Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If given the chance to eat a farmed fish, or a naturally raised fish, which would you choose?

Naturally raised
- 46 (95.8%)
Farmed
- 2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would you eat a farmed fish?  (Read 15589 times)

Morty

Re: Would you eat a farmed fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »

I just did some web searches on farmed salmon and of course found lots of articles about the health hazzards, high levels of PCB's, imbalance of Omega-3 and omega-6...

So to be fair, I thought I'd search on "benefits of farmed salmon".  The best I could find were topics like "The benefits of farmed salmon outweight the risks".

OUTWEIGH THE RISKS - are they kidding me ???
With so much good food around, why would I eat any food with KNOWN RISKS??

Lets build up the wild stocks!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »

Just wanted to add a quick note about farmed salmon in restaurants.

I was in Cactus Club a few weeks ago and saw a reference to 'Oceanwise' salmon on the menu.
The info was vague so I asked the waiter and he said that it was farmed salmon.

I like Cactus Club but I definitely won't be ordering any salmon there.

The Oceanwise program is created by the Vancouver Aquarium and there are many more restaurants listed on their website:
http://www.vanaqua.org/oceanwise/

A few of them are:
Joe Fortes
The Boathouse (?!)
The Canary (another ?! - one of my favorite restaurants)
Bishops
The Salmon House

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »

I was in Cactus Club a few weeks ago and saw a reference to 'Oceanwise' salmon on the menu.

The Oceanwise program is created by the Vancouver Aquarium and there are many more restaurants listed on their website:

Could be the Waiter was just clueless-hey it happens. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »

A few of them are:
Joe Fortes
The Boathouse (?!)
The Canary (another ?! - one of my favorite restaurants)
Bishops
The Salmon House

There's a bit of a mix-up here. Restaurants that are in the Oceanwise program should not be avoided. The waiter most likely made a mistake. It is unlikely that Cactus Club serves farmed salmon, otherwise they wouldn't be in the program.

http://www.vanaqua.org/oceanwise/sustainable-seafood.html

Shrimp and prawns (such as tiger prawns) are typically farmed in coastal ponds that are created through the destruction of mangroves and wetland habitats and should be avoided. Open net pen finfish farms such as those used for Atlantic salmon also create major environmental concerns and should be avoided.

I also recall an episode of "Chef at Large" that featured fish dishes at Cactus Club and wild salmon was the ingredient.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »

Food for thought.
Here is a viable & sustainable alternate source of inland farmed salmon (http://www.slowfoodvancouver.com/index.php/AgassizTour/category/swift_aquaculture/)
that is approved by the Van. aquarium and the Ocean Wise Program (http://www.vanaqua.org/oceanwise/).
Peace
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »

Food for thought.
Here is a viable & sustainable alternate source of inland farmed salmon (http://www.slowfoodvancouver.com/index.php/AgassizTour/category/swift_aquaculture/)
that is approved by the Van. aquarium and the Ocean Wise Program (http://www.vanaqua.org/oceanwise/).
Peace
Thanks for that-last I heard he had shut down for a while to retool.

I know a number of restaurants here in town carried his product at one time maybe they still do if he's back in biz.

EDIT-I see Bruce Swift is indeed back in the game as per this G&M article http://tinyurl.com/6hddq4
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:51:48 PM by Sam Salmon »

meatfisherman

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »

Well hopefully after the next provincial election when the Liberals get booted to the curb the NPD will get alot tougher on fish farms or just completly shut them down. Heck they export most of there crap out of the country anyways and there is probable only a few countries left where they have not destroyed the wild runs of their fish.
i don't think they should shut down fish farms completely just make sure that they aren't harming the native salmon
if there weren't fish farms then there would only be fishing for the wild salmon which would thin their numbers even more

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »

Well hopefully after the next provincial election when the Liberals get booted to the curb the NPD will get alot tougher on fish farms or just completly shut them down. Heck they export most of there crap out of the country anyways and there is probable only a few countries left where they have not destroyed the wild runs of their fish.

Your kidding right??? NDP wont get rid of fish farms. It makes too much money for the province. They are not going anywhere under any government.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Morty

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 11:39:37 PM »

Here's an brief history of what's happened with salmon farming.  Looks like desease outbreaks spread really quickly.

http://www.seaweb.org/resources/aquaculturecenter/documents/Salmon_Timeline.pdf

"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »

Fish farms kill wild stocks....Period and proven!!!

These euro owned companies moved here after nearly wiping out their own runs and getting kicked out, there are ways to do it where it will not effect the wild stocks but greed drives these companies and they will not do so unless legally forced..
If you think they care then you need to give your head a shake, why would you be at all concerned when your wiping out your competition and can make more when they are gone??

This painted with a wide brush? There is so much proof of the damages these farms do it's just flat out stupid to say they don't..and I stand by that 100%...The only people I ever hear argue for these companies are the ones who are in some way financially dependent or employed by said companies!!! 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

Would I eat a farmed fish? Not on your life! Neither will I allow any in my house, or any of my family to eat any! You don't see all the stuff that finds it's way into my hands, and I'll tell you if you got the chance to read some of the reports I have seen you would be so grossed out that you could barf for a week. I don't even like to talk about the subject now!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »

Your kidding right??? NDP wont get rid of fish farms. It makes too much money for the province. They are not going anywhere under any government.

This has already been stated by the NDP Brian. They have been the driving force behind stopping fish farms. Have you not read the report that was put out by the government group that was chaired by the NDP. Gordo put this group together and put mostly NDP in it in hopes that it would be a positive report and then he could say " see even the NDP think it is a good idea. But this back fired on him as it was a very negative report so he buried it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day