Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anti-cavitation fin  (Read 6899 times)

tracer

anti-cavitation fin
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »

??? can some one tell me what a  anti-cavitation fin does and were to find one

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: anti-cavitation fin
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »

Not exactly sure sure what your looking for but are you talking about the fins fins that mount to the cavitation plate? like these ones? the bottom three http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat21370&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat21276&parentType=category&parentId=cat21276

Or a fin for in front of a jet outboard off the back of the boat?

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: anti-cavitation fin
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »

I don’t think jets need an anti cavitation device...props do.

We had a crappy old 40 and if we got going too fast the prop would cavitate.  Basically we would be booting along and all of a sudden it would sound like its come out of gear and the engine would sound like its racing.  What was happening was the prop created a void around itself (air I think) and then it would loose its ability to bite the water.  As the prop lost its bite in the water it would cause the engine to race, at the same time (with the loss of bite) you would loose power and slow down.  The cavitation issue would quickly dissipate and then the racing engine and prop would bite again and you would lurch forward and off you go.  Not a huge issue but it could affect the top end performance of a boat.

I would assume this fin would stop that process and would be mounted on the leg?!?