Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do so many of you get so riled about the Vedder?  (Read 11377 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Why do so many of you get so riled about the Vedder?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »

Milo's pointing out that, if you choose to stand next to garbage, don't complain about the stench.

Pin_head brought up good points, which most of us already know about, but...

Repetitively bringing up the same thing you see on an online forum is not doing something about it, it's called venting. If you choose to discuss the issue, discuss it constructively with new thoughts that you can put forward to the group, otherwise, you'd just be degenerating a thread like these one:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21986.0

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22287.0

Be a problem solver, not a chronic whiner. Quite a few CWs on this forum right now, who we can do without.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »

Milo's pointing out that, if you choose to stand next to garbage, don't complain about the stench.

Thank you, Rodney. Couldn't have said it better.

For the record, I fish the Vedder more than most posters on this board. In years of fishing it, I have learned a few things that help me make the best out of my day (and no, Dion, bonking four hatchery cohos is not what makes a great day of fishing - you of all people should know better). But every day of exploring teaches me new things, more than I can learn fishing shoulder to shoulder in a busy honey hole.

First, and foremost, there is no need to set one's mind on one particular spot and deprive yourself of sleep only to be there before anybody else. My experience has taught me that most of the time someone else will beat you to the spot. That can be a real turnoff. And even if you are the first to get there, half an hour later it will get crowded. When that happens, it's time to move on.

I never know where I will start my fishing day. If it is an extremely busy day - a great combination of good weather, plenty of fish and so on, I will just drive along the river until I see an area (AREA - not one spot) with few or no cars parked along the road. Then I will flip a coin to decide whether I will explore upstream or downstream. As I work the area, I might reach a spot where a bunch of people are stationed - hogging a spot. As I work my way down or up, I may or may not decide to make a few casts. I'll do it when someone leaves their 'rock' to go chase a fish down the river or is taking a break or just tying up a new setup. Most of the time, I make my intentions clear and tell the person I will move on as soon as they want to fish 'their' spot again. Three to five casts is all you need to determine whether there are willing biters holding in there. After that it is just a waste of time.

It pays off to move - especially in the canal area. You wouldn't believe how many FANTASTIC spots are created daily  between two crowded spots - depending on the tides or the rain. Don't assume that where you see a bunch of guys there must be fish.

A case in point was on Sunday. Right at the confluence, there was the mother of all gong shows going on. I watched for a while, fished for a while and when I couldn't take the 'stench' anymore, I moved upstream. Not 100 yards upstream, there was a fantastic seam created by the upcoming tide. No one, and I mean, no one was fishing there, even though there were at least fifty people only a hundred yards downstream from me. In about half and hour, I hooked into more fish (zero pinks) than in three previous outings combined. Sure enough, after a while some people joined me, but the particular seam had already deteriorated (disappeared) with the rising water and the fish had spread all over the place.

I moved on, and was again rewarded with a find that I just can't believe had been there all these years. I hooked into 6 coho in half an hour, landing only one. All that within shouting distance of the crowds, yet only one person was fishing there at the time. He also hit numerous fish and landed most of them because he's simply a much better rod than I am. As we were leaving, he commented on how silly people are complaining about the crowds when all it takes is to move around a bit and read the water.

You know who you are as you read this forum regularly.
Good sharing the spot with you last Sunday. :)

Ah, the Vedder...As someone said, probably the best salmon fishing stream south of the Skeena, if you know where to look. ;)

Frankey

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »

Great post, just one thing about it i disagree with..moving into someones spot as they leave it fighting a fish..this is a no no...i for one would get peed off.If the dude is sitting there retying or resting then okay after asking, but never when he leaves to fight a fish because the bite may be on and your in dudes spot now hooking a fish.No not right.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »

Fishing is about having a good time.
Chill out.
Go seek stretches of river with few or no people.
Or go fish some other stream altogether.

As it is, most of us have duties and issues to deal with at work or at home.
Why make fishing another thing that will raise your blood pressure?

Fishing is supposed to be fun, but from most of the posts lately, it seems fishing the Vedder has become a challenge, a place to witness disgusting displays of lack of ethics and borderline immorality.

If so, why are you still fishing with the unruly crowds?  ???

That's funny coming from you. I've see you get super riled with other people  on chat forums.

Doesn't it apply the same as the vedder? Why don't you just walk away and not engage in debates online etc, milo.

To each his own, some care about the vedder and get upset with abuse/crowding just like you get upset with people who's opinions i've seen differ then yours and you get into it tooth and nail...(you know, on the other site but here as well)

Walking "away" on vedder is as easy for some as walking 'away" from internet arguments.

Next time someone posts something you totally disagree with we'll see if you can just walk "away" lol.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:52:21 AM by dennisK »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »

That's funny coming from you. I've see you get super riled with other people  on chat forums.

Walking "away" on vedder is as easy for some as walking 'away" from internet arguments.

Next time someone posts something you totally disagree with we'll see if you can just walk "away" lol.

Your analogy is like comparing apples and a piece of steak. The only similarity is you can eat them...  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »

Great post, just one thing about it i disagree with..moving into someones spot as they leave it fighting a fish..this is a no no...i for one would get peed off.If the dude is sitting there retying or resting then okay after asking, but never when he leaves to fight a fish because the bite may be on and your in dudes spot now hooking a fish.No not right.

Trust me, Frankey, that is never an issue. By the time the guy is back, I am out of his spot.
I know better.

Quote from: dennisK

Doesn't it apply the same as the vedder? Why don't you just walk away and not engage in debates online etc, milo.

You're funny, dennisK.  :)
I am all for healthy debates, but they have been few and far between in the last several months. Hence, I haven't posted much, both here and on the other forum I frequent. Trust me, I have learned to "walk away" from morons - both on the forum and on the river. I love and care too much for the Vedder to let the Octoberfest scum get the best of me. Negativity only brews more negativity.

My opening post and subsequent reply was only meant to nudge some newcomers in what I think is the right direction.
I never expected to snag an old moldy forum chum like you, though. ;)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

wow. whiners need to do more talk less.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

For the most part i agree but by putting your head in the sand does it not make the problem go away!Last time out i helped a couple of guys with the set up they were using and as soon as i explained it to them they were grateful and started hooking into fish not snagging fish.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »

Last time out i helped a couple of guys with the set up they were using and as soon as i explained it to them they were grateful and started hooking into fish not snagging fish.

I do that all the time. But that doesn't mean I need to grow roots at the meatholes and get upset about the lack of ethics displayed in such places.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »

Well actually Milo I have the jerk and rip technique at a few walk places as well,So it's not just the meathole's:)

Rybar

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »

Hey Milo, great post. I did fish next to you in the upper river last year. We both did well and you seemed like a very ethical fisherman. Hope to see you at that spot very soon again!

This post reminds of a friends father who fishes the Vedder. We were fishing a spot a few years back when two guys started argueing. So my friends father who was around 50 yrs old at the time yells out to them "if I wanted to hear any b****ing I would have stayed home" and everybody including the two guys argueing started to laugh. But it was a great point, why argue and complain? Even if there are annoying crowds. You are fishing on the river, quiet, no noise, very peaceful and above all you are NOT at work!!

Ryan
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:40:36 PM by Rybar »

UFC

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »

I agree with this totally. I fish the Veddar a few times a year, as I prefer to fish other rivers where I catch more coho (although you are not allowed to take home 4 in the other rivers). But when I do fish the Veddar, and get up at some ungodly hour to get a good spot, the last thing I want to see is someone take that spot when I've moved to land a fish. It's fine to find new water, but not water that someone else is actively fishing