Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44788 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

Open the Vedder up to 8 coho a day, 4 springs any size. Your tax dollars are paying for them, why not get some benefit from it? These fish are there to be caught.

That is just going to create more snagging/flossing and more crowds.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »

I would rather see a more proactive watch dog program put in place where hatchery employees and their volunteers can report violations to DFO and have them be recognized as a non confrontational yet accountable source of info which officers could respond to expediently. They would have the same level of authority as parking meter attendants.

I really think blaydRnr has a great idea here Milo. Why not have extra eyes on the river via hatchery employees or volunteers ?
It would certainly ease some of the pressure off of dfo and make the transgressors a little more nervous about doing what they know they should'nt be doing. Good thinking blaydRnr !!!

Kenwee

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 11:13:53 PM »

leader lengths should be no more than 18 inch.Long leaders should be fined heavily.

merrittboy1

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »

Interesting topic, but once again a slant towards elitism(sp).  I was on the river the other day, lower area near Yarrow.  Watched a couple of guys pull out some nice coho fishing in a very appropriate manner.  They were not beaks!  But, when they left they did leave a bag of garbage behind, probably by mistake, but none the less left behind.  So to insinuate that all people who leave garbage are beaks or "scum", (I hate your use of this word,scum, Milo to describe people), is wrong.
Change of regs: two fish per day..any salmon species on the Vedder if person is keeping.  The idea of splitting the river in half though is not one I would like to see. I like to fish several areas of the river, do not want to be limited.  As several people have pointed out there is lots of room and those who don't like to be near the meat fisherman etc.  can move on to quieter spots. 

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »

Not in favour of giving up anymore freedom to fish.Just another thin excuse to do so because the fishery is abused by a small minority.This never works.It is however a very convenient knee jerk solution.I for one have been limited and chased out of one prime area after another in the lower mainland by well intentioned bureaucrats who always seem to use this as their main approach.Years ago the limit hole was open to the same dimension as the regs for every other hatchery.Whining about the same abuses occurring everwhere else on the river brought about a temporary then permanent closure of that portion.Was up there last week and the only people getting the benifit of this were a bunch of people ignoring the signs and fingering anyone who tells them the area is closed.Good to see some C.O.s there but I would support more.Also some that would do some hiking and not just holes at the side of the road.More fees.More C.O.s Less interference.
Riverman

zztop

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »

I,m not in favor of changing any access to the river.We have already lost a lot in the 35 years i,ve fished it.If anything we shoud all respect the resourse we have here and fight to keep it.There is already half the river cloed above the hachery.Play fair and try to educate others,there is not enough DFO  to do it alone.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »

Some very intelligent input on this thread. Thanks.

So far I can conclude that no one is in favour of rezoning the river; everyone is in favour of more education, more vigilance, and more enforcement; and most people would also agree to a 2 instead of the current 4 salmon daily quota.

So to insinuate that all people who leave garbage are beaks or "scum", (I hate your use of this word,scum, Milo to describe people), is wrong.

Merritt boy, I am sorry you feel that way about the word "scum', but I am only using it as suggested by Merriam-Webster and other respected and comprehensive dictionaries of the English language, to denote
a low, vile, or worthless person or group of people

I can't help it, but anyone who deliberately leaves garbage behind them in the nature falls into this category in my books. And the only reason they do it is because there are people like Chris Gasdsen who diligently pick up after them and because there is no consequence to them for their actions. To make a point, yesterday I picked up nine Tim Horton's empty cups and three empty roe containers from the ground at a Vedder river parking spot. Trust me, those were ALL fishing vehicles parked there as it is nowhere near any popular recreational trail.

Like, how difficult is to leave your empty coffee cup in your vehicle and dispose of it properly?

BTW, yesterday I witnessed a Chinese man play a foul hooked spring, walk it downstream where he thought he was not being seen, look over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't being watched, and then proceed to unhook the fish, bonk it and walk with it victoriously back to his friends. I would swear one of his friends criticized him for bonking a foul-hooked fish (Can't guarantee it, I don't understand Cantonese), but the body language was quite clear. Too bad I didn't have my good camera with me to film it.
If the person who criticized him is a FWR member and is reading this - kudos to you, but next time go all the way and throw the fish back in the river, even if it is dead. Letting your friend keep his foul-hooked fish sends the wrong message.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:33:33 PM by milo »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

BTW, yesterday I witnessed a Chinese man play a foul hooked spring, walk it downstream where he thought he was not being seen, look over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't being watched, and then proceed to unhook the fish, bonk it and walk with it victoriously back to his friends. I would swear one of his friends criticized him for bonking a foul-hooked fish (Can't guarantee it, I don't understand Cantonese), but the body language was quite clear.

