Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Slasher On The Loose--Vedder  (Read 39467 times)

Oilcruzer

Re: Tire Slasher On The Loose--Vedder
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 07:12:26 AM »

Decided to spend some TG time at home, but we took a drive through all ares and toured the hatchery.  The pockets of fishing are really filled with vehicles, and it made it clear that with all the vehicles, someone had to have seen something suspicious. 

I think the news should have jumped on this.  Trigger a few calls.  Now its probably too late.  People forget.

One thing for sure.  Posting a game camera isn't an option.  Too many areas.  Need people watching.  I'm keeping my camera handy now as I drive by.  If it looks suspicious, it probably is...

noobfisher

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »

A decent number of Canadians venture just south of the border to fish - especially for Bass.  Now, what if these Canadians were being targeted by vandals as well?   Come on people.  Who cares if some Americans come and fish here.  They're our friends and neighbors, and frankly people from WA state are a lot nicer and friendlier than people here in BC.  Would you prefer it if the Vedder was packed with newly immigrated Canadians who aren't even citizens and don't speak English?  

We go down to the U.S. and shop, get gas, thereby increasing prices near the border - and some Americans get annoyed.  But, they also need to feel thankful that we support their economy.  Visiting Americans help contribute to the local economy.  Believe me, not a lot of Americans have any interest in coming into Canada.  If it takes a Salmon run to get them to spend their money over here, then so be it.  We don't really have anything else to offer them, that they don't already have.

Wow, the ignorance never ceases to amaze me, not even citizens?  Guess what nobody who immigrates to Canada is automatically a Canadian citizen.    ::)  Your logic is you want Americans to fish up, here but don't want newly immigrants to Canada to fish the Vedder?  Good thing your ignorant racist views are the minority in this country.

noobfisher

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »

Wow, the ignorance never ceases to amaze me, not even citizens?  Guess what nobody who immigrates to Canada is automatically a Canadian citizen.    ::)  Your logic is you want Americans to fish up, here but don't want newly immigrants to Canada to fish the Vedder?  Good thing your ignorant racist views are the minority in this country.  I have no problem with Americans or new immigrants fishing, it's the racists that can stay home.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:56 PM »

I didn't fish on Saturday, but was up yesterday with my Dad.  On the way back across the border at Sumas, the border agent specifically asked about our tires and said that 25 US vehicles had their tires slashed on Saturday, and a few on Sunday as well.  I would gladly pay more for my BC Fishing license rather than fish Washington rivers.  Why?  Three reasons:

1. Access - most rivers down here are bordered almost exclusively by private property, so you either have to fish at a park packed with other fishermen or from a boat.  I don't own a boat.
2. Distance - I grew up on the border (Lynden), and the Vedder, Fraser and Chehalis were the best fishing within a reasonable drive.  The local river, the Nooksack, is prone to look like chocolate milk and is full of tribal nets (even for steelhead!).  The only salmon I have ever seen or caught in the Nooksack are pinks, and they were under 2 pounds.
3.  The people.  For all of the 20 years I have fished the Vedder, I have been impressed with how friendly fellow fishermen are and how willing they were to help me learn to fish right.  Camping on the Vedder and Chehalis were awesome experiences.  Even with a crappy exchange rate, I still enjoy shopping at Fred's and eating at restaurants in BC. 

I'm not so worried about my car being targeted that I would avoid the river, but I am starting to worry about whether this is the kind of place I want to bring my daughter to teach her to fish.  I don't know how many Americans are flossing on the Vedder, but I do know plenty of Americans who do it right - short floating, fly fishing, and using hardware. 

This is getting off-topic, but I wanted to mention what I noticed yesterday fishing near Vedder Crossing.  2/3 of the people there were "bottom bouncing", some with 2 foot leaders, and some clearly flossing with 4 foot + leaders.  I arrived, landed  by far the chromest fish of the day (that I saw) and immediately the people around me threw on floats and imitated my fishing style.  I'm afraid that by avoiding the flossing crowds, the experienced fishermen are doing the river a real disservice - if people see you having success they will imitate your success. 

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

I'll bite on this one, Chris.

