more species than i am comfortable with are experiencing a downward trend across the board. This is due to several factors all beyond our control. Closing the sport fishery is not going to bring the Thompson back to the way it once was, period.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

There will be no one to join the board or directors or become a member of the steelhead society soon, if that is the mentality. The commercial chum opening on the south end of the island this fall didn't do the fish any good, neither did the extraction of water from all major spawning tributaries for watering fields, or the off shore interception, or the fraser river bottom bouncers, or the native nets, or etc... do you see my point. There is an estimate, that at one time, more than 35% of the fish returning from the ocean to the river didn't even make it there. Now the fact that the fish aren't even leaving the river as smolts is adding even greater stress on the stock. But your claiming to me that a barbless hook is raping and pillaging. I think your visions are a little crooked. It should not close, and be open october 1st, and if not enough fish show up then close it. These shot gun openings are brutal management. Last years return was actually better than the previous 3 years. FYI. The reason we go up there is for the fish, but its also for the comradery, the scenery, the river, the laughs, jokes, camp fires, beers at the log cabin, and fish tales from years past. Its not about who catches the most, or the biggest, its the fact that we all want to be up there, just to be there, to be able to say one day, we went, we fished, we had a great time. You can't fill your freezer with photos, that's what salmon are for, and if you think that's the mentality we all go up there for is to beat the hell out of the whole run because we're allowed to, you're wrong. And this whole gear vs fly, with bait being terrible for the fish, its a big scam to try and individualize the angler group that is allowed on the river. When really, you want as many people on the river as possible in order to have equally as many people caring about it. There were days when there were 30 guys stationed at lytton sun up to sun down. Its a shame that the fish aren't seen as a major revenue for the town on spences bridge, and that there is a specific angler group that puts them above all others.
Fish killer 101

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »

. The reason we go up there is for the fish, but its also for the comradery, the scenery, the river, the laughs, jokes, camp fires, beers at the log cabin, and fish tales from years past. Its not about who catches the most, or the biggest, its the fact that we all want to be up there, just to be there, to be able to say one day, we went, we fished, we had a great time. 
I agree,its all of that.Unfortunatly,theres not enough fish returning.That to me is the what is the most important. :'(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »

I agree,its all of that.Unfortunatly,theres not enough fish returning.That to me is the what is the most important. :'(
Hopefully Dennis you are writing some letters to the government agencies and are involved in some group like the Steelhead Society to address the problems that concern you.

I am sure they would welcome your support as it is hard at times to find committed volunteers that will give freely oftheir time to what they believe in.

I know that personally after being involved the last 30 plus years and still am with several environment and fishing groups.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »

I've been fishing for over 25 years, and if I hadn't fished the T for the first time a few years ago I wouldn't have gotten involved with the SSBC back in 2008.

As such, I have to agree with Dimitri that closing the river - though well intentioned - is not the solution.  The river and it's fish need friends.  They need eyes on the water.  I believe that management should keep the Thompson open from Oct. 1st onwards until they decide that they need to close it... shotgun starts don't make any sense to me, and they can't be helpful for the fish.

And FYI - this is simply MY view, not necessarily that of the SSBC.