Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If given the chance to eat a farmed fish, or a naturally raised fish, which would you choose?

Naturally raised
- 46 (95.8%)
Farmed
- 2 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Would you eat a farmed fish?  (Read 15898 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Would you eat a farmed fish?
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »

Just stirring the pot again.  personally, I'll never eat a farmed fish.  I do not like deyes in my food and won't eat an animal if I need to see an MSDS report on what they've been fed.  I know I am being a little hypocritical here, but unlike many other foods, I have a reasonable opportunity to choose what kind of fish I eat.   

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Would you eat a farmed fish?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

so you're saying if both is available at the same time?  Then wild of course.

johnny

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

I personally don't buy or order farmed fish myself, however, if I were invited over to someone's house for dinner and that was what was being served I would gladly partake as a grateful guest.
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »

Never and besides if I do not catch my own I never buy any other than canned sockeye as I donot work the water for them if you know what I mean. ;D ;D ;D

greybark

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »

;D  Obviously , You are just not hungry enough  ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »

no i wouldn't eat a farmed fish,its not only the fish we should be concerned about eating ,some of the things that gets done to our beef and poultry cant be very good for you,i rarely buy beef from the super markets unless i have to,this year Ive got an elk and a deer in my freezer that is way better for you than the dye colored beef and the steroid fed chickens being pushed out at our supermarkets.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

Aren't salmon sushi or salmon sushimi served in Japanese restaurants farmed Atlantics ?

Downchild

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

no

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

Like I have said before I would not even feed it to a cat and I hate cats.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

gordc

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »

If it's a matter of taste I doubt if anyone could tell the difference between farmed and wild.  If it's a matter of principal than people really need to be sure of the facts.  If you just don't want to support farm salmon because you believe the industry negatively impacts the environment than I think one needs to be able to back that up with reasonable certainty and not from heresay.  Did you know that a highly regarded foundation was recently found guilty of slander and was succesfully sued by the salmon farming industy?  The information presented to the public by this foundation was complete bogus yet many people buy into this and base their decsions and opinions in regards to the salmon farming industry on this info.  There are good and bad in all groups of people and same goes for industry. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »

Well hopefully after the next provincial election when the Liberals get booted to the curb the NPD will get alot tougher on fish farms or just completly shut them down. Heck they export most of there crap out of the country anyways and there is probable only a few countries left where they have not destroyed the wild runs of their fish.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »

You are seriously wrong. Wild salmon tatses way better than farmed salmon, anyone who can catch their own fish knows that  :-X  As for false info. I truly think that salmon stocks are seriously being depleted because of fish farms. Evidence does not lie when it comes to sea-lice. Pretty much every fresh fish you catch have them on them now. The number of outgoing salmon fry that die because of them are rediculous. I don't get how you can say that is "false" evidence? Just go out and look at all the infested minnows close to the farms, then go out into the ocean, away from farms and take a look.

Why is it that Alaskan stocks are flourishing, along with stocks in South Africa, etc, while ours are going down the toilet  ??? It's not "ocean conditions" because it's the same freaking ocean. I don't think it is a coincedence that as soon as fish farms came around that our stocks went the same way as that of the East coast. Why don't they go farm their bloody salmon in a hole in the ground or away from fish migration routes, why have them smack dab in the middle.

Maybe you could provide us some evidence from you side that there is no environmental issues with the farms... if there is any.

BTW- back on topic.....
I do not eat farmed fish. Infact I eat very little fish now. Im mostly in it for the sport. When I do eat fish, they come from the end of my line and not out of a net  ::)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

Did you know that a highly regarded foundation was recently found guilty of slander and was succesfully sued by the salmon farming industy?
Gord-you have a number facts wrong-badly wrong.

The case you're talking about is here http://tinyurl.com/573p9u

A hired gun was found guilty of defaming Creative Salmon true.

But that's all that happened-Friends of Clayoquot wasn't even charged.

Also-anyone who's ever been downwind of a Salmon Farm would never ever touch the stuff-not without a gun to their head. ::)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »

I am sure some 3000 years ago at some kind of social gathering or a forum, someone asked the question:"Would you ever eat a farmed cow? The one you don't have to kill yourself".
And some guy went: Nooooooo, I would never eat a farmed cow....

gordc

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »

Don't put me on a side Everyday.   I just think it's a really wide brush stroke being made here and think a lot of info from the media is crap.  I catch my own fish and think a big part of why it tastes so much better is the manner in which it is handled from catch to plate.  The process from catch to supermarket to plate is subject to a lot of opportunity where the product can degrade.  Because of this any self caught fish is better than that of a supermarket IMO.

Sam Salmon:  I'm very certain that I don't have a "number of facts wrong" and will leave it at that.  Please don't misunderstand my comments.  I don't mean to take sides I just think all too often people jump on these bandwagons without doing some diligent research on their own.  On your comments about inland pens "hole in the ground", this would be a great idea to experiment (there are efforts being made and some inland pens in our province) if the industry in genral can't properly manage there ocean sites.