Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pitt river in Jeopardy  (Read 3593 times)

adecadelost

pitt river in Jeopardy
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:10:39 PM »

Hey Folks, sorry I don't post here much but thought this article might be of some relevance to everyone here.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=deca0637-c2d4-4e8c-a1bb-3a0d1acf9d4f

Keep your eyes open for the public hearings as I'm sure a few of us would love to voice our concerns.

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: pitt river in Jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »

heard about a meeting held in Pitt Meadows a couple of weeks ago, asked for any info on this site and a couple of others to no avail.
no one seems to be all that intrested in whats happening up there.
probably because few get to fish the upper Pitt due to non drivable access
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

bcguy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »

I've been hearing about it now for a while, and it really does make me wonder about the BC "anything for a buck" Liberals.
Is this the way they treat our parks system, OH yes we believe in preservation, that is, unless we can make a buck off it by selling it off to private interests, and we the government make some royalties/taxes/kickback. One of the most pristine watersheds left with wild fish stocks, in the lower mainland and they are actually looking at the proposal right now. Oh that shouldn't be any problem, you should be able to start industrial development in a provincial park, as soon as we can make some legislative changes and ram it through before the public gets wind of it.Oh don't worry, what they can't drive to, they don't care about, now about those "royalties", oh and there might be a "premium" for development inside a PROVINCIAL PARK....

This whole thing just pisses me off, so I want to hear how others feel about this proposal for industrial development in our Provicial Park system, keeping in mind,
.... A thing called "PRECIDENT"

Here is a recent article in the Sun... So maybe someone who hasn't been brainwashed by our "business friendly" Liberal Party can comment on this proposal.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=deca0637-c2d4-4e8c-a1bb-3a0d1acf9d4f
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:47:52 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »

The Upper Pitt is just one.    There are many many others.  Take a look at this site.

http://www.bcpolitics.ca/SummaryHydro2.htm

bcguy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »

Oh I know, the precedent I worry about as well, is the fact that rights to OUR waterways are being sold to private interests in the name of "GREEN POWER" solutions. So think ahead on this one, if our waterways, another word for OUR WATER, is now a commodity, and can be bought, sold, and traded on the open market, with what the market will bare...it now falls into the realm of NAFTA and world wide trading, how much do you think good clean water is worth in California? Well thats what we will be paying for it as well, don't believe it? Look at the petroleum industry like natural gas, fuel for your car, electricity, etc. Why do you think we pay so much for fuel, when in comes right from our own back yard, or rather next store in Alberta. Market prices.

But more importantly is the fact that, at this very moment, our government is pondering giving a private company permision to develop our parks for private profit, this not a NON-PROFIT organization here, the only reason it's done is for $$$$$$$$.

So not only are we looking at endangering the Pitt watershed, with all the animals, and ecology, but doing it in a provincial park, which is supposed to represent a pristine wilderness, and for what? So a few can make a profit off the many, and be damned (pardon the pun) the environment!!!!!!! GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:58:38 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Sandhead

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »

Interesting article out in today's Georgia Straight about this exact issue...

http://www.straight.com/article-111552/electric-companies

"That is a huge environmental disaster," Protter said. "As for Calvert's concern about selling to the U.S.: why should we care where the electricity goes? Shouldn't you be glad that you're displacing some form of fossil-fuelled generation?"

this comment makes me mad on two reasons, one run of the river has a enviro impact on salmon and trout and two as a british columbian the energy from our rivers should be used to benefit british columbia's public
Ain't no HO like a COHO

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »

Take a close look at the link from a previous post.  Local projects in addition to the Upper Pitt inlude Tamihi Creek, a tributary to the Chiliwack River.