While the US did contribute arms and equipment to the European war effort, most notably great quantities of trucks to the Sovier Union, after Germany invaded in 1941, they did not actually declare war on Germany until Dec 1941, after Pearl Harbour.  England, Canada and other countries entered the war in Sep 1939 following the German invasion of Poland.
The European war could not have been won without the US but the great question for historians is would they have entered the European war without Pearl Harbour?

for the record Britain made it's last debt payment to the US on Dec 29 2006 in full! Nothing was for free, the lend lease deal was rewritten in the early 50's after the US and Britain/France had a spat over the Suez. Although the US's contribution to the war effort was crucial to the ally success, they are deemed to be the only country that financially gained from it. That aside there cannot be a price put on the the human toll it took, that is immeasurable and sacred.
sorry for the rant!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »

Even with a crappy exchange rate, I still enjoy shopping at Fred's and eating at restaurants in BC
Crappy exchange rate? Last I checked the Yankee buck was worth more then our Loonie. :'(

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »

I don't know what you guys are talking about...crowds? What crowds?
My two buddies and I fished two awesome spots Saturday and Sunday - one on the mid river, one in the lower, and had both spots pretty much to ourselves.

Stop whining about KWB every time something like this happens. KWB and adjacent areas are the worst of the worst because they bring the worst of the worst of "anglers" to the river. The same holds true for the Tamihi and a couple more spots later in the season.
Fish there at your own risk.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »

Can I go fishing with you Milo? We found spots to ourselves, but not many fish were present in the area, haha!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:56 PM »

My two buddies and I fished two awesome spots Saturday and Sunday - one on the mid river, one in the lower, and had both spots pretty much to ourselves.

Stop whining about KWB every time something like this happens. KWB and adjacent areas are the worst of the worst because they bring the worst of the worst of "anglers" to the river. The same holds true for the Tamihi and a couple more spots later in the season.

i would rather hear people whine than over react and turn to vigilantism... i too, hate seeing people snagging and abusing unwanted fish, but to go as far as slashing tires...that's just plain criminal....and believe or not, some of the cars with slashed tires were parked at the crossing, thompson park, and cedars...No matter where you park, you're always at risk of being victimized.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »

seem to remember some bad blood on the vedder in the early eighties between yarrow and the wack guys.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

klamathking

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »

I happen to be an american living in washington  and have been fishing the vedder and fraser for 5 years now.  sometimes I stay with a canadian friend in chilliwack and sometimes I prefer the vedder campground.  the reasons I fish canada is the quality of some of the salmon,  the unbelievable landscapes,very very nice people,  very helpful.  unless your under the keith wilson bridge ;D.
Four years ago up at the boundry hole our vehicles were targeted with slashed tires and vulgarities towards americans scatched into our cars,  I figured in that instance it was just  a case of fishermen believing we had no right to their private boulders on the river.
Really in most cases I believe it is a drug/ meth users unemployeed and in need of quick income,  we have the same issues here in washington.
I pay 120.00 for a licence which usually yields a couple of springs,  a bunch of chums except for last year and a coho or two,  I like to think I am contributing to your economy and I know many of you get a kick out of some of us yankees as I do with some of you.One thing I know is there are some masterful fishermen in canada and I always seem to learn something new. I will be down this coming weekend and am looking forward to meeting some of you on the river.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »

Hey Milo we saw you guys on Sunday and yes you guys were pretty much all by yourselves. We were out all weekend long and every where we went we had the areas pretty much all to ourselves as well. We did not even have to go far off the beaten path either which was lucky for us as because of my back injury I am not able to walk much. We found alot of fish and were surprised not too see anyone fishing the runs.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

Would you prefer it if the Vedder was packed with newly immigrated Canadians who aren't even citizens and don't speak English?  

Are you a racist?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »

This thread is deterioating rapidly.
 As for American or whatever national, fishing the vedder or any other river? We would have too be the dumbest hammers in the sack to not realise the benifits to the local economies from the angling visitor. I'm sure glad our US friends are usually very welcoming.
You have a designed put and take fishery within driving distance of GVRD, what do we expect? my favourite spot happens to be a couple of hundred others as well, If you don't have some other spots in your head then perhaps your not as good as you think.
try pocket waters?