Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44999 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

For the record.Can we stick to the topic at hand?I am not in favour of a reduction to two fish.Many working stiffs invest much time and money in their sport.Some go years without a limit.When they do it is a re-ward for the effort.I do not wish to see the many punished for the actions of the few.
Riverman

JPW

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 09:20:26 AM »

THANKS, leaping steely, you said it, RIGHT!!!!
Hey Milo, why do you try to talk your way out?  A racist comment is a racist comment!
And please don't keep mentioning your 25 years this and that B.S.  Just keep it to yourself. 

Can someone please explain how Milo was being racist?  Like snagging, racism comes down to intent in my opinion.  So what if he said it was a Chinese guy that kept a foul hooked fish?  If anything you thinking that's racism says more about you than about Milo.

Just yesterday while fishing I had a guy get my attention by saying, "hey buddy, white guy / blue jacket".  Was that racist?  I think people are just far too sensitive and apply their own preconceived notions about intent (a result of their own prejudices) on the people around them.

Back on track:

I'm all for dropping it to a 2 salmon limit.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »

Can someone please explain how Milo was being racist?  Like snagging, racism comes down to intent in my opinion.  So what if he said it was a Chinese guy that kept a foul hooked fish?  If anything you thinking that's racism says more about you than about Milo.

Just yesterday while fishing I had a guy get my attention by saying, "hey buddy, white guy / blue jacket".  Was that racist?  I think people are just far too sensitive and apply their own preconceived notions about intent (a result of their own prejudices) on the people around them.

Please read his entire post before you comment.  Milo particularly said that it was a Chinese/Cantonese man.  Why be so specific?  The guy who got your attention yesterday did not pin point you as a white (jewish, polish, american, etc.)  Milo could of just said Asian, or a guy fishing, and leave it at that.  Racism exists and THAT is reality, either against Asians, Indo-Canadians, Mid-Eastern and so forth.  The point  here is that Milo specifically said Chinese/Cantonese man.  The post is that he saw some guy who was not fishing properly.  RIGHT????

mzmann

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »

I as well see in no way shape or form Milos post being at all racist.

IMHO the only reason that he did not just say "Asian" was that he had the ability/knowledge to be a bit more specific.

Now if he was specifically writing a rant regarding and ousting some "specific ethnicity" person or group in a way that he viewed that the the person/groups ethnicity is the direct cause of said issue THEN it may be a different story, but its not.

Imho people with too much time on their hands sometimes read WAY more into things and end up creating something out of nothing much too often in this world these days. Unfortunately I see it much too often while working worldwide but Milo's post was nothing more than an educated observation as he has the knowledge available to make that differentiation.

Now as for the OP....I would be for whatever changes would work in order to reduce the # of anglers fishing that choose for whatever reason to disregard regulations, leave trash, etc, etc....I think if the prov was able to do that as a whole some way then it would rid a good majority of the anglers that unfortunately really just don't give a s**t and end up directly or indirectly causing most of these "issues". As i've seen mentioned before in other threads, I would be in favor of higher license fees (with a bit of a break of course for seniors/disability and maybe students) in addition to a fishing test.

This I truly believe would get rid of alot of the riffraff so to speak and the extra funds from higher licensing and/or test fee I believe would be significantly increased compared to the current system which would allow for more funds to be placed appropriately. ie; better presence of enforcing authority's. Would thin the true beaks and "no cares" substantially I think. Then we wouldn't have to worry about splitting rivers, changing quotas, etc, etc. Just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:46:05 PM by mzmann »
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »

I as well don't think Milo was being racist. Lets get this back on topic ehhh. Should we change the regs or not ? Input and viewpoints are what we are looking for.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »

I doubt lowering the limit will do much to reduce the rippers and snaggers unless you set the limit to 0. Its an unfortunate result of ease of accessibility and healthy returns.

Regs should be changed when needed to protect the returns, not because you are too pure to stand beside a 'meat fisherman', whatever that means. If they are fishing legally and ethically then if they limit out whether it be 2 or 4 fish, then good on them.

I'd rather just see the current rules strongly enforced for compliance. I was checked by fisheries officers on a walking trail last week for license and barbed hook, which was nice to see, but 5 minutes later I hit a different run to see a group of 5 dragging in nasty pinks butt-backwards and right into a garbage bag.  The limit for pinks is already 2 but that didnt stop them from making the trip out and going nuts on those humpys.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:36:15 AM by DanL »

Joeb

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »

I dont think Milo was beeing racist either.
I also dont think changing the regs would affect the amount of rippers on the river. I like the idea of a core program in order to get a fishing license. I really cant see anything ever changing unless there was more officers checking the river and handing out fines. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »

The only time I fish the Vedder gong show is if my friends invite me and I go just more for the social aspect if hanging with my friends.

I would rather fish other systems in more solitude with less chances at hooking and retaining fish.

