Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Altercation at Larfarge - Banana's speak out!  (Read 15618 times)

gcal

Altercation at Larfarge - Banana's speak out!
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »

First off let me say that I'm a Canadian-born Chinese.  Born and raised here.

I had an altercation this morning at Lake Lafarge, of all places.   I fish there for the stocked trout.   The lake was recently stocked so catching them is easy.  Everyone can catch them.   Nobody needs to be selfish or greedy.

A group of Chinese arrived and one of them dramatically crossed my line.   I mentioned how he should maintain line casting discipline.   He talked to me in Chinese.   Unfortunately, I don't speak Mandarin but I gestured and spoke to him in such a way that an idoit should know what I'm talking about.    I then lost a fish when our lines tangled.   I casted out.   He then cast again...  dramatically crossed my line once again!   I then had VERY harsh words for him.    Everyone knows English cuss words.

I recognized this fisherman from earlier this summer.  He was catching numerous carps (>10) of sizes as small as 3 inches!   Also, I once saw him fish with 2 rods.   I mentioned to him that he was breaking regulations and then he stopped  (smiling that he didn't understand me).   What a disgrace! 

I told him that he was an embarrasment to the Chinese community, and that he was giving us a "bad name".    He had a bunch of friends with him that remained silent throughout.   I think they were all taken aback that someone (especially of Asian descent) would complain about this guy's antics and selfishness.   

Anyways, after the verbal argument, I left.  I felt good that I spoke up.   If I left without saying anything, then it just perpetuates the "bad name" that some bad Asian fisherman deserve.

I am calling on all "banana's"  (Canadian-born Chinese) to speak out against these people.   As mentioned in another thread, Steal_mo_Head had problems, being Asian and we all want to help dispel the prejudice.

So banana's, and others, please speak out!   It will make you feel better and it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for letting me vet! 

doja

Re: Altercation at Larfarge - Banana's speak out!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »

Next time some one crosses your line just do the same to them. Over and over and over. ;D

Some people have to be "shown" the way. ;)

gcal

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »

Yeah, crossing his line, over and over.    :)   

No Kidding, he cast about 45 degrees to my line  (no accident).   Twice!   Just to get to his supposed "sweet spot".    C'mon, trout is everywhere at Lake Larfage right now.       

I told him that if he wanted to cast to that spot, then he should move over to that side, but he said in broken English "Yesterday 4 of us was here and we were casting that way".   I called B.S.   Nobody fishes that rudely and poorly (except this guy).   

If he wanted my spot, then he should have gotten there earlier than me.    I told him that once I catch my limit, (I had 3 already) then I'll leave.  I told him to be patient.    Common courtesy, man.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »

If they break the law, such as fishing two rods or keeping more than the limits, just report him. If we confront the individual, be careful there. There is always the chance of violence. This has happened at Lafarge a few years back. Crossing line resulted in a shouting match, which then became pushing and punching. Eventually one of the guys fell back and hit the concrete walkway with his head and he died later. What a tragedy.

Violaters or line crossers can be any one. He could be Chinese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Europeans or local whites etc. I have lived in Poco & fished Lafarge for 22 years. I have seen bad examples from all groups. Sometines line crossers have a bad casting skill. Sometimes, it is not intentional. They just can't control the cast as well as others. I have known people who just have trouble casting even after fishing a few years with me. It seems to relate to the motor skill of a person. I usually tell these folks to stay away from the crowded section. Obviously his other Chinese friends don't have this problem. I can understand your frustration because this guy's line crossing is not unintentional. Perhaps we don't even have to mention the nationality or ethnic background in a public forum, because this itself can cause stereotype about a particular nationality or ethnic group even we don't intend to (as you obviously try not to, by declaring your own ethnic background the same as this guy).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:22:26 PM by Steelhawk »

gcal

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

I know I should not get into a verbal spar with people.  But he was casting that way intentionally.  He acknowledged doing so...  he just didn't care.  And as I said, I witnessed his other past poor behavior.   I had to say something.   

Calling the report line is not very immediate or effective.    There are many times that I see illegal chumming at Lafarge.   Called it in.   Nothing happens.    Those guys/gals are likely not interested in supervising stocked lakes.

It's like you guys fishing the Vedder, and seeing all that s**t.     Very frustrating to see this coming to family-oriented stocked lakes.

I mentioned my race because I hate seeing my race being "targeted".   It's unfortunate.   I just want to do my part for my heritage and community.

mattyo

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »

Why do you use the term banana?? I know what it means but why use that word to describe Chinese Canadians??? To me this just promotes separation between races. Who cares what color you are.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »

Race is irrelevant. I've seen all types and sizes of people doing exactly what you described.

Nothat

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »

I am with you Gcal.  But I personally will choose to leave for a another quiet spot.  I don't let these people to ruin my joyful day of fishing. Besides, he had 4 men.   

"Banana" means yellow skin white heart.

gcal

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »

"Banana" is a term that I heard and used growing up.  I never saw it as being derogatory - only a description, but if anyone is offended, then I apologize for using the term.   

As I said, among me and my CC friends, we have never viewed it as derogatory.

My point is, that as part of the Asian community, we all have to do our part to remove stereotypes.   It's naive to assume that being "colour blind" is a reality or even a possibility.     

bluenoser

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »

I kind of agree with nothat.

Had what your talking about happen at Green Timbers one time while with my 8yr old daughter...can't remember what race they were...anyway we moved 50ft away from them after they crossed our lines a few times and continued our day without the hassel.

mattyo

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »

Hey nothat, can you describe what you mean by "white heart"? Not trying to troll here but just curious what that phrase means to you?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

How about "yellow on the outside, white on the inside".

I have heard Chinese people describe themselves this way (banana) - more in tune with western ways than with Chinese.

I would have grabbed his line and cut it when he cast over your line.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

I FlyFish, so........

If that were to happen to me (Many of you know me) I would bring my line in, Put on a nice big weighted fly and star casting side arm, guarantee the first time the fly nails him in the head, he would move!!!! Even if it did not hit him, hearing a fly whip by your head would make anyone think about moving!!

This (Unfortunately) happens EVERYWHERE, and by every race. it seems people were not taught ethics when they were growing up. I don't only mean on the water either, this kind of crap happens at the lake, Park, supermarket, and at work. I feel this is only going to get worse as well, with all the absentee parents that are too busy trying to make money that they think they don't have time to teach their kids respect and ethics!!!!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »

"dramatically crossed my line"
now thats funny.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »

First off let me say that I'm a Canadian-born Chinese.  Born and raised here.

I had an altercation this morning at Lake Lafarge, of all places.   I fish there for the stocked trout.   The lake was recently stocked so catching them is easy.  Everyone can catch them.   Nobody needs to be selfish or greedy.

A group of Chinese arrived and one of them dramatically crossed my line.   I mentioned how he should maintain line casting discipline.   He talked to me in Chinese.   Unfortunately, I don't speak Mandarin but I gestured and spoke to him in such a way that an idoit should know what I'm talking about.    I then lost a fish when our lines tangled.   I casted out.   He then cast again...  dramatically crossed my line once again!   I then had VERY harsh words for him.    Everyone knows English cuss words.

I recognized this fisherman from earlier this summer.  He was catching numerous carps (>10) of sizes as small as 3 inches!   Also, I once saw him fish with 2 rods.   I mentioned to him that he was breaking regulations and then he stopped  (smiling that he didn't understand me).   What a disgrace! 

I told him that he was an embarrasment to the Chinese community, and that he was giving us a "bad name".    He had a bunch of friends with him that remained silent throughout.   I think they were all taken aback that someone (especially of Asian descent) would complain about this guy's antics and selfishness.   

Anyways, after the verbal argument, I left.  I felt good that I spoke up.   If I left without saying anything, then it just perpetuates the "bad name" that some bad Asian fisherman deserve.

I am calling on all "banana's"  (Canadian-born Chinese) to speak out against these people.   As mentioned in another thread, Steal_mo_Head had problems, being Asian and we all want to help dispel the prejudice.

So banana's, and others, please speak out!   It will make you feel better and it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for letting me vet! 

Tell me about it!!!  I've decided that i'm ust going to go the dfo's on ppl now.  But i'll tell them first ;)... Don't need to waste my breath anymore.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!