Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 36422 times)

redside1

bass fishing
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

reading the new 2009-11 freshwater fishing regulations today and I see MoE is now making it illegal to fish for bass in many new locations. It seems that unless there is an ex sisting fishery it will be against the law to fish for bass in any lakes or streams that some one may plant them in in the future. Interesting way to deal with the problem of guys moving bass around to new lakes. Both regions 4 and 5 have this outlined .

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: bass fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »

Interesting. I look forward to reading the new regs. But for the record Fresh water regulations are on a changed and reprinted on a yearly basis, not bi-yearly. So the regs would be for 2009-2010

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:44:06 AM »

how are they gonna make it illegal, i don't get it.when fishing any body of water we never know what we're gonna get, we have an idea of what we're targeting but it's still a crapshoot??

My thoughts exactly because apart from topwater plugs everything a Bass will take a Trout will take too so who's to say what I'm targeting?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »

if you know any thing about law in B.C you will know you are guilty till proven innocent.

It will be your responsibilty to prove to the co/fo that you were not targeting bass on that water.....he will probably use words like "intent"

As per some hounding you will see more bass rerstrictions.

fish tracker

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »

Does any one know why they would try to restrict a fishery of an introduced species that threatens our native speices?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »

if you know any thing about law in B.C you will know you are guilty till proven innocent.

It will be your responsibilty to prove to the co/fo that you were not targeting bass on that water.....he will probably use words like "intent"

As per some hounding you will see more bass rerstrictions.
I understand what you mean Jim but I would love to see a CO in court trying to prove to the Judge what I was doing was unlawful-most of them aren't all that well educated and tying one into knots under oath would be all kinds of fun for a bombastic know-it-all prick like me. ::) 8)

Does any one know why they would try to restrict a fishery of an introduced species that threatens our native species?
It's politics-they have to be seen to be doing something so they dream up a Bee Ess load of regulations like this without thinking things through.

It's a response that's little short of idiocy by people who know nothing about Bass or Bass fishing.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

Dammit, that is annoying.  I just got a new pontoon boat specifically for this purpose!  ;D

redside1

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »

Interesting. I look forward to reading the new regs. But for the record Fresh water regulations are on a changed and reprinted on a yearly basis, not bi-yearly. So the regs would be for 2009-2010

The new regulations are printed for 2 years not 2009-2010 but 2009-2011 so you may wish to look a little closer at the printing on the cover, remember I have a copy of the new regulations and I am not assuming something like you are.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:42:02 PM by redside1 »

redside1

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »

how are they gonna make it illegal, i don't get it.when fishing any body of water we never know what we're gonna get, we have an idea of what we're targeting but it's still a crapshoot??
 ssabnik

there are many places with regulations that have open trout fisheries that are closed to Salmon fishing. Happens every year on the Birkenhead. On the Bella Coola there is a decent cutthroat trout fishery yet it has been closed to all steelhead fishing for 10 years or so. If MoE catches you targeting bass in locations that are closed they can or will charge you for illegally fishing
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:44:03 PM by redside1 »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »

. If MoE catches you targeting bass in locations that are closed they can or will charge you for illegally fishing
You're a bit behind the action here.

The exact same gear is used to target Bass as Trout-have you ever fished for Bass?

The first time I ever went to St Mary Lake on Saltspring Island I started dragging a plastic worm on the bottom (classic Bass tactic) and caught the second largest Cutthroat I've ever seen. :o

How can a CO prove in court I was targeting Bass-answer-HE CAN'T!!!!!

BC Sportfishing even did an article on using Crankbaits-in BC a lure widely believed to be a Bass bait-for Trout. 

Everyone needs something to look forward to and this latest dumb move is a treat for some people. ::) ;D ;)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »

The new regulations are printed for 2 years not 2009-2010 but 2009-2011 so you may wish to look a little closer at the printing on the cover, remember I have a copy of the new regulations and I am not assuming something like you are.

I'm glad someone is on the ball.

daver

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »

ouch, i think dion just got put in his place, good one redside.

redside1

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »

. If MoE catches you targeting bass in locations that are closed they can or will charge you for illegally fishing
You're a bit behind the action here.

The exact same gear is used to target Bass as Trout-have you ever fished for Bass?

The first time I ever went to St Mary Lake on Saltspring Island I started dragging a plastic worm on the bottom (classic Bass tactic) and caught the second largest Cutthroat I've ever seen. :o

How can a CO prove in court I was targeting Bass-answer-HE CAN'T!!!!!

BC Sportfishing even did an article on using Crankbaits-in BC a lure widely believed to be a Bass bait-for Trout. 

Everyone needs something to look forward to and this latest dumb move is a treat for some people. ::) ;D ;)

yes , I have fished bass caught some pretty nice ones too.
  I am not too far behind the action and may not be quite the legal expert that you are but, If the law was not enforceable if would not be in the regulations. The government legal department would not allow it to happen for one. Why do you think flossing or snagging is still allowed? MoE can not write up an enforceable law. Try bass fishing in one of the closed areas and lets see what happens. How about heading up to Beaver lake in region 5 and giving it a try. It is listed in the new regs as "Closed to bass fishing". Interesting to see what happens. The crank baits ( 7"-9" long lure) in the BC Outdoors articles are not something that most would use for bass in BC.  Anyways , give it a try , maybe your experience with a CO would be different. Remember when it comes to Co's writing out tickets , you are guilty until you prove your innocence in court because unless you show up to defend yourself the ticket stands.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:57:44 PM by redside1 »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »

......I may not be quite the legal expert that you are but[/quote]
Noted.

If the law was not enforceable if would not be in the regulations. The government legal department would not allow it to happen for one.
You sure don't know how laws work-laws are changed all the time because they are poorly worded and so cases get throw out of court-ever been to court and had something thrown out because of sloppy work by the enforcement agency or the prosecution?

Happens every day you know!

....Try bass fishing in one of the closed areas and lets see what happens. How about heading up to Beaver lake in region 5 and giving it a try. It is listed in the new regs as "Closed to bass fishing". Interesting to see what happens.....Remember when it comes to Co's writing out tickets , you are guilty until you prove your innocence in court because unless you show up to defend yourself the ticket stands.
Of course a person shows up to defend themself - WTH do you think I've been talking about?

Why would someone let themself be raked over the coals because of some poorly written law?

This all about people standing up for themselves and not letting clueless petty bureaucrats jerk them around.

The crank baits ( 7"-9" long lure) in the BC Outdoors articles are not something that most would use for bass in BC.
I doubt you've ever seen a Crankbait. ::)

I own dozens and none is longer than 4".

redside1

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »

The crank baits ( 7"-9" long lure) in the BC Outdoors articles are not something that most would use for bass in BC.
I doubt you've ever seen a Crankbait. ::)

I own dozens and none is longer than 4".

dozens huh?  I have probably purchased more crank baits (thousands) than you will ever see in your lifetime but that's really does not matter.   Just head out in a new Bass fishing closed area and give it a whirl. I just wonder who will win you or the CO. I am putting my money with the CO.