Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56593 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 08:10:06 AM »

How can you wake up early on a winters month go to the river stand there in the cold the whole day praying you will get a wish on or if your SUPER LUCKY a couple on. Coho is hard to catch sometime but steelhead is just too insane.

if you haven't tried it....do so..the anticipation on the drive to the river....suitin' up in a snow storm.....frozen fingers that can't lite your smoke.....scanning the river for likely spots to drop yout float above....a quiet time to sort out all the lil' probs that infect our daily lives...no wife naggin' bout last weeks garbage still on the deck...no worries bout the dog $h!t you left in the yard...it'll b there when you get home ;D....and breathin' in all that nature....is the elexir of life....if you are into fishin' for the fish....steels may not b for you....its the trip...not the destination that calls me........just my thoughts...;))

mojo the BC steelie virgin...lots of Ont steelies tho

?....how far do I need to travel from Oliver to experience some decent steelie action??

Mojo buddy if you are ever down here give me a call and I will gladly take you out. Either to the Vedder or some of my honey holes.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »

MARK
 All steelhead form the Chilliwack Hatchery are adipose fin clipped prior to release. Fish are removed from Cap trough's, clipped and then put into the rearing channels for the remainder of the their time at the hatchery. On a very small percentage of fish the adipose fin may regenerate if it was a poor clip.
Thanks Buck!!!!! ;D ;D  The aura is back!!!!As Coho Cody likes to say "there is no better head than a WILD steelhead"!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 08:37:02 AM »

Mojo buddy if you are ever down here give me a call and I will gladly take you out. Either to the Vedder or some of my honey holes.

Thankx for the offer Eddie99....when would be the best "window" of opportunity that way????....will b discussin' this with Val....serioulsy wanna git some steelie time in this yr....just may b time to check out my trailer..and dust off ol' handleless....;)))

mojo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 08:39:08 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »

I  would think that feb would be the start of the best time.  Allthough, last year it really seemed to pick up in march and april!!!! ;) ;)  I like fishing more in dec, Jan and feb myself though.  A lot less people out on the river.  When it starts to warm up, you see more and more people coming out!!!! 8) 8)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »

i always tend to fish the vedder earlier in the season (Jan-Feb.), then most of my local rivers later on from march - april

My biggest and nicest steelhead:

No_way

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 11:40:59 AM »

How can you wake up early on a winters month go to the river stand there in the cold the whole day praying you will get a wish on or if your SUPER LUCKY a couple on. Coho is hard to catch sometime but steelhead is just too insane.

Some people just don't get it. ::)

No, they don't do they.  It's like the people that wonder why we spend all this money on gear and bait when we can just buy the fish!!
Like explaining colour a blind man.  ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 12:48:01 PM »

Well if some people don't get it, ei; floater for instance, then I feel bad for them, they are totally missing out!!!!! :P :P  But look at the bright side, this will leave so much for space for us fishermen to work with!!!!! ;) ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »

I agree steelhead fishing is by far the greatest type of fishing.
weeeeeeeeeow!

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 01:31:44 PM »

I have heard from several reliable sources that a steelie was landed in the Vedder recently. Can't tell you if it was wild or a hatch.

I agree with everyone that Steelhead season is the best, especially in December and January when only the diehards are out. Nothing like fishing in the blowing snow with frozen guides and getting rewarded with a chrome bullet.

I find steelies are easier to entice than coho. If you find a steely in a pool or a run it'll pounce on your bait, compared to 200 ho's in a pool that move out the way when the bait goes drifting by.
I've never had trouble hooking one, but after 30 years of steelheading it's harder to get out of bed when the northeaster's a howling.  ;D

north

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »

The ultimate thrill is catching them on the fly.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2005, 01:43:06 PM »

Some people just don't get it. ::)

No, they don't do they.  It's like the people that wonder why we spend all this money on gear and bait when we can just buy the fish!!
Like explaining colour a blind man.  ;)
So your sayings its physically different than going out right now and getting a coho, except right now you will probably get that coho and not freeze your butts off. I think some people take fishing to seriously i dont think its good for you to be sitting in cold water all day for a fish. You scan screw up your joints for life like that i dont think a fish is worth it. I can just go to bed and dream i caught a steelhead LOL! :P
[

No_way

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 01:50:01 PM »

Lol!!

I remember this time I was bar fishing for steellies and it was so cold that as we talked little pieces of spittle would fly out of our mouths, freeze and then bounce on the ground.  Actually that was kind of stupid.  Didn't even get a bite, which is probably for the best.  I wouldn't really trust any of the knots I tied that day.  ::)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »

The ultimate thrill is catching them on the fly.
I hope to find out that! well at least for salmon next year im dropping my gear and going fly all the way!
[

No_way

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2005, 02:17:46 PM »

It's not about the fish floater ::).

No, when was the last time you fished in a ditch?  Correction: it's not all about catching the fish.

People say that all the time, but it is all about the fish.  Trying to catch the fish.  The anticipation of catching a fish.  Seeing fish.  Touching fish.  Thinking, dreaming, and talking about fish.  It's about the fish.  That why we don't go hiking, or camping, we go on fishing trips!  :D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 02:38:24 PM »

Well, I have a bit of an advantage over most!!!! ;D ;D  I spent 21 years in Winnipeg, where it was winter about 81/2 months out of the year!! ;) ;)  So the weather out here in Dec/Jan/feb doesn't scare me off that easy.  Do I still get cold, yes, do I care that I get cold and have to run to the truck to warm up a bit sometimes, not at all.  I can't wait to again be one of the diehards that go out in the worst weather possible. ;D ;D