Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What reel to buy?  (Read 4778 times)

SNapz

What reel to buy?
« on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a new reel for fishing for Springs and was wondering what everyone would suggest? What reel and what strength of line should I get?

I am looking at spending around $200.00 for the reel but possibly a bit more.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.

SNapz

Re: What reel to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »

Forgot to say what kind of reel I am looking for. I want to go with a levelwind. Would the Abu Garcia C3 7000 series be a good choice?

charles

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:18 PM »

my 2 cents...

If you are willing to use braided for higher in poundage line, I would suggest the abu revo stx, or shimano curado 300.  Stx is amasingly smooth and give out lots of drag power (24lbs max) but lack in line capacity.  Curado 300 holds lots of line with slightly bigger than the stx and lower in drag power (15lbs max).  Both are comfortable to palm.  Both can cast a mile.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:31:40 PM »

depends on the water ur fishing, even in the fraser i find my abu 6500 c3 just fine, but i use braid in the fraser and mono in the smaller rivers.
Fish killer 101

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:56:22 AM »

A 7000 is a BIG reel and has way more line capacity than you need....you dont want to be slinging a big heavy reel if you dont need to.

The abu 6500 or shimano calcutta 400 is a good size for the vedder or the fraser.  I don't like the low profile bait casters.  If you are new to baitcasting, I think the reels like the 6500 and the calcutta have more room to pick out birds nests as they are not quite so compact.

While the models referenced below apparently have strong drag systems...who needs 24lbs of drag pressure when you will be fishing with leaders from 6-12lb!!!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:47:20 AM »

Personally I'd go with an abu 5500 because it is a smaller reel, same drags the 6500 and with braided line you will have more then enough capacity line. Can fit 180yds of 50lb braided on it....

Besides it's your first reel so start with something basic and solid and easily upgraded rather than some pimpish gold...lol

charles

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »

He said his budget was $200 and US dollars is at par with Canadian dollars so those reels are actually pretty cheap...  So I thought I throw in a couple of reels that are within his budget... 

I do tihnk cleaning up bird nest is much easier on a low-profile than a round caster cause of open design.  The round caster has the top bar but low-profile doesn't.   The space you get from a low-profile is all open from the top to the back but round caster only has the back open.  But that is just my opinion.

the 24lbs is max drag.  Compare to the 400 which has 11 - 15lbs (depends on which websites) but no one fish max drag.  It is an option so your range can actually be varies from 0-24 or 0-15...  No one use all 300HP or 113HP (my civic) from a car on every drive, but it is nice to know it is there.  Like I said before, it is smaller, lighter, but less capacity of line. 

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »

The 5.0 HEG gearing on the curado 200 would be a good choice for springs on the vedder but I would stay away from the Revo and its high gear ratio if you want it for springs.

Check this thread for more info on gear ratios http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=82cf0ddd178fa52e9f7ce6a3499e8998;topic=15295.0

As Gooey suggested the 400 size Calcutta (or 300 Luna) is a good option too a bit heavier but can be used on the Fraser as well.  It's a great all around reel.

charles

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »

I also like the DPV (5.0) version of the curado, only came in model of 200...  Just too bad that the 300 model does not give you a choice of gear ratio.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »

theres a 6500 in the buy sell here right now...check it out

SNapz

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:08:59 PM »

I have an Abu 5600 that I use for Coho and have caught Springs on it recently but just found that it took way too long to bring 20 lb fish in since it is only 12 lb mainline with a 10 lb leader. I like the Abu reel so I think the 6500 looks not bad. What lb test would you suggest using for springs in the Vedder? Should I go with braided line or will mono be OK and what lb test?

Thanks for the replies so far.

dspot

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »

Get a Calcutta 400. On e-bay, brand new ones are going for $200 shipped.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:41 AM »

I have never fished more that 15 lb mono for my main line and my largest vedder white was a 42 lb'er on 12 lb leaders.  I find the jump from 15lb to 20lb mono is very noticable in terms of line thickness and stiffness.  I started with a cheap rod ($99) and ran 15lb, I then went to a Sage 3113 (Centre pin) and stuck with the same line.  Last thing I wanted to do is over class my rod and break it and I found 15lb to be very managable in terms of casting a CP.

Braid can be ok too.  I have 2 shimano conquests (a 200 and a 400) and I refuse to let them sit idle considering their value.  To make them as versatile as possible I have them loaded with braid.  20lb on the 200 and 50lb on the 400.  I dont like the idea of having such visible line in the fishes face so I will tie my drennen onto the braid, add 3-4 feet of 15lb mono (and usually add split shot to that), and then tie on a 18 inch leader.  I then have the great handling characteristics of braid and the benefit of mono down at the fishes level.  I hate seeing yards of braid snapped off in the river and this system protects against that too.