Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44780 times)

mojo7

Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »

Um we aren't all tax payers and even those who are don't all deserve to use the resources equally. How many Washington license plates have you seen at the vedder? And people who have no regard for the rules give up their right to fish. Your assertions just smack of ignorance and entitlement.

Um we aren't all tax payers and even those who are don't all deserve to use the resources equally.

If you consume goods and services in Canada you ARE a taxpayer whether you work or not.

Please explain why I am not entitled to my share of tax money I work hard for that the gov. forcefully takes from me?

The river is a PUBLIC resource and not a private reserve for wealthy land owners. This is why Canada is considered one of the best places in the world to live. This is why Brits look on in envy at us here in BC as we have access to our collective public recreational resources unlike there where most lakes and rivers are owned privately and the peasants have no right to access and what little access they have costs dearly. I enjoy our access and would like to keep it that way.

How many Washington license plates have you seen at the vedder?

Foreigners pay a premium to fish in BC. They also bring $$$ to the local economy as well as paying taxes, gas tax, food taxes, etc. without the benefits of citizenship

And people who have no regard for the rules give up their right to fish.

Agreed and ought to be punished accordingly.

Your assertions just smack of ignorance and entitlement.

YOUR assertions just smack of ignorance and entitlement...

Um we aren't all tax payers and even those who are don't all deserve to use the resources equally

fishbandit66

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »

If you consume goods and services in Canada you ARE a taxpayer whether you work or not.

Foreigners pay a premium to fish in BC. They also bring $$$ to the local economy as well as paying taxes, gas tax, food taxes, etc. without the benefits of citizenship

Almost all of the people from Washington I have met on the vedder have been day trippers. I would stick my neck out and say they didn't even buy a litre of gas on the trip over. Do they still count as taxpayers? Just because they spent a pitiful $100 on a years fishing license doesn't count for much IMO.

And my Scottish buddies laugh when I show them pictures of 5000 people standing shoulder to shoulder tangling each other's lines. I don't think they are laughing out of jealousy but you've got me curious now. I'll check that next time I see them.

And when did I say the river should be privatized? I just said some areas should be restricted to experienced fishermen. A recent survey on the vedder suggested 98% of fishermen would be in favour of excluding flossers, snaggers, bottom bouncers and people who can't ID a wild coho from 50 yards whilst it's still under water. You only have to spend 10 seconds looking at this site to know there is a strong feeling on the subject.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Um we aren't all tax payers and even those who are don't all deserve to use the resources equally. How many Washington license plates have you seen at the vedder? And people who have no regard for the rules give up their right to fish. Your assertions just smack of ignorance and entitlement.

It wouldn't be hard to police. Last time I checked the licensing system has a "classified waters" tag to fish on certain lakes eg Shuswap. I'm sure the COs manage to police that fishery and it's about a million times bigger than the vedder.

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm happy with your asessment if thats how you feel. I still don't see how following your game plan will weed out the snaggers and the poachers and help with the problems were discussing. Just because you're a ten year + man doesn't mean you'll be any less a snagger than one with less experience. That's just my opinion though and I welcome yours or anyone else's thoughts on this situation. Off to watch sum Football Go Bronco's !!!   

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2013, 01:00:08 AM »

.... in favour of excluding flossers, snaggers, bottom bouncers and people who can't ID a wild coho from 50 yards whilst it's still under water. You only have to spend 10 seconds looking at this site to know there is a strong feeling on the subject.

You can identify a WILD coho 50 yards whilst it's still under water?  ::) Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call BS on that. Besides, if that were the case then 99.98% of us would not be eligible to purchase a license...you and some psychic would be the only exception.

fishbandit66

« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »

You can identify a WILD coho 50 yards whilst it's still under water?  ::) Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call BS on that. Besides, if that were the case then 99.98% of us would not be eligible to purchase a license...you and some psychic would be the only exception.

I never said I could make that call! But for what it's worth I have lost count of the number of know it alls I have met on the river that think they can tell a wild coho just by the way it bites / fights etc. Plenty of threads on this forum too suggesting wild fish bite harder, fight harder and many elaborate theories as to why that is the case. Far be it from me to question their extensive knowledge on the subject. I only hope one day that I may be as good at fishing as they are.