Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suicide creek 11-16  (Read 12484 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
suicide creek 11-16
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »

I honestly hope no members of this board were at suicide creek today >:( me and a bud were there first light and first there period, things look decent to start out, not too many guys..my buddy hooked into a bright doe, 4-5 pound range...and the guy up from him hooked into a decent colored one as well...both on roe...i started with blade on float, switched to number 5 blue fox..finally to fake roe and wool and busted a nice 8 pounder or so buck that fought hard, 4 jumps cleared water...but unfortunately he was starting to turn and had too much color for my liking so i let him go..i got a few bumps and a couple almost but i was shut out..my bud got another decent doe and was happy....that's the good news..here's the bad..WE WILL NEVER FISH THERE AGAIN..i can honestly say i have never seen more combat style ignorant fishing in my life...i almost punched out one guy, ended up yelling at him and he moved away from me quick..(basically tried to fish in my pocket..i asked him to move and then had to get in his face and make him move) we had guys fishing from the other bank and casting their floats five feet in front of us and 6 lines crossed upriver...the morning guys were pretty good rods but after 9 the guys that showed up were ALL were snagging the fish big time..i honestly didn't see one guy fishing legit....i finally couldn't take it anymore and started asking them why they just didn't all fish with dynamite? got the usual looks and no one said anything back...Rod, i know you posted the numbers for dept. of fisheries but we forgot our cell phones..i would have really liked to see some major fines handed out....On a final note, my bud. hooked me up with one of his coho's as he knows i love to bar b q them as soon  as i catch them...I'm chowing down on it as i write this...and man is it tasty...but as far as suicide creek goes...man no way can that even come close to being classified as fishing???

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
Re: suicide creek 11-16
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:21:38 PM »

yes ive had many day like that on numerous rivers, there just ignorent people, (notice i didnt say fishermen). I say throw'em in the river and then snagg them by the my friend or something like that...............................to bad other than that sounds like an okay day.
My hands smell like fish again.............

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 07:22:30 PM »

And this is different from the Vedder,Chehalis, and the Stave how?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 07:39:22 PM »

any salmon runs for that matter.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 07:43:42 PM »

And this is different from the Vedder,Chehalis, and the Stave how?

yeah, i know it can be bad everywhere..i have just never seen guys climbing down on rocks across from you on a river..errr, creek, that is maybe 60 feet across???? casting over at your feet almost, upstream across lines...guys all with 12 foot leaders in 3 feet of water...(water was way down and super shallow and clear, fish were stacked up pretty good).....guys were hooking each others lines constantly....NO EDICATE, guess that part and the snagging really got to me...

after almost punching the one guy i moved up stream some away from everyone...guy up there, same thing, 12 feet of leader, ripping in every time..thankfully he never snagged anything..it just made me pause and really look at how all the other guys were fishing, all were snagging...that was fourteen guys in the pool right in front of the bridge...14 guys!!! just insane, got to be something we can do about this???

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »

the very first fish i ever caught was right on the top of the head, i guess you would consider that a snag, i didnt keep it nor never had kept any fish that were not in the mouth, however do you think that any hookset around the mouth is acceptable? i now ive caught a few right under the mouth would that be a snag as well, again i only keep fish caught by lips, just wondering if a possible miss hit would be accerptable? ???
My hands smell like fish again.............

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »

On the way out of the cap this weekend, I was sickened by the beaks snagging big old boot springs in the cable pool.  Bottom bouncing wool on long (5-10 foot) leaders of 20-30+lb line...it was just gross.  Watched a father and son roll in with basically fraser gear and after having watched a 30 lb spring fought for 20 minutes, beached with a net, dropped on the rocks and then kicked back...I couldnt help myself.  I said to them something to the effect of dont bother setting up, everyone in the hole is just snagging fish with their ten foot leaders and its a disgusting way to fish.  He said "well how would you go about catching them"? 

It was an hounest question, no sarcasm, no attitude, etc.  I replied I would use roe, maybe try some spinners to intice a bite, I would use a float to reduce snagging...dont BB and drag you hook across the run, etc.

Its was a curtious exchange but it drove home the fact that most people out there DONT HAVE A F*****G CLUE!  Nothing against this father, he and his son probably learned how to hook salmon on the fraser fishing socks and now he and his son have carried this tactic else where...like many others.

I learned to fish rivers floating roe and wool.  I have evolved as a fisherman and developed my arsenal to include hardware, blades, flies, roe sacks, marabou jigs, etc, etc.  People who learn to fish salmon during our summer floss fishery never learn to do it right by inducing a bite.   They have high expectations of coming home with a fish and more often than not, dont care how it happens (ie snagged or not)

It is time DFO updated the regs and increased enforcement.  Its about time DFO put the SPORT back in sport fishing!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »

The father and son should have checked out an actual ticket that was posted to the entrance of the Cable Pool

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 08:21:06 PM »

Just remember if you are on the river and their are 100 other people on the same stretch you are also part of the gong show. People ripping,snagging, BB'ing is a different situation altogether. The rivers do not belong to one person so you cannot be upset if you get to a spot and their are a ton of people fishing. Just move to somewhere else if you don't like it.

