Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening  (Read 30564 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Steelhead, Thompson River Opening
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

No decision yet on an opening for this year yet. A friend of mine who I talked to last week bwhile on a hunting fishing trip is having a meeting with the minister next week in Victoria and I hope to have a video interview with him a few days after, will keep you posted.

I know this topic usually creates a lot of discussion re "should be closed, should open, fly only and bait ban", go at it. ;D ;D

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Re: Steelhead, Thompson River Opening
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »

The combined test sets have already recorded 8 Steelhead in their nets, this is the number they usually use as good enough for an opening I believe. Add to that the 4 or 5 that I have personally heard of being killed by flossers  >:( and you have what looks like a decent return.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »

The combined test sets have already recorded 8 Steelhead in their nets, this is the number they usually use as good enough for an opening I believe. Add to that the 4 or 5 that I have personally heard of being killed by flossers  >:( and you have what looks like a decent return.

bahahaha that's awful... but pretty close to the truth.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »

I think it should be open yearly again because a river without friends is a river ignored. I know that the majority of the guys that head up there act like they own the place and enforce the sh** out of every person up there. Im hoping it opens so i can head up there a couple times to fish its famous waters and if im lucky to do battle with one of its fabled steelhead (on the fly of course)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »

I know that the majority of the guys that head up there act like they own the place and enforce the sh** out of every person up there.

Ya  ::) My father {passed on now} and I ran into one of "those guys" some years back. He starts talking to us like we're outcasts or something, I told him that I'd been fishing the Thompson River with my father ever since I was around 10 years old and that my dad had been fishing it since he was young too. He kept on so I told him if he continues his "BS Nonsense" that I'd give him a free ride to Alberta, by way of the end of my boot. >:(  :o My father got a kick outta that :D :D har har

Funny thing was, we were the only guys at the entire run {before he showed up} and were fishing completely within the regulations {both spey fishing at the time} but I guess he wanted to fish there so bad{you could tell he thought the run was his}and was trying to get us to pull the plug by using his blah blah blah on my dad and I.

Needless to say it didn't happen, and as it should be I ended up landing a nice fish right in front of him about 10 minutes later. After the release I turned and said "all yours preacherman" and we both left with s--t eatin grins on our faces while he looked stunned.  ;D ;D

There truly are some "legends in their own mind" up there, that's for sure, and most are nothing but idiots with an attitude that compare fancy fishing gear with one another. ::)

If it opens I'll probably go for a fish, and if it doesn't, I won't lose any sleep over it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:02:33 PM by Bently »

bue

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »

Where did you get 8 fish in the test fishery nets from? As far as I can see, the DFO web site is only reporting 3 steelhead in the chum nets, zero in the chinook nets..

FF

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

Leave it open through october. If no fish show up close it for the rest of the season.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »

Hope to have some further news on this in a week.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

Hope to have some further news on this in a week.

I was going to do a video today with Steve in Spences Bridge who had a meeting with the minister at the UMBC last week in Victoria but I had to come home as I got a deer yesterday on the first day of the hunt at Merritt so had to get it into the cool although it -4 there in the morning.

Sorry I could not get an update for you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:05:16 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

To: Distribution
From September 1 to date, 5 steelhead have been caught in the Albion test fisheries, all of which have been caught in the chum test fishery. None have been caught in the chinook test fishery (Figure 1).
Presently, the test fishing data suggest that there is a 15% chance of exceeding the abundance reference point of 1250 Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead. This reference abundance is identified in the 2012 Integrated Fisheries Management Plan for the management of Fraser River commercial chum fisheries. For the Thompson watershed alone, there is presently a 20% chance of exceeding the abundance reference point of 850, the reference point used to open or close the catch-and-release sport fishery.
At this point, the estimated abundance is lower than expected given the recent stock productivity patterns and trends. The estimate suggests that productivity is not improving as has been recently observed in some other BC steelhead stocks. The abundance estimate suggests that the 2012/13 return might be among the lowest ever observed. In the Thompson, the lowest spawner abundance observed to date is 500, observed in the spring of 2011. In the Chilcotin, the lowest spawner abundance observed to date is 140, observed in the spring of 2010 (Figures 2 & 3).
Sport fisheries on Interior Fraser steelhead were closed on October 1 and may open later in the month if the abundance forecast exceeds conservation limits.

Further updates will be provided as the season progresses.
Robert Bison
Fisheries Stock Assessment Biologist
Fish & Wildlife Branch
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:31:16 AM by chris gadsden »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

is it just me or is this total junk science???? All of these charts and graphs to make it seem scientific when in all reality if they gill net a couple more that will drive the projected numbers up and we will have an opening?? I know they do this every year but is striking me as particularly stupid this year ::)

quill

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

You work for DFO Hue?  ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

More junk science is the fact that the nets don't catch the 6-9 pounders well and from what I have seen in recent years, many more of the Thompson steelhead are of the small varietry.
Also why not include the Steelhead from the Sockeye gillnets, surely these are Thompson fish as well.

I believe we are up to 8 Steelhead from the Albion Chum and Chinook nets, at least thats what the witch doctor is reporting anyhow  ::).

That is the number that they have used to open in the past.

Just pay me to fish up there everyday of October and November and I'll let ya know how many are around  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:38:21 PM by BentRodsGuiding »
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca