Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson River November 12/13  (Read 3716 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Thompson River November 12/13
« on: November 13, 2005, 10:44:55 PM »

Just got back from my first Thompson River trip for the year. fished for the day with two other buddies. very very slow fishing overall. we really had to work the holes hard to catch the steelies.

i caught the first one in the morning weighing in at about 17-18lbs - chrome doe.
about 12:00 we came across the fish counter guy who told us that we were the only ones he has come across that has caught a fish all morning.

after he leaves my two buddies hook into steelies. one was a 12-13 lb buck and the other we couldn't tell if it was a 7-8lb steelhead or a trout.

when we encountered the fish counter guy again at 3:30pm he had surveyed 50 guys and guessed that there might have been about 80 on the river all day. told us that there were only 6 steelhead reported caught. 3 of them were ours and 1 was caught by a guy right beside us at the rock run just before the fish counter guy arrived.

after he left again we were headed back only to stop at one more hole. i chose to not fish but my buddy said he just wanted to throw a line for fifteen minutes and lucky enough on the first cast he hooked another steelie. didn't get to see this one because it was long lined released.

i guess all in all it was a good day for us considering how the fishing went for the rest of the guys on the river. by the way the weather was excellent but the water level was pretty high.

all fish were caught drift fishing with either shrimp, roe or wool. all bait had corkies and some had corkies and wool.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 11:41:34 AM by Rodney »
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
Re: Thompson River
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:55:54 PM »

Well done i thought it was hard to catch steelhead but you guys are making it sounds easy :o
crab cakes

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 11:13:11 PM »

actually the guys i was fishing with have been fishing this system for 30+years. when i first started fishing for steelhead there were many many many days of not even getting a sniff of a steelhead.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 11:48:04 PM »

did you go with Guy ?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 07:38:38 AM »

nice job on the 18lber
weeeeeeeeeow!

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 11:54:35 AM »

do have any pics of the steelhead you cought ;D ;D

nigglesworth

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:40:03 PM »

i am heading up there in two days for a couple of days of fishing!!!!  I can't wait.  I am going to try my luck at fly fishing.  I hear it is difficult, but hey, you have to start somewhere.  First time for steelhead....

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 10:42:03 PM »

sounds like an okay day of steelheading..........ive always wanted to try there, thanks for the report
My hands smell like fish again.............

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 11:38:50 PM »

sorry no pics this time around. we forgot the digital camera.

i will take the camera next time.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »

no i didn't go with Guy.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 11:09:23 AM »

Ah thanks buddha...just curious..i have a friend who was talking about going to the thompson in that timeframe for some steelies..

Big Green Machine

Re: Thompson River November 12/13
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 12:55:08 PM »

very very slow fishing overall

three steelhead on the Thompson is not slow

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
Re: Thompson River November 12/13
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »

actually four steelhead for the day but it was slow considering at 3:30pm the fish counter guy only reported 6 fish caught between 50 people on the river.

over the past 5 years the group of guys i fish with at the thompson have come out of every trip with at least three for the group. it does help fishing with guys that have fished that particular river for over thirty years.

i find that on the thompson river, experience, confidence in your gear and confidence that there are fish holding in the holes you are fishing are key. in the days of getting skunked a lot i used to move around a lot more. now i fish each hole very hard. in one day we will be lucky to hit four-five holes.

also, two fish that day were caught trolling the bait along the bottom through deep, slow moving back eddies or holes. a popular technique that i picked up from a couple of experienced fishermen.