Just tired of people complaining about how their are so many people on the rivers........

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dnibbles

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 09:48:34 PM »

That's funny, you fished in the middle of the gong show and then complain. Go for a walk next time, you'll save your sanity and also probably have better fishing than beek central.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 10:14:15 PM »

dont know if yor comment was to me Bulltrout, but I didnt fish there.  Even knowing that S**T goes on bugs me.  Besides, going somewhere else, ignoring a problem, and allowing an attrocity to continue unchecked is virtually no different than sticking your head in the sand!

People complain about the gong shows ruining runs...wait until its the entire river!  as the lower mainland becomes more and more populated, the gong shows will get worse, they will spread and eventually very little "peaceful" space will be left for people who dont want to fish around snaggers and beaks - let alone fish a run in solitude.

Flossing, lack of etiquette, general gong show nature that our sport is degrading to...its an issue we can't ignore much longer.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 09:55:35 AM »

first i consider snagging or flossing anything that includes a 10 foot leader and hauling in fish for five minutes that are SNAGGED..in the back or stomach...you can hit the mouth flossing to hence it's name..

as far as walking down or up river, i did, but i was the first one on the river and in my spot...i put this with golf, if it's a busy summer weekend, the round will be slow but that doesn't excuse people hitting into you or jumping your group, it's all about etiquette...my buddy won't say anything, i will...not to be a jerk, but because I'm in my 40's and i was raised to that way, when someone gives me the finger, i follow them down and ask them why..the person has always coward ed..it's all about holding people responsible for their actions..the same i do with my kids...there is no excuse for being a jerk on a river or anywhere for that matter. I just wonder if all the ethical fisherman started a campaign or something and said something or at least pointed out to these guys that it is not legal to fish that way if it would help...i tend to think like gooey that some guys have no idea, i was fishing with a guide a few weeks ago and that's how he fished, said people pay money and they want a fish..so is this where these guys are learning it from??? i honestly doubt it, i think they do it because they can and they can get away with it....period.

I know in todays society everyone assumes that everyone else is a gangbanger and "they could have a gun" i grew up around Detroit and went through all the b.s. it's the F***ing video games..but i won't touch that argument...I'm new to all this and as a newbie all i can say is it's wrong and you got to do something or you won't have any fish left!!!

Finally on the Vedder i did see a couple guys doing this and a guy down from me made some comments after he got a couple fish and when he had his limit the guy went right after him and let him know in no uncertain terms that that was enough and it was unacceptable. other guys on the river jumped right in and started blasting the guy too, it was like everyone was just waiting for someone else to say it first..the guys packed up and left immediately...i don't know, maybe this is an old dog and it's been beaten so many times that you guys get sick of hearing it...probably is, I'm new and the guys who have showed me how to fish are ethical fisherman...they like to say "it's called fishing, not catching"....sorry for the long rant!!!! it's the j. rome effect on me,,,,I'm out!!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 10:22:21 AM »

welcome to the lower mainland

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:34 AM »

Its more than unfortunate G65 its sad and its a crime that sport fishing in the lower mainland is headind down the road its on . People were warned  long ago on this board and others that the snagging happening on the Fraser would spread like a cancer to the other flows if it was not stopped.
Sure you can find a quiet spot if you look for it but take a look at what these fish have to get past before they get to your quiet spot .
I saw a guy fishing with his three little kids on the Vedder just last weekend . The kids all had lifejackets on and I commend Dad for that but his setup was no float , a 2oz. bouncing betty, a 12'
leader and a gaff for a hook with a gob of wool on it  :-\ .
This is what a generation of kids are now learning  :-[ wether people want to admit it or not .
New laws are needed and enforcement must be there .

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »

Its was a curtious exchange but it drove home the fact that most people out there DONT HAVE A F*****G CLUE!  Nothing against this father, he and his son probably learned how to hook salmon on the fraser fishing socks and now he and his son have carried this tactic else where...like many others.

Totally agree allot of people are introduced to salmon fishing through the fraser like i was. ::) Its by far the easiest way to get someone into it no skill involved. I wont lie first time i went to the vedder that was 6 years ago i came with the same rig cuz i had NO! CLUE! That being said i came down to the river and the first thing that caught my eye was not all the fish people were catching but how they were catching them. I was off to freds in a flash to ask them what exactly i need to fish the vedder and in 20 mins i was set. I think its everyone responsibility who is knew to at least drop by the local store and ask how to best fish that river.
[