Hey Milo BTW, how can you pick out a Chinese man within the Asian community?  Just because they have black hair and yellow skin DOES NOT mean that he is chinese.  If you have not noticed that Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese have the same color hair and skin.  And, since you don't understand cantonese, how do you know that he is speaking cantonese?  It seems like that you like to bash any fisherman who is Asian and especially Chinese.  You don't understand cantonese but you seem to be able to read body language.  How is body language able to distinguish what his friend criticized him for?   I thought you were out there fishing? and not looking to discriminate anyone? 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:42:56 PM by leapin' tyee »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »

Hey Milo BTW, how can you pick out a Chinese man within the Asian community?  Just because they have black hair and yellow skin DOES NOT mean that he is chinese.  If you have not noticed that Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese have the same color hair and skin.  And, since you don't understand cantonese, how do you know that he is speaking cantonese?  It seems like that you like to bash any fisherman who is Asian and especially Chinese.  You don't understand cantonese but you seem to be able to read body language.  How is body language able to distinguish what his friend criticized him for?   I thought you were out there fishing? and not looking to discriminate anyone?

Hit a sensitive string, didn't I?
I have a Master's Degree in Linguistics and speak 6 languages fluently, and I have worked as a language professional (interpreter, translator and language teacher) for over 25 years. During my ongoing linguistics research, I have become well acquainted with accent, intonation, stress, rhythm and with numerous individual words and phrases in at least 20 other languages - Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Japanese being among them. With proper training, you don't need to understand a language in order to recognize a language. That's how.
As to your insinuation of even a trace of racism in my post, get over it. I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:15:21 PM by milo »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »

(Can't guarantee it, I don't understand Cantonese),

This is from your original post, yet NOW you claim that you are acquainted with cantonese.  CONTRADICTION  or what!!!

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:29 AM »

This is from your original post, yet NOW you claim that you are acquainted with cantonese.  CONTRADICTION  or what!!!

I wonder if this is even worth my time on the keyboard, but here it goes anyways:

As a linguist, I recognize Cantonese, just like I recognize a couple dozen more languages. I am familiar with many of their phonetical and phonological features, allophonic rules (think of them as sound clues), and their grammar. You don't need to speak or understand a language to know a language.
Hope this clears your confusion.

merrittboy1

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »

The river system and it's litter is a reflection of a bigger problem.  Look all over, you will see garbage.  Where ever people can dump they will.  Our highways, city streets etc are filled with litter. I make an effort to help out by picking up left behind, line, hooks etc., but sometimes I am just too lazy to pick up after others.  It is a very sad commentary of our society.  As a former teacher I spent a lot of time stressing the importance of being responsible and picking up after yourself.  What I have seen is that as kids got older they took on more of a who cares attitude, otherwise let someone else clean the garbage.  Very sad! It's a tough battle...

Milo, nothing wrong with mentioning what you saw, but mentioning his race is probably not needed.  Who cares what race he was.   And regarding his friend grabbing the fish and throwing it back in the water, realistically, how many of us would do that.

The idea of having volunteers policing the river and telling people how to fish, could be a problem. If I am using a leader length that you might not agree with, but I am within the law, I might not appreciate it.  Maybe what could be done is have a few people produce some how to pamphlets and stand near busy areas and hand them out as guys go in or out of these trouble areas, ie. Keith Wilson bridge.  Some of these flyers might end up on the ground, but some will be read and learned from.. JMO!

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »

Milo, I am ashamed to think that a linguist (of more than 25 years, might I add) would resort to hiding behind his academic background to justify pointing out a snagger's race. There are snaggers that come from all corners of the globe. It is "nice" that you "bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country". However, you recognizing that this particular individual was Chinese due to the phonological and prosodic elements in his speech is beside the global point that I hoped you were getting at with this entire thread, and a post like the one in question only serves to perpetrate racial stereotypes.

I think we can all agree that a poacher is a poacher.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »

There are 4 other rivers in the Lower Mainland with big DFO hatcheries on them. Other than Cap, the others are much less crowded than the Ved. There are a buttload of other rivers without large hatchery production where you can go and find uncrowded quality fishing. Many of these other rivers have no retention, or only 1 fish. You have the type of waters you seek, in Squamish, Seymour, Chehalis, north Fraser tribs, south Fraser tribs, etc. The Vedder is the only river that offers a true meat fishery, if one seeks it. Why take that away?

Open the Vedder up to 8 coho a day, 4 springs any size. Your tax dollars are paying for them, why not get some benefit from it? These fish are there to be caught.

A pretty valid point about the excess # of hatchery fish. Back in the 80s the limit was 8 for a time. Coho production was ramped up for the Expo tourist rush. Why not truck them back down to #1 Bridge?

I don't agree that the other hatchery fisheries are less crowded. Inch creek isn't huge but that area still gets pretty crowded plus has it's contingent of snaggers. The Chehalis can be worse than the V-C below the canyon.

Chilliwack coho do not need hatchery enhancement. That's done only to provide a harvest fishery. I don't think we have a right to fish as often as we want when we want or kill fish in double digits over a season. Best to keep the river in as natural a state as possible IMO.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »

THANKS, leaping steely, you said it, RIGHT!!!!

Hey Milo, why do you try to talk your way out?  A racist comment is a racist comment!
And please don't keep mentioning your 25 years this and that B.S.  Just keep it to yourself. 

Thanks