Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River  (Read 45251 times)

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
Re: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »

Below I have posted the times and dates for the fishery we are talking about, maybe best to just avoid the river for a few days.

Dave, Vic,
I spoke with DFO and confirmed the FN fishery on the Vedder/Chilliwack River.  Below I have add the areas and times:

BEACH SEINES:
  Species: SOCKEYE SALMON (Oncorhynchus nerka)

Allowable Fishing Times: Start Date: 24-Jul-2012

End Date: 25-Jul-2012

Times: 08:00 - 17:00 daily

Details: Fishing is authorized by this licence during the following times:
Beach

Seines: 08:00hrs to 17:00hrs Daily Tuesday July 24, and Wednesday

July 25, 2012.

Area

Those waters of the Chilliwack River located downstream of the CN Rail Train Bridge

at Yarrow to the confluence of the Fraser River Mainstem .

DIP NETS:

Species: SOCKEYE SALMON (Oncorhynchus nerka)

Allowable Fishing Times: Start Date: 24-Jul-2012

End Date: 29-Jul-2012

Times: 07:00 - 19:00 daily

Details: Fishing is authorized by this licence during the following times:
Dip nets:

07:00hrs to 19:00hrs Daily from Tuesday July 24, until Sunday July 29,

Gear: Net, Dip

Additional Descriptions: Gear and Gear Identification: The following gear is
permitted: Dip Nets

Area

Those waters of the Chilliwack River located between the out let of Chilliwack Lake

downstream to the Vedder Crossing Bridge.

I have advised our Seasonal Policing members to make patrols of the area to provide a police presence.  DFO will also be out making patrols.  If you wish to advise your members of this fishery, that would go a long way to defuse any tensions.

oolichan2

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »

hey cartman, they never had seine nets 10000 yrs ago. And just because its a "codified right"  in the constitution does not mean that it is relevant today.  Look at the americans "right to bear arms", sure 236 years ago that was a good idea too but look at what thats done to their country now, IMO

You sure are right, but they did build fish fences to block off the whole river and pick out the fish they wanted. How hard to you think it would be to build a fence in the canal and pick through all the fish coming up river? 20 guys and a bunch of cedars could plug up the canal in a weekend.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »

You guys are blowing this out of the water a bit (no pun intended). Bottom line is the opening is happening whether we like it or not. I'm thankful for knowing this in advance so I can avoid any disappointment. I am not a resident of the chilliwack area so did not know about this door to door sales thing going on, but the best tool we have is to simply tell others not to buy from them (and obviously not buy from them ourselves). As others have said, the fisheries compliance officers are too busy to pursue charges that will get thrown out before they hit court anyways, and conservation is busy this time of year with bear calls... While calling the hotline and filling out the online forms isn't a bad thing, I think the most effective tool we have is to promote boycotting the unlawful sale of fish to others we know.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »

How hard to you think it would be to build a fence in the canal and pick through all the fish coming up river?
Virtually impossible; if it was doable it would have been done for management purposes years ago.

So, how many fish have been harvested?   Anyone even seen a sockeye taken by FN?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »

I saw them killing sockeye on the reserve over a week ago with set nets, didnt get a count but they had totes and bins with fish in them.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »

I spoke with DFO and confirmed the FN fishery on the Vedder/Chilliwack River.  

Is there a DFO Notice# for this fishery? I'm sorry bu I'm having a hard time believing that such a controversial opening can happen without any DFO notice. It is really 'fishy' :'(
Or maybe it is becoming the new normal that when it comes to the FN fishery, DFO can completely bypass all the regulatory needs and laws?? ??? And please don't get me wrong, I am not adding fuel to the flame here. I am just asking a simple question: Is there a DFO Notice# for this fishery?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:02:21 PM by RainbowMan »

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »

The Vedder/Chilliwack River sockeye were wiped out by overnetting and consequently closed in the late 1950's. The taxpayers of Canada have been funding the Seltzer Creek hatchery and the adjoining FN to bring back the sockeye. Now the netting starts again. Hopefully DFO has learned from their mistake and will closely monitor this fishery. Otherwise we will be caught in a vicious circle, benefiting only one group of people at the expense of the other.
The bright side? This may mean a sockey retention for the rest of us, with one single line and a barbless hook. Is this getting what you paid for? :o

oolichan2

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

Virtually impossible; if it was doable it would have been done for management purposes years ago.

I've hiked the whole Canal and there are lots of spots where you could block off the river and funnel fish. A weir is simply a fence. Are you saying that it would be impossible to build a 50 foot fence?

oolichan2

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

The Vedder/Chilliwack River sockeye were wiped out by overnetting and consequently closed in the late 1950's. The taxpayers of Canada have been funding the Seltzer Creek hatchery and the adjoining FN to bring back the sockeye. Now the netting starts again. Hopefully DFO has learned from their mistake and will closely monitor this fishery. Otherwise we will be caught in a vicious circle, benefiting only one group of people at the expense of the other.
The bright side? This may mean a sockey retention for the rest of us, with one single line and a barbless hook. Is this getting what you paid for? :o

Who exactly netted this run into closure? It wasn't the commercial boats in the Lower Fraser was it?

And if the bright side is a sport opening, god help us all.

buck

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:13 AM »

Dave, from what I'm hearing ( Wally Hall )they have not been successful seining in the lower river due to water levels. Dip netting has also been a bust. Some gill netting taking place on the reserve. Not sure how many fish have been taken but I"m sure we can get those figures from the on- site monitors.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »

I've hiked the whole Canal and there are lots of spots where you could block off the river and funnel fish. A weir is simply a fence. Are you saying that it would be impossible to build a 50 foot fence?

Of course a 50' fence could be installed in the canal at low water levels.  But for it to be of any value it should be able to count fish at all levels throughout the year, including freshet.  Can't see any government agency about to fund that.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »

Dave, from what I'm hearing ( Wally Hall )they have not been successful seining in the lower river due to water levels. Dip netting has also been a bust. Some gill netting taking place on the reserve. Not sure how many fish have been taken but I"m sure we can get those figures from the on- site monitors.

Thanks Buck, guess we expected that.  I'm told the DIDSON (electronic fish counter) is now up and running at the outlet.  Hope they have the cash to do a few flights as well.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:16 AM »

Is there a chance that they extend this fishery beyond this week?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

Is there a chance that they extend this fishery beyond this week?

My "guess" is without a doubt they can and will, 15K fish is 15K fish, I can't see them taking any less, once their on the system fishing I doubt that they would just up and quit for the sake of water levels etc etc, and I'm pretty sure DFO won't tell them they have to stop, I would imagine that would bring on quite the uproar.

I have yet to here if they are allowed to retain the Chinnook as by-catch, anyone fell like elaborating on this ? {that's if you know for sure, not just guessing}, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:11:44 PM by Bently »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »

All species other than sockeye salmon are required to be released. Due to the selective nature of this fishery, seine and dip nets are used.