Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do so many of you get so riled about the Vedder?  (Read 11493 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Why do so many of you get so riled about the Vedder?
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

Fishing is about having a good time.
Chill out.
Go seek stretches of river with few or no people.
Or go fish some other stream altogether.

As it is, most of us have duties and issues to deal with at work or at home.
Why make fishing another thing that will raise your blood pressure?

Fishing is supposed to be fun, but from most of the posts lately, it seems fishing the Vedder has become a challenge, a place to witness disgusting displays of lack of ethics and borderline immorality.

If so, why are you still fishing with the unruly crowds?  ???

Derp

• Tight lines!
Re: Why do so many of you get so riled about the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

because I can't usually get into a fist fight at home or at work
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

I agree my good buddy. All I read on this forum and a couple others is how bad it is, yet all these people complaining keep going back. I for one wont be fishing the Vedder until Steelhead season. Plenty of other places I know about to fish for coho where I dont have to deal with the crowds and BS.

BTW phone call coming tonight my friend.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

because I can't usually get into a fist fight at home or at work

Hasn't taking up recreational boxing crossed your mind?
You might even meet some pretty cool guys who share your passion for fist fighting. :)
Only morons get into fist fights on the flow.  ::)

Quote from: bbronswyk
BTW phone call coming tonight my friend.

Make sure to call me after 8 PM, Bry.
I'll be tutoring till late this evening.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »

Where else can you go and have a legitimate chance of bonking 4 coho?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

People are Sheeple-at least most of them are.

Show them a crowd and they'll rush to join.

Add to that a crippling lack of life experience and you have a recipe for disenchantment.

The fact is that Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live in and all most Canadians do is b!tch, b!tch, b!tch!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »

Fishing the Vedder is like going to a hockey game. You are always excited to go watch a game and if they win you leave in a great mood, if they have a terrible game you go home and bitch about it for a few days. But we still go to the games why? Because we love hockey.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »

Agree 100% that fishing should be about fun and I can actually say that I enjoy the crowds up to a certain level.  I find I learn at least as much from people around me as I do from this site and I enjoy interacting with people who share my enjoyment of this sport.  Still find it hard to see people deliberately abusing fish but I am getting used to it and I dončt bother fighting with people over it - its pretty obvious they will not pay attention anyway.

As for escaping the crowds, easy for you guys who have been fishing the Vedder for years.  I still don't know my way round there nearly well enough.   Tried getting there really early and away from the Lickman parking lot.  It turned out to be a real dud because I just struggled to find water more than a foot deep within half an hours walk away. It didn't take long for me to realize I had blown it because I could have just stuck by the deep pool right near the lot and likely done way better. [By the time I got back there the river was already overrun].

With the pressure of crowds, lack of knowledge of the river combined with the long drive out there, rushing out and exploring isn't the best option if there are potentially more promising, if not more crowded pools, right nearby.

I am not complaining just pointing out that rushing around exploring just to avoid crowds has sometimes been counter productive for me.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:03:36 PM by fishseeker »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

Agree 100% that fishing should be about fun and I can actually say that I enjoy the crowds up to a certain level.  I find I learn at least as much from people around me as I do from this site and I enjoy interacting with people who share my enjoyment of this sport.  Still find it hard to see people deliberately abusing fish but I am getting used to it and I dončt bother fighting with people over it - its pretty obvious they will not pay attention anyway.

As for escaping the crowds, easy for you guys who have been fishing the Vedder for years.  I still don't know my way round there nearly well enough.   Tried getting there really early and away from the Lickman parking lot.  It turned out to be a real dud because I just struggled to find water more than a foot deep within half an hours walk away. It didn't take long for me to realize I had blown it because I could have just stuck by the deep pool right near the lot and likely done way better. [By the time I got back there the river was already overrun].

With the pressure of crowds, lack of knowledge of the river combined with the long drive out there, rushing out and exploring isn't the best option if there are potentially more promising, if not more crowded pools, right nearby.

I am not complaining just pointing out that rushing around exploring just to avoid crowds has sometimes been counter productive for me.

We were all there like you at on point in our fishing lives. Dont feel bad. My advice is fish it hard during steelhead season. For one the crowds are not there, two in order to be successful  during steelhead season you need to cover lots of water so that means lots of walking.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bluesteele

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »

Yes everyone the Vedder is the only game in  town... ;D
If you want coho you have to fish the vedder it's the #1
river bar none . ;D ;D ;D   

mr.p

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »

There are several places to catch multiple coho during an outing.   Unfortunately they are all low low low. 
I think once we get this rain we're expecting, those in the know will not be fishing the Vedder.

I am not complaining just pointing out that rushing around exploring just to avoid crowds has sometimes been counter productive for me

I don't think exploring is ever counter productive.  Its extremely rewarding and educational. I have walked probably 90% of the fishable portion of the Vedder.  Some days I walked more than I fished.  I am very happy with my exploration.  I am able to get away from the crowds and I feel more confident.  I know my options and don't feel as though I am missing out on a better spot, etc.  Plus as you start adding spots to your circut it allows you to strategically fish those areas based on sun/shade.  I try to fish as much shaded water as possible, especially with these low and clear conditions.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »

Pin_Head, Amen to that!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

Great thread Milo!

Fishing is about more than just bringing a fish home. It's about being outdoors, seeing the changing seasons, the lifecycle of the salmon, etc, etc. I think we often are so focussed on catching a fish we forget to enjoy the experience.

I notice from the comments that the fishermen that don't seem to get riled with the Vedder do a lot of exploring and probably don't stand with the crowds of people.

As far as the lack of ethical fishermen, although there are some of them, most of the fishermen fishing "unethically" probably lack the experience to do the right thing. I'm not sure what's the best way to educate these folks but one at a time as we come in contact with them is probably the most practical.

As far as the truly unethical fishermen, keep phoning them in! With enough phone calls the fisheries officials will show more of a presence. Having more people out on the Vedder fishing is a good thing, as it draws more attention to our sport and that makes the politicians take note when they make decisions about the management of the resource.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »

We were all there like you at on point in our fishing lives. Dont feel bad. My advice is fish it hard during steelhead season. For one the crowds are not there, two in order to be successful  during steelhead season you need to cover lots of water so that means lots of walking.
Oh I am sure you all were and I don't feel bad because I am just addicted to getting out regardless of whether I catch anything. (..just a bit awkward when I take my wife with me.  She is kinda half interested in fishing but complains that we do more walking than fishing :))  I think your advice is very good and I had a go looking for steelhead one day last year - realized there were no t many easy holes just above Keith Wilson and I did not get anything.  The only way I can really do it is head out on my own or with someone equally determined - one has to be hard core about this I think.

And I agree with you mr.p that it is important to explore.  Just find that I sometimes focus so much on exploring I forget about the promising hole right in front of me just because I am worried it might get crowded later on.  (I usually arrive early before the rush).   These days I am learning to accept crowds and enjoy the benefits that can come from talking to fishermen next to me - I can pick up some real gems that way.  Even better they help me and I help them when I am doing well and the guy next to me isn't. [Only if I am asked because I don't ever want to appear like a know it all]

My take is it will take years before I am good enough or knowledgeable enough to explore successfully and I accept that.  Its what keep this sport interesting for me just like anything else that requires effort for reward.

Good thread by the way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:39:04 PM by fishseeker »

Frankey

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

Been living beside the vedder river for 30yrs, know every inch of her and will not fish her during salmon season ,gave that up many yrs ago when fishing a favorite spot untill word got out and they started sleeping on the bank the night before and by first light there was two lines of people one in front and one behind casting overtop of each other.You will see me going hard during steel season its still crowded but i know spots with very few anglers around.For those in the know waiting for rain ain't been that good there the last couple of yrs either, you know what im talking about.