Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suicide creek 11-16  (Read 12386 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: suicide creek 11-16
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2005, 05:58:47 PM »

Look at that colour.  Gorgeous fish...Slap that baby on the BBQ with a soaked cedar board and your off to the races.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »

Rodney.

i don't know how to highlight a couple paragraphs... :-[ god i hate computers sometimes...i agree, i was thinking about it later and ethical is not the right term at all....BUT...if a fly guy did come up and i would tell him to show me and do it...(I'm moving into that realm over the winter).. ;D...there has got to be a term that is catchy enough that guys would look at it and want to ask about it...and money made could be used to print out flyers etc. about the problem with snagging....on the other hand, i like what Alaska does with it "snagging" season...that's pretty enlightened in my mind too...kind of gets guys thinking about what other ways are there to catch..

but one other thing i got to ask..aside from the snagging etc. Why would anyone think that crowding into some guys space or going to the other side of a creek and tossing your line upstream over 3-4 other guys lines is acceptable???? that one i just don't get...i look at these guys like they are martians...that's right up there with parking in the handicap spot...not to bright..

Thanks for the insight though, it's good to know that I'm not alone in my frustration, and if that means joining a club up your ways and trying to make a difference..so be it..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:00:41 PM by golfman65 »

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005, 06:02:01 PM »

[qoute]Why would anyone think that crowding into some guys space or going to the other side of a creek and tossing your line upstream over 3-4 other guys lines is acceptable

happened to me one time on the chehalis when a landed to coho. the cast over to me and my dad and we could barley cast our selve, so we just left.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2005, 08:26:10 PM »

gm65, I hope you are not trying to troll on the subject of bashing sockeye fishermen as snaggers.  I think we have debated long enough on that subject already on this forum.  This forum does not sanction such name calling on sockeye fishermen.  Many of them are skilled steelheaders and coho fishermen. They BB for sockeye because it is acceptable to DFO as an effective fishing method for sox.  Flossing is intended to hook the mouth of the fish, whereas snagging targets the body, particularly the soft underbelly, and most snaggers do not release a snagged fish.  Most sockeye fishermen released fish caught in the body.  No one I know among my sockeye fishing group is using 12' leader and a bettie on the smaller system.  On fishbc forum, some posters from Alska claim they use the term 'lining' over there.

I understand your frustration on the smaller rivers. Most skilled fishermen are.  But every year newbies show up with everything in their arsenal. I found treble hooks once in a while. Let's just report obvious violations and stop stereotyping.  Let's not start the shame-you game. So if one is skunked for coho for a few trips, then he hits a good day, and he keeps his limit, he is a meat fisherman. Go figure.  ???  Thanks Rod for your moderation on the heated subject.  :)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2005, 08:53:41 PM »

yes rodney, i do understand you piont, but honestly, i think that 2 coho maximum is plenty. And i do understand the gas thing, as i was going to release a coho that was still chrome but was darker then normal and my dad said it will be a good smoker, bonk it. for the gas we spent going out here, and my dad have a 454 7.3 litre big block chev and let me tell you 100$ to go to the vedder and back. so fish dont really pay for much of the gas, even if you limit out. the only fish that would pay for you gas would be sockey at 50$ a fish. But big steel does agree. at least 2 fish is sufficent enough for a person.  and now a days the chance of getting 4 coho in a day are slim so why not reduce it a little. not trying to come across as a little S**t head either. but this is my personal opinoin. :)

Sounds like it needs a tune up, even at a buck a liter  :P

My thoughts on the whole snaggery is that salmon should not be retained past the non-tidal mark, but thats unlikely.  If you want to have lots of nice peacefull fishing, target another species, cause theres lots of other fish that are a blast to catch, and plentiful if you are lucky.

5 out

dnibbles

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 10:52:10 PM »

gm65, I hope you are not trying to troll on the subject of bashing sockeye fishermen as snaggers.  I think we have debated long enough on that subject already on this forum.  This forum does not sanction such name calling on sockeye fishermen.  Many of them are skilled steelheaders and coho fishermen. They BB for sockeye because it is acceptable to DFO as an effective fishing method for sox.  Flossing is intended to hook the mouth of the fish, whereas snagging targets the body, particularly the soft underbelly, and most snaggers do not release a snagged fish.  Most sockeye fishermen released fish caught in the body.  No one I know among my sockeye fishing group is using 12' leader and a bettie on the smaller system.  On fishbc forum, some posters from Alska claim they use the term 'lining' over there.

I understand your frustration on the smaller rivers. Most skilled fishermen are.  But every year newbies show up with everything in their arsenal. I found treble hooks once in a while. Let's just report obvious violations and stop stereotyping.  Let's not start the shame-you game. So if one is skunked for coho for a few trips, then he hits a good day, and he keeps his limit, he is a meat fisherman. Go figure.  ???  Thanks Rod for your moderation on the heated subject.  :)

Using gillnets is acceptable to DFO. So is decimating rebuilding runs to the point of near extirpation. Doesn't mean I should do it too. Not if I have any personal ethics at all. Make up a different name for snagging the dorsal fin, call it backscratching, does that make it better? Same as lining or flossing, just a different word.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2005, 11:36:40 PM »

There we go again.  I am begining to doublt some remanants of a closed anti-flossing site making a drift to this site.  Why are so many newbies having such strong opinion on flossing all at a sudden.  Time for some quality control before this site becomes another battle field of some biased people.  No one says you have to be a DFO fan. But they set the rules and they enforce the rules.  All free-willing citizens can partake in a legal fishery, and it is none of the business of others. Don't try to jam your idea about ethics down the throat of others. Without hijacking this thread, I will close my case.  If some one wants to start a flossing debate, it should be done in a different thread. :)  But then, It is steelhead season upcoming, not sockeye.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 11:58:47 PM by funfish »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005, 02:45:05 AM »

The bottom line is, daily quota designation should be decided by the fishery managers. If the harvest opportunities are there, then they should be given. What you and I should be pushing for, is more permanent enforcement officers in our regions to enforce the existing regulations that can make a difference.

Totally agree.
From what I understand from my neighbour (87 years old) In the old days, Greater Vancouver has less than 1M population. 1 fisherman can land a good number of salmon, steelheads easy. But as population grew and living standards change, more and more people takes up golfing, fishing, and other outdoor activities. Resources are depleted, and hatchery were placed in popularly fished rivers to 'keep' these recreational fishing population happy. In a way, because of easy access and enhanced stock, fishing catch rate are high in  these rivers such as Vedder, Chehalis, Capilano... and this inturn keeps anglers from moving outside of these hatchery enhanced rivers, therefore wild stocks in other river system are safe.

Angling also started as a method of gathering food not sport. Many catch fish for food. Some like there table fare bought from market, some like to catch their own. What's wrong in keeping your catch? Some people might only get to fish once a week or may be months. They would hope to limit out what they catch, also might have large family. Some might call them meat fisherman, but those meat fisherman might also think why put pain to those 10, 20 fish when just fishing for fun or sport?

I believe so long there is enough brood stock returning to hatchery DFO will not likely to change daily catch limit in these hatchery stock enhanced rivers.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 09:58:34 AM »

Nope. have only been on the frazer/harrison once and that was with a guide, they were using 12 foot leaders and b.b.'s and were fishing for chum to use for sturgen bait that way...when i asked them about it they told me that that was an accepted way to fish ( a small bead or piece of wool keeps it from being considered "illegal")....as when people are paying for the trip they expect fish....i tried it, snagged a tomatoe and went back to my own method...legal or not, i didn't like fishing that way, it takes the sport out of it for me at least...

I've been told that that is how you fish for sockeye by a few guys...i was also told that if i thought it was bad at suicide creek wait till i see sockeye season....you know i willl probably try it but if its that bad i won't fish it...nothing is worth that aggravation..

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005, 02:06:26 PM »

haha
weeeeeeeeeow!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 03:55:12 PM »

thats also known as the norrish river that connects with the dewdney slough. just after inch creek hatchery. was there today and went for a walk downstream........fresh bear tracks nearby. also some fresh coyote tracks near the edges of the river. decided to head the other way  back towards the bridge. I'm adventurous but not stupid.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2005, 05:11:08 PM »

You are right redtide,i was there today and  saw a lot of fresh bear tracks,way more than chehallis,so be careful

Big Green Machine

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2005, 12:51:49 PM »

I would use a float to reduce snagging

How would this help?  The long leader will still swing through a school of fish - only higher in the water.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2005, 01:32:50 PM »

Use a shorter leader.

Big Green Machine

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2005, 01:22:53 PM »

I agree that a shorter leader will reduce the chances of a foul hooked fish, but the chap mentioned he uses a float to reduce snagging.  I am sure he meant FLOAT PLUS SHORT LEADER as I've seen people flossing using a long leader with AND without floats.