Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River  (Read 45031 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

Cultus Lake sockeye are a fall run and won't be in the river for a couple of months

In general, that is correct but I have caught Caltus Sockeye in Vedder as early as the 1st week of August. My concern is how they want to make sure that the FN nets will not pull out the red springs in masses? Or is it going to be another allowable by-catch for the 'ceremonial and eatery purposes'??

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

no they aren't netting in the creek itself, they are set netting the slack eddies on the main stem vedder on reserve land. they used an excavator to block off the road at the pond so no one can go up there with a vehicle and see what there doing. Cultus fish probably wont be coming in until the end of august I would imagine
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »

The Carp- at the meetings I attended I asked the same question. FN had tradionally fished the Chilliwack system, it's been almost 25 years since the last time. The Vedder/Chilliwack system crosses over between native bands so each band has their own traditional fishing territory. You cant tell one band to fish another bands territory so unfortunately it is not that simple. Each band wants to fish their own traditional fishing territory and crossing over into others would only cause conflict between bands.

The good news is that there is lots of sockeye in the river and it won't take long to reach their quota of 15k,I don't think they will be fishing the most popular sportfishing locations either so there should not be too much conflict between user groups. If anyone does experience a conflict or abuse by FN please call me as I am the representative for recreational conflicts with FN. I can be reached at 604-671-3474 anytime.

The FN/Sporfishing working group has been working hard on this and we are hopeful that recreational anglers will respect FN rights to retain surplus fish in a time when sockeye numbers in other river sytems are very low. The reason for this fishery is to access surplus fish as this year there will be very limited fishing on the Fraser. 11 bands have applied to access surplus Chilliwack lake fish, they will be releasing all Cultus lake sockeye as most of them are marked.

If you have any questions or concerns you can e-mail me directly at sts@guidebc.com

Vic Carrao
STS Guiding

604-671-3474

buckjr

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

Regardless of how you look at this situation, this is a pretty brutal precedent to start. This is a foot in the door for the Natives fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder. It won't be long before they are asking to fish the fall species entering the river too. NOT GOOD!

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »

I hear what your saying and hope your wrong Buck, by the way just got back from another meeting and the last fishery for FN on the Vedder/Chilliwack was 1959.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

. This is a foot in the door for the Natives fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder. It won't be long before they are asking to fish the fall species entering the river too. NOT GOOD!

x2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »

In general, that is correct but I have caught Caltus Sockeye in Vedder as early as the 1st week of August...

Good call, I always forget to look at the sticker on the bottom
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »

Have to say I find it a little disturbing how there is so little fellowship amongst the bands. Sounds like everyone for themselves, take what you will. If some people need the fish this bad, why is there no sharing of this surplus bounty. There is an old saying, treat people like children and they will act like children. When will our government officials learn.

DRP79

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »

Who is going to be counting the fish they catch? I have a hard time believing that they will just say ok, thats our 15k fish, lets stop now. I was hoping that they may catch their limit before the weekend but I think that regardless of their limit, this will go all 6 days that its opened for.

buck

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »

Observed gill net strung out on river bar today. Informed DFO. Will see if it's back again tomorrow.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »

i was planning to go flyfish for trout this week at the vedder. does this mean that the bull, dolly, and rainbows will be effected aswell? is it likely that the trout will also get caught up in the nets and be hindered from going further upstream?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

Does anybody know how they set up the drift net at the vedder, is it across the river from bank to bank ?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

i was planning to go flyfish for trout this week at the vedder. does this mean that the bull, dolly, and rainbows will be effected aswell? is it likely that the trout will also get caught up in the nets and be hindered from going further upstream?

the fish that you mentioned are likely too small to be caught in the nets...Unless they are doing a beach seine then yes, maybe a bit

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »

The Carp- at the meetings I attended I asked the same question. FN had tradionally fished the Chilliwack system, it's been almost 25 years since the last time. The Vedder/Chilliwack system crosses over between native bands so each band has their own traditional fishing territory. You cant tell one band to fish another bands territory so unfortunately it is not that simple. Each band wants to fish their own traditional fishing territory and crossing over into others would only cause conflict between bands.

The good news is that there is lots of sockeye in the river and it won't take long to reach their quota of 15k,I don't think they will be fishing the most popular sportfishing locations either so there should not be too much conflict between user groups. If anyone does experience a conflict or abuse by FN please call me as I am the representative for recreational conflicts with FN. I can be reached at 604-671-3474 anytime.

The FN/Sporfishing working group has been working hard on this and we are hopeful that recreational anglers will respect FN rights to retain surplus fish in a time when sockeye numbers in other river sytems are very low. The reason for this fishery is to access surplus fish as this year there will be very limited fishing on the Fraser. 11 bands have applied to access surplus Chilliwack lake fish, they will be releasing all Cultus lake sockeye as most of them are marked.

If you have any questions or concerns you can e-mail me directly at sts@guidebc.com

Vic Carrao
STS Guiding

604-671-3474

Thank you for the insightful response, Vic.  A breath of fresh air amidst a tension-filled discussion.

Tex

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »

I'd add should tentions rise , calling Vic is fair enough but also call the police, it's their job to deescalate tention
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:17:21 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!