That being said IMO about the question at hand I think the Vedder fishery was created so that people can take fish home. Changing the boundaries is not the answer. The only answer for this system is ENFORCEMENT!!! That is the only thing that will create a better experience for those that choose to fish in such an environment.

BTW being a good friend of Milo's I can speak and say he is the furthest thing from a racist. Best to just drop that from this topic as it's a non issue

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »

That being said IMO about the question at hand I think the Vedder fishery was created so that people can take fish home. Changing the boundaries is not the answer. The only answer for this system is ENFORCEMENT!!!

Well if thats the case where are my fish ? Went to the  Vedder thinking most people would be celebrating Thanksgiving dinner tonight and with high tide at 3 pm and at 14 ft. everything looked perfect. Problem was nobody told the other 500 people to stay home and eat, lol. Well long story short, no fish and tons of people. Oh well, next time.

And BB hit the nail right on the head. More enforcement is the most logical and most preventative method we have. Either through a volunteer system or hiring more of the good guys this is the best route to take. I also strongly believe that public
shaming is a great tool to for those that act dishonestly and show a blatant disregard. Video is the best way or maybe wanted posters on poles showing a pic and outlining the persons transgression.  ;D

Go Bronco's !!!!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:18:17 PM by Athezone »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »

Enforcement it is, then.
I will start recording more video.

Rodney, what's your policy on posting video showing people blatantly breaking the rules?
Is it OK to post when the people's faces and ethnic background are clearly visible (and audible) in the segments?

merrittboy1

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »

So does this mean that every time someone is seen bringing a pink in backwards or using a longer leader or float line, they should be videoed and publicly shamed..  Come on... I know what you are talking about, but we pay people to enforce the rules.  I don't want to see the power given to volunteers who may lack judgement or demonstrate their personal biases.  I think people need to be very careful if taking pictures or videos of people (they feel) are fishing inappropriately.   I certainly hope that such videos are not shown on this site.  Don't feel that it is the right forum.  On a lighter side, I could see a lot of guys getting caught skipping work, or being caught by their wives.  lol. 
Raising fees, no way, unless we know for a fact that the money is going to be put where it belongs.  That is not happening now so what is going to change.  I pay too many taxes etc already, no more... 

As well, I don't feel that Milo was being racist, but mentioning that the guy snagging was Chinese was not needed.  No real defense on this...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:59:18 PM by merrittboy1 »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »

Hit a sensitive string, didn't I?
I have a Master's Degree in Linguistics and speak 6 languages fluently, and I have worked as a language professional (interpreter, translator and language teacher) for over 25 years. During my ongoing linguistics research, I have become well acquainted with accent, intonation, stress, rhythm and with numerous individual words and phrases in at least 20 other languages - Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Japanese being among them. With proper training, you don't need to understand a language in order to recognize a language. That's how.
As to your insinuation of even a trace of racism in my post, get over it. I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country.

Quoted for posterity,

We are in the presence of a superior human being folks. Milo is so superior he needs to remind us of it in writing. It's kind of like some guy telling you how great he really is despite the fact that he's been divorced 4 times and his kids don't talk to him anymore lol.

"I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country."

I'm curious tho' Why you have such extra hatred for your former countrymen. That be Yugoslavia, right? Didn't you folks sort of tear yourself apart on ethnic hatred in the 90s and then annoyed the Europeans so much that NATO bombed you?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:47:16 AM by dennisK »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »

Quoted for posterity,

We are in the presence of a superior human being folks. Milo is so superior he needs to remind us of it in writing. It's kind of like some guy telling you how great he really is despite the fact that he's been divorced 4 times and his kids don't talk to him anymore lol.

"I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country."

I'm curious tho' Why you have such extra hatred for your former countrymen. That be Yugoslavia, right? Didn't you folks sort of tear yourself apart on ethnic hatred in the 90s and then annoyed the Europeans so much that NATO bombed you?

Amen

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

It's not hatred; it's frustration. Frustration for blowing up a country that had been the envy of East and West.

The same frustration I feel when I see you write yet another useless post that contributes nothing to a topic at hand.
But I should be used to it by now...your notoriousness for blowing up good discussion threads far exceeds your good looks.

As you were...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »

So does this mean that every time someone is seen bringing a pink in backwards or using a longer leader or float line, they should be videoed and publicly shamed.. 

No, everybody can foul hook a fish and drag it to the beach (although it's preferable to break it off). That is not an offense.
But dragging a fish by the tail to the beach, and then bonking it to keep it is a very different matter.
As for long leaders, if there is a leader length restriction in place (it's coming, I am sure of that), anyone fishing with far too much leader beyond the regulated length would be breaking the rules, so they could be potential video fodder. Why not?
Nothing hurts people more than public shame and a hit on their wallet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:55:20 AM